Magnaflow Muffler w/ stock exhaust - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnaflow Muffler w/ stock exhaust

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Magnaflow Muffler w/ stock exhaust

I'm planning on getting a 12586 and painting the muffler and pipes black. Instead of having it exit in front of the rear axle like I used to want, I might just cut it about a foot from where the tip is now (maybe have it bent down a bit) and have it out of sight and away from departure angle damage. that way i can avoid the drone of dumping it and not even worry about a tip- what do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

I don't think the drone is a major issue with the14586/12586 Magnaflow mufflers so, cutting the pipes short to avoid the drone may not be worth the effort. I had the guy at the muffler shop rotate the last section of pipe so the tail end tucks nicely under the body. A 4" diameter double walled stainless steel tip was added so now all you see is a beefy exaust tip out the side and the rest of the pipes are hidden.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by f2f46
    you basically can pick from 18" and 22"

18" is more aggressive and audibly different than stock at most rpms, but most members don't report any cab drone

22" basically sounds like stock at idle, maybe a tad louder at lower rpms but you can hear it open up at higher engine speeds

EDIT: here's a list of the model numbers http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...w-do-you-have/

I was debating on which of these to get. I went down to the local muffler shop and they had the 18" in stock. I took that as a sign, and put the 18" on. F2F46 is right on with the 18's. It is audibly different than stock at most RPM ranges. The low rpm ranges are pretty close to stock. 2000-2700 is where the drone will happen. I can hear a slight drone at those RPM's, but not enough to interrupt a conversation in the cab. And you don't hear the drone all the time, it depends on how hard the engine is working. At high speeds this exhaust sounds awesome! I can't get enough of it. This tank of gas is gonna be gone quick. I'm constantly pushing it so I can hear the "roar."

I'm still in limbo if I want that drone or not. I'll see if it becomes annoying, odds are it won't. I like to listen to the exhaust. But if things do get too loud, I know I can always go to the 22" and be close to stock.

I also don't notice any drop in low RPM power. And I do notice a power gain in the high RPM range... although it could be all in my head.
    2007 Ford F250 SuperDuty Diesel | DSG | 4x4 |

07 Ducati Monster S2R 1000
    98 Yamaha YZ250

Had a Tundy once upon a time...

Liked
    0 times

Anyone with any pics of their exhaust setups?
    1988 PT67 Toyota Supra-far from stock toy
    2003 Tundra- stock "Family" truck
    1998 Ford Explorer AWD- Gone Miss it
    MmMmM Boosted

Quote Originally Posted by knucklebusted View Post
    Once you upgrade from Girlfriend 1.0 to Wife 1.0 you can not keep Girlfriend 1.0 or try to have a second copy of Girlfriend 1.0 stashed away. Wife 1.0 is a total control system anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-extracurricular activity that keeps all the important things safe, even from yourself. Removing Wife 1.0 is very resource intensive and many guys have had to start over.

You have been warned.

Liked
    0 times

Here's a link to the thread I made about my 18" Magnaflow mufflers. There are 4 sound clips. Check it out.
    2007 Ford F250 SuperDuty Diesel | DSG | 4x4 |

07 Ducati Monster S2R 1000
    98 Yamaha YZ250

Had a Tundy once upon a time...

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Tundra
    I don't think the drone is a major issue with the14586/12586 Magnaflow mufflers so, cutting the pipes short to avoid the drone may not be worth the effort. I had the guy at the muffler shop rotate the last section of pipe so the tail end tucks nicely under the body. A 4" diameter double walled stainless steel tip was added so now all you see is a beefy exaust tip out the side and the rest of the pipes are hidden.
    i just meant that i would cut it short to hide it, not to avoid drone- i was going to have it exit just in front of the rear axle but i figure it's easier to just cut it right next to the spare. plus the longer the pipe the better the scavenging, or at least thats the theory

Liked
    0 times

Here are some pictures of how my exhaust came out. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exhaust-1.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	12939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exhaust-2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	12940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exhaust-3.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	12941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exhaust-4.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	12942  

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Is everyone with the Magnaflow exhaust keeping the resonator installed? They took my out and think i have more drone and resonance.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

At first I had mine installed with the resonator, but I went back and had it removed later on. I noticed very little difference...

2006 Tundra Double-Cab X-SP 4WD
    2.5" piping w/ Magnaflow (clip in gallery) - OBX Pedals - 20% Tint - DEBADGED!
    Pioneer Z1 w/backup CAM & ipod - Painted Brake Calipers - ATE Slotted Rotors + Pads
    2.5 Daystar w/ AAL - 275/55/20 Toyo A/T

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

So you dont think adding resonators to my dual in/out 18" magnaflow would quiet it down much? or am i better off getting a 22"? I guess if i told the shop i was unhappy with the 18" they wouldnt replace it for free or just charge me labor?

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I noticed a big difference when I had the resonator removed ,but I only have the single 14" Mag muffler .
    THAT'S THE HILLBILLY WAY
    2006 Limited 4x4 ,Debadged.Westin side bars,Hellwig Sway bar, Lund Deflector ,Snug-Top Expo shell, E7007 Nav ,Magnaflow 14" muffler with resonator removed.
    " If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself " "Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative."

Liked
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I've been searching through the past exhaust ??? threads and have pretty much come to the conclusion to just replace the stock muffler with a magnaflow. From what I have read it is the best way to go about doing exhaust without loosing any low end torque since I will be doing some towing of a 21 ft. deckboat. Which magnaflow should I get? Wanting a nice aggressive sound but nothing annoying! I don't want to loose any performance and try to gain some if at all possible. Appreciate all the help!

A 40-series Magnaflow will give you the most "sound," but if you have a dual cab or access cab, you might discover an annoying drone around 1800-2200 rpm, which is probably the engine range you do most of your driving in. The cab becomes a big echo chamber for the pipes. You can't tell until what it sounds like until you get the muffler installed, and by then it's too late to change your mind, so be cautious. You might want to consider the Magnaflow 50 series. Good luck. Let us know what you do.

Supporter
    Liked
    7 times

Kevo, You could also get a Dyno Max Super Turbo 21 1/2" long and sounds good. I have a dual set up but single would be nice...get the 2 1/2" offset muffler, you'll be happy....CSM-H

PS: Sumitt Auto supply sells these mail order...but it has to be the "Super Turbo" because they are bigger than the regular turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I've been searching through the past exhaust ??? threads and have pretty much come to the conclusion to just replace the stock muffler with a magnaflow. From what I have read it is the best way to go about doing exhaust without loosing any low end torque since I will be doing some towing of a 21 ft. deckboat. Which magnaflow should I get? Wanting a nice aggressive sound but nothing annoying! I don't want to loose any performance and try to gain some if at all possible. Appreciate all the help!

Liked
    1 times
    Images

OK...took the plunge today and got the 12256 Magnaflow. (actually I told my folks that's what I want for Christmas) Great price, $60 delivered! I'm going simple replacement. I think it will be the best set up for me. The catch is, I have to wrap it and put it under the tree Good things come to those who wait.

On a side note...I heard a guys Titan today 5.3 V8 with a dual in dual out 18" Magnaflow and two 4" SS tips (split duals out the back) stock everything else. It sounded really nice. Low rumble on idle and good low rev. It sounded more like a Chevy 350 than a Japanese truck (although IMO Titans have a nice stock sound to begin with) but didn't have that hallow sound like Flowmaster 40s. He has had Flows in the past but said they restricted too much and he thought they sounded like pooh pooh ca ca on Japanese trucks. He put new ss pipes on from the cat back (done a local shop). $350 out the door. He designed it and the shop built it. So it was like a custom catback. Pretty cool.

Liked
    0 times

I am going to take a dive in here, but i am about to jump into this field and also replace my stock muffler with a magnaflow or something else. My tundra is basically used for towing our travel trailer and i need more power when trying to overcome the steep inclines in the Sierra Nevada here in California. I am about to go with the Volant CAI and now deciding what to throw in for an exaust. Everyone has answered the rumble issue and cab droning sound but no one answered his question with a little extra power. Would i have to increase the size of the pipes after the cat and after the muffler or will that decrease the back pressure significantly, can someone shoot me some numbers that i can consider. Like 3" from cat to muff and 2 1/2" from muffler on out? I know very little so if my numbers are ridiculous its just me being ignorant on this topic. Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast