Leaving ignition on the 'ON' position... Hurt the truck??

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaving ignition on the 'ON' position... Hurt the truck??

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Leaving ignition on the 'ON' position... Hurt the truck??

taking the chance on sounding like an idiot here...

i've always heard that leaving a car in the 'ON' position is bad for it... burn out coils...

but i've always heard this from people w/ old cars.. and old ignition systems...

this hurt my 05 tundra?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    479 times
    Images

Default Re: Leaving ignition on the 'ON' position... Hurt the truck??

Quote Originally Posted by hertelbrian
    taking the chance on sounding like an idiot here...

i've always heard that leaving a car in the 'ON' position is bad for it... burn out coils...

but i've always heard this from people w/ old cars.. and old ignition systems...

this hurt my 05 tundra?
    In the old, pre-electronic ignition days, you could burn out the points in the distributor. But since A) Tundras don't have distributors and B) don't have points, it isn't likely to happen to you.

I accidently left mine in the "On" position last week when I meant to leave it in "Accessories". I discovered this after about 4 hours. Except that the battery ran down, I suffered no ill effects.
    Ride: 2001 Tundra SR5, 4WD, The Lean Mean Green Machine, Lift, Front: Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks w/ Total Chaos Diff Drop, Lift, Rear: 1" Wheeler's Blocks, Wheels: Chromed Factory 4Runner Rims, 17", Tires: Bridgestone Revos, 285/70R-17, Performance: Unichip, JBA Titanium Ceramic Headers, Borla Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Optima Yellow-top Battery, "Powered by Decals" decal, Flux Capacitor, Brakes: Upgrade to 2004 Calipers, EBC Slotted/Dimpled rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Interior: Dog Hair on Back Seat, Coffee Stains on Console, Bling: Ivan Stewart TRD Grille, Westin Nerf Bars, Clear Corners & Eurotails, Debadged, Audio: Kenwood DDX512 Head Unit, Kenwood KCA-XM100V Satellite Radio Interface, Kenwood KCA-BT200 Bluetooth Interface, Polk Audio db6501 component speakers (Front), Polk Audio db651s speakers (Rear), Profile AP740 4-channel amplifier, Rockford Fosgate 8 Punch subwoofer (x 2) in Q-Logic enclosure, Profile AP700M mono subwoofer amplifier, Audiovox ACA200W Rear-view camera, Shark Fin Antenna, Other: BedRug, Viair 450C compressor, 2.5 Gallon air tank, Kleinn Pro Series 4-Trumpet air horns, Eye Candy: Hottie Wife in Passenger Seat, Security System: One very large Collie and a High-Energy Shetland Sheepdog who isn't that big, but makes up for it in Tenacity.

Liked
    0 times

What do you mean by leaving it in the "ON" position? While parked, or listening to the radio w/ the truck off?

When I am getting out and am going to be back in it driving away within about 3 minutes or under I always leave the truck running as to not wear the starter.. probably 5-10% of the hours on my engine are idle. I sit in it alot, soccer games, picking up friends, waiting at the grocery store while my gf runs in, loading/unloading tools for jobs.

Probably the longest ive left it running at idle giving it no more gas is about an hour. But I will periodically rev the engine to about 2krpm and hold for about 30 seconds.

Liked
    0 times

I have wondered this too, the longest i have left mine on is about 2 hours, while i was detailing it. I havent noticed any ill effects, but now it seems like it is ok to do, just dont drain the battery all the way down! I leave it in "ON" with the doors open so i dont hear that damned warning beep while im working on the truck listening to the radio

Mods/ UNICHIP, Flowmaster 40(love the sound!!!), Outlaw Cold Air intake, EZ Lift coil spacer, Custom TRD Vynls, Indiglo EL glow guages, 05 Tail Lights, Black Headlights, Bug guard, Line-X bed liner, Pioneer GPS nav unit, Fosgate 300w amp, Infinity 12" sub.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.