1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does water get into an engine?

Liked
    0 times

Question How does water get into an engine?

I have my 2002 Tundra at a dealership for warranty work (5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty). They told me there was water in the engine and that caused a rod to break. I know there was no water in the oil, so that option is out. The dealer is telling me to contact my insurance company to see about a claim because it appears the truck has been through a flood or high water. I have owned the truck almost 1 full year and since I have owned it, it has not been through deep water or a flood. It is parked nightly in my garage and I would know if I had been through some high water or a flood. I don't know much about engines, so I want to know all the possible ways water could get into an engine and cause a rod to break so I will have some "ammo" to go back to the dealer with. The engine has to be replaced at this point...it is just a matter of who is going to pay for it and I would like for it to NOT be me!!

Thanks in advance...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

BFH
    Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: How does water get into an engine?

If you bought it used, go to CARFAX and run a report on your VIN number and see if it was ever flooded before you owned it.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by gardnerma
    I have my 2002 Tundra at a dealership for warranty work (5 year/60k mile powertrain warranty). They told me there was water in the engine and that caused a rod to break. I know there was no water in the oil, so that option is out. The dealer is telling me to contact my insurance company to see about a claim because it appears the truck has been through a flood or high water. I have owned the truck almost 1 full year and since I have owned it, it has not been through deep water or a flood. It is parked nightly in my garage and I would know if I had been through some high water or a flood. I don't know much about engines, so I want to know all the possible ways water could get into an engine and cause a rod to break so I will have some "ammo" to go back to the dealer with. The engine has to be replaced at this point...it is just a matter of who is going to pay for it and I would like for it to NOT be me!!

Thanks in advance...
    It can get in through the air intake system...but that's pretty unlikely unless it has a CAI on it. Like the guy above me...I'd recommend running a carfax on it.
    2003 Access-Cab Tundra SR5
    2005 Black Housing Tails, Clear Corners, Autolumination / Silverstar lights, Magnaflow 3" duals, Toyota of Dallas Grille, PIAA 510's, Westin 3" Bullbar, Putco LED Third Brake Light, Bilstein 5100's, Wheeler's AAL's, 285x70r17 Goodyear Wranglers on Black Rock Viper 900B, debadged, touchscreen headunit w/ back up camera

2010 Yamaha R6
    Just starting the mods.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you push the wall.
    -Unknown

Liked
    0 times

What part of the engine did the water get into? Oil or Intake tract?

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

How much do you trust your dealer? Is it possible they are not telling the truth?

Good luck....
    Thanks
    Chris

01 Sequoia and 95 Avalon.

Supporter
    Liked
    86 times

It sounds fishy to me also. Was there a rod problem with the truck before you took it in? I've heard of hydraulic lock, but that was in the old carburetor days when gas could fill a cylinder if you parked on a severe hill or something. I wonder where they found the water?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Ok first off if the oil was brown and milky looking then it was water, but that would have hydrolocked your engine and not thrown the rod (should not). Second if you have had this truck for almost a year and it was previously in a flood well you would not be driving because it would have hydrolocked along time ago, plus you have done your oil changes so whatever water was in would be gone. Now have you clean out your throttle body recently, although carb cleaner will evaporate like break cleaner, it will also settle in a puddle if you spray a lot of it. this can cause hydrolock to your motor, so word to the wise if you clean your throttle body use an old tooth brush to scrub the plate instead of spraying directly into the throttle plate. Also have you made any new enimies recently if you sometimes leave your doors unlocked somebody could have slipped some water intot he valve cover (and lets hope this is not the case). But if this did happen then you would have never backed out of your drive way. I seriously doubt you had water in your engine, because you drove your truck to the shop. Also if you heard a noise it was more than likely the rod bearing was going out and it went really fast and the rod then broke and caused this problem. I hope this helps you out a little and good luck getting it fixed. your manufacture warrenty will cover this since it is an 02 with 42k miles on it. G'luck

Liked
    1 times

Water in the oil wont cause an engine to hydro-lock. Water in the cylinders WILL cause a hydro-lock. Water doesn't compress like air and fuel will. So something has to give when your engine tries to compress. Usually you will bend a connecting rod. A rod "knock" usually is LOUD and you would have definatley noticed it. Plus your engine wont last long till it breaks the rod and puts a hole in the block. Water in the oil making look like chocolate milk is usually caused from a blown head gasket.

Go to JSIMotorSports.com for billet window hinges.
    NOW IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP

Liked
    1 times

Oh and I have hydro-locked a '93 toyota with a 22re. The water I was crossing came up past the headlights and sucked water through the intake. So hopefully you would know if you were in that deep of water.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Motosickmx
    Ok first off if the oil was brown and milky looking then it was water, but that would have hydrolocked your engine and not thrown the rod (should not).
    Hydrolock is caused by water going into the intake and filling the cylinder with a non compressable causing the engine damage. Hydrolock bends, snaps, punch's wholes in things. It does not cause a bearing failure. It is also instant. You don't get water in the intake and then 5 days later Hydrolock the engine. It will happen right then right now.

Water in the oil will cause bearings to wear, as time goes on the engine "can" overheat. It can also lead to the engine seizing up. This seizing up can lead to a rod, piston, etc breaking. The rod could even go thru the block. You would hear a terrible noise for a good amount of time before hand.

You need to know what they are claiming happened to your truck. It's one of those two above.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Yes i realize i have made a mistake it has been awhile sincei had delt with hydrolocking, but i remember the oil was brown and milky. i did mention that it would not take days. Some times what i am thinking does not come out like i want to. So sorry for the missleading parts, i need to brush up on a few things before i help out i guess. Also thanks to the last two people to post under me for being sporty about my falseness, and not belittling me because i made an error, this forum has the nicest people i have seen and not it is not full of bad mouthing pricks like some others.

Liked
    1 times

No prob. bro, thats why we are here.... to learn from one another.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Motosickmx
    Also thanks to the last two people to post under me for being sporty about my falseness, and not belittling me because i made an error, this forum has the nicest people i have seen and not it is not full of bad mouthing pricks like some others.
    I was not intending to belittle you.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

If you have water in the motor then you either have a blown head gasket or a cracked block. If there is water in the motor it would be in your oil. The story from the dealership sounds peculiar.
    2006 TUNDRA DC SR5 4X4, TRD exhaust, K&N 63 series air charger, Nasta nerf bars, Aries bull bar, SOS Performance Y-pipe

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by bigboycs2001
    If you have water in the motor then you either have a blown head gasket or a cracked block. If there is water in the motor it would be in your oil. The story from the dealership sounds peculiar.
    You could have coolant leaking into the combustion chamber that is vaporized and it would never enter the motor oil. Fairly common on a head gasket that fails.

However in this case I think we are only getting part of the story. I think its either BS or the guy is to clueless to provide any useful information.

Chris

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.