Map Light Mod

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Map Light Mod

Liked
    0 times

Default Map Light Mod

I am trying to do the map light mod on my Tundra, but I can't seem to get the lenses off to get to the reflector. I don't want to be to aggressive in trying to pry off the lenses for fear of breaking them off. What is the easiest way to taking them off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default Re: Map Light Mod

I used a thin screwdriver, and found the pivot point, and popped it out. It has to bend a bit, to pop out. I'd recommend doing it when(where) it's warmer ,less chance for breakage.

-g

LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!! My03Tundra's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Near where the "pivot" or hinge piece of the cover is, is the safest place. To be extra cautious just put some electrical tape over the end of your flat screwdriver and pop it off. From there, use a sharp knife to cut the plastic tabs holding the metal piece on and reassemble. By far the easiest modification I've done with my truck. One of the most useful too.
    Is something supposed to be here?

Liked
    0 times

Will this mod work on an 06 DC?

Liked
    0 times

Good Question Microxot..
    I removed my dome light cover, the large one in the center of the cab in my 06..
    I did not find anything to remove from inside the plastic cover when I removed it..
    It seemed to be one complete piece of plastic, with plastic dimples on the inside of the cover..
    2006 BLACK TUNDRA DC 4X4..
    TRD YAMAHA SPECIAL EDITION..
    BFG 265/70/17 T/A KO TIRES..
    A.R.E LSII TONNEAU COVER LID
    BED RUG CARPETED BOX..

Liked
    0 times

What is the map light mod and what is the improvement?

Liked
    0 times

Smooth04..
    There is supposed to be a coating inside the dome light cover..
    Once it is removed, from the inside of the cover, you gain more light..
    The dome light cover, on my 06 D/C, seemed to be one solid molded piece of plastic..
    BED RUG CARPETED BOX..

Liked
    0 times

Their seems to be an misunderstanding here. I am talking about the map lights, which are the ones in front of the cab near the rear view mirror not the dome light located in the middle of the cab. The dome light does not have a reflector piece on the inside.

The map light mod is taking out the map light lenses and removing the small reflecter inside. By removing the reflector it dramatically increases the light coming out.

Liked
    0 times

I removed the reflectors in my 05 DC, but put them back in because it dispersed the light to much I thought. They didn't seem as bright with the reflectors out.
    jk

Liked
    0 times

T100driver..
    jkib..
    Thanks for the clarifiction on the map light mod..
    I will give it a try and advise..
    Cheers..
    BED RUG CARPETED BOX..

Veteran Member
    Liked
    109 times

An old thread of like almost 7 years ago, but I just did this now.

Unscrewed the 2 screws behind the drop down overhead sunglasses door where the map lights are. Pull the entire unit down towards the windshield as there are 2-3 slide in clips that hold the top of the unit in place, then on the inside, pop the clip that allows the map light lens to drop down a bit and pop the lens out.

Pry off the metal reflectors, reinstall and good to go.

Now, it is still daylight out so I have no idea how much brighter the light output really is, but based on looking at the light before and then looking at it after the metal reflector is gone, the light is a LOT brighter. I'll report back tonight when I see how much brighter it actually is.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    109 times

I just went outside to see how much brighter the light is when I open the door(s) and yes, it is MUCH brighter, totally worth the 5 minutes to do the free-mod.

When I got in and hit the map-lights, it was even brighter.

I remember back when I had first joined, I had read about this mod but could never be bothered with doing it. I have had plenty of time lately to do all these mods and they have all been making me very happy. Thanks to the pioneers of all these mods.
    seanpistol likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Not sure I understand why a light would be brighter WITHOUT a reflector in back of it--what am I missing?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    109 times

Quote Originally Posted by gglplex View Post
    Not sure I understand why a light would be brighter WITHOUT a reflector in back of it--what am I missing?
    There is a metal shield with a hole in it where the clear part is on the round part of the map-light lens. Toyota did this to try and concentrate all the light onto a very small part of the drivers/passengers lap. It sucks. It is so dim, as you may well know, that when I took the entire, I think it would/should be called a light baffle if anything, "reflector" off, all the light from the bulb shines the light down inside the truck/our laps.

Map's are so 1980's/1990's what with GPS and all. I sure as heck don't care about worrying about being blinded from someone turning on the light to see anything because if we/I want light, LET THERE BE LIGHT!

In other words, the "reflector" sits between the bulb and the lens, it is very weird but once the "reflector" is gone, it is so much brighter. I'm loving it, especially for when getting in and getting out of the truck.

Liked
    63 times
    Images

It's actually more of a lens cover than a reflector, considering it blocks out light instead of reflecting it. Also, you're doing too much to take the lenses out. Wedge a little screwdriver between the clear plastic and overhead console plastic to get to the 3 tabs and just pop those suckers out. If you wedge a screwdriver in there, you'll see what I'm talking about.
    backstrapgrilln likes this.
    2000 Tundra SR5 2WD... Camburg UCAs, Camburg 2.5" coil-overs, Deaver 10-packs, Bilstein 5100s, Moog LBJs, BFG A/T 285/75/16s, TRD bead-lock wheels, K&N air filter, 18" MagnaFlow muffler, clear corners, Sylvania fog/headlights, full LED conversion, Kenwood head unit & 6-3/4" 3-way speakers, Sound Ordnance B-8PT 8" subwoofer, Coverking neoprene seat covers... so far...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast