mildew on window trim

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mildew on window trim

Liked
    0 times

Default mildew on window trim

Does anyone else have like a mildewy kind of splotchy residue on the bottom window trim? It's not super bad, but it's annoying me. Got the truck all blinged out, and the trim just doesn't look as good as the rest of the trim pieces. I tried back to black a while back, but that didn't do it. It's still black by the way, not graying or anything..
    I've armor all'ed it, son of a gun'd it, simple green'd it, to no avail... Kind of scared to use a bleach product on it. And I learned years ago not to let Super Clean around anything I own(long story, ends in eating clearcoat off my rims)...
    Any suggestions???
    Blacked out 2003 Limited 4X4 Access Cab with TRD Off-Road Package Debadged
    2.5" Fabtech suspension lift
    3" body lift

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: mildew on window trim

Could you post some close up pictures of it?

Liked
    2 times

i'm thinking tree sap rather than mildew. if that's the case, try a little fine grit rubbing compound or cleaner wax on it. test in inconspicuous place first and then look from all angles to make sure it doesn't cloud the finish. might also try tar and bug remover if it's sap, or goo gone. once get the right cleaner, it will come right off. finish with one of the plastic waxes you mentioned.
    2004 Tundra DC Limited Phantom Perl Gray w/ Oak Leather Interior (power sunroof, Kazuma TRD LSD, Advance 4 panel hard tonneau cover, Hellwig antisway bar, lighted running boards, dual battery setup with 1500 watt 120 volt power inverter, additional 'always-on' 12 volt outlets, aftermarket dual zone heated seat kits, Blizzack W965 LT235/85R16 winter tires on stock steel rims, JBA cat-forward titanium ceramic coated headers, tinted front driver's and passenger's windows, alignment to DJ's specs, Roadmaster VR-3 backup camera, Waeco 12 volt fridge/freezer, and, the best for last.... black rubber floor mats from Sams.) Recently added: baby seat!

Wish list: too long, wife would kill me!

2003 Corolla (bone stock, but well loved and cared for!)

"Expect the impossible."
    - JC and the Brothers of Thunder

Liked
    2 times

I had the same stuff all around my windows, "Brandon1" suggested I use simple green and 0000 steel wool, being careful not to rub on the paint. It all came off with some scrubbing then I went around the window painted area with a light scratch remover. Worked great!!
    Tom
    03 AC SR5 Silver Sky Metallic
    Cab height ARE cap, Westin chrome step bars, tinted front windows 35%, Hella mini foglights under front bumper ,fog lights under the frame to light up the door area, fog lights under rear bumper (factory dash switches for each set of lights),Bedrug, Hellwig swaybar, one-touch window control for both windows,Kenwood DDX-6019 double din dvd unit,2 amps, 2 sets of speakers, 6 disc cd changer,Q-logic sub box, subs, rearview camera, & skid plate.
    Freebies: Power outlet mod,fog light mod, map light mod &, debadged.
    Hope to add: Chrome bull bar, headest monitors for back seat passengers (daughters)
    Waiting for time to install: kicking alarm w/remote start.
    My Website

Liked
    0 times

Well, it's definetly not tree sap, as it's in the garage all the time, and we don't have trees anywhere around.
    I've done the simple green, but not with steel wool, I'm kind of scared of that, even very fine grit, it's a rubber product, wouldn't that mar it up, even with a light rubbing compoundafterwards?
    I'll shoot a pic here in a minute and post it.
    3" body lift

Liked
    0 times

with the flash, they aren't this noticable normally...
    Attachment 11753

this is more what it looks like, and only on the drivers side, very weird..
    Attachment 11754
    3" body lift

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by jasbus
    with the flash, they aren't this noticable normally...
    Attachment 11753

this is more what it looks like, and only on the drivers side, very weird..
    Attachment 11754
    Yeah i have the same it's some kind of rubber mold, i have on the rubber seal on my flares sucks!

Liked
    0 times

so theres no real fix eh? great....

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by UsE_To_RoCk
    so theres no real fix eh? great....
    Sanding and a sealer on the rubber will help but replacing the old rubber is the real fix. Rubber just ages and cracks and mold takes hold wish there was something better than just oiling it.

Liked
    2 times

It does look the same as what I had, and the process I used did work.

Here is a corner I did not get to clean and another showing how good it looked where I cleaned it well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0314.JPG 
Views:	663 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	11756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0317.JPG 
Views:	450 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	11758  
    Tom
    03 AC SR5 Silver Sky Metallic
    Cab height ARE cap, Westin chrome step bars, tinted front windows 35%, Hella mini foglights under front bumper ,fog lights under the frame to light up the door area, fog lights under rear bumper (factory dash switches for each set of lights),Bedrug, Hellwig swaybar, one-touch window control for both windows,Kenwood DDX-6019 double din dvd unit,2 amps, 2 sets of speakers, 6 disc cd changer,Q-logic sub box, subs, rearview camera, & skid plate.
    Freebies: Power outlet mod,fog light mod, map light mod &, debadged.
    Hope to add: Chrome bull bar, headest monitors for back seat passengers (daughters)
    Waiting for time to install: kicking alarm w/remote start.
    My Website

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by tooldud
    It does look the same as what I had, and the process I used did work.

Here is a corner I did not get to clean and another showing how good it looked where I cleaned it well.
    That looks pretty good I'm gonna try that.

Liked
    0 times

Why only the drivers side? It makes no sense. My wifes CRV sits in the same garage, its a 99 with no mold, my last car didn't have it either, had it for 10 years...
    I'm gonna try lightly sanding I guess, I've done lots of body work, guess it'll be close to the same..
    thanks for the replies guys.
    3" body lift

Liked
    0 times

Maybe it's worse on the one side due to more direct sunlight on that side of the car...UV does more damage than anything else to that trim. Just a thought.

I regularly use the 303 protectant, and while my current truck is pretty new to say how it works there, I did use 303 on my OLD Ranger for a number of years, and the trim looked great.

I also hear (no direct experience yet) that this http://www.superiorcarcare.net/pbtr16.html is pretty awesome stuff. I'll be trying it this year on the wifes car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.