start up trouble then rough idle

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: start up trouble then rough idle

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Question start up trouble then rough idle

This is my first post, so hello to all. I have a 2002 Tundra with 75K miles and I have had no trouble what so ever until about a month ago. Sometimes when I start the engine, it will fire up, but runs very sluggish and will eventually stall unless I rev up the engine. After stalling, I can crank it again only to have the same problem. Once I rev it up good and begin to move, I have no trouble unless I am in a parking lot where I have to idle around at low speed (it will stall again). Once I am on the highway, I have no problems, and when I get home, I can cut the truck off and crank it back up and it runs fine. I took it to the dealer two weeks ago and they said the injectors needed cleaning, so I had them clean that for $90, but that has not fixed the problem. After reading other posts, I decided that I needed to clean the Throttle Body and the MAF. I cleaned the TB a week ago and had no trouble until yesterday. I cleaned the MAF today. I cranked the truck up probably five times with no problems but on the next crank the engine was very sluggish, almost as if it was only halfway running. I cut if off and crank it again, and it runs fine. Cut it on and off a couple more times and it runs sluggish. Probably about one out of five cranks results in a sluggish engine. Anybody have any ideas? I did install a K&N air filter about two months ago and it may have something to do with it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: start up trouble then rough idle

first thing that came to my mind was dirty maf... that k&n filter probly did it.. they douche them so bad with the oil when they are first produced (do you remember if it was in a sealed piece of plastic when you first bought it)

anyway as you punch the gas, the oil is so heavy on the filter and it does go through the intake and onto the MAF... i had this problem when i used the TRD air filter (same thing as k&n) on my tacoma... you can use electronics cleaner from radioshack, but any average mechanic you'll see (even a toyota tech did this in front of me) used a can of brakekleen and that did the trick.. but you'll have several electronic junkies yelling up a storm that brakekleen is too strong for the maf...

maybe see if you can snag another MAF from a junkyard and try running a stock filter and see if that helps some...

and just for clarification, your stock air filter does filter air better than the k&n does... you can see right thru k&n's if you hold them up to the sun..

Liked
    16 times
    Images

I've never had this question answered to my satisfaction. I had a '95 4cyl. toyota truck do this badly since new, and my Tundra does this slightly also. The key here is that the truck is warmed up real good, then left to sit for maybe 30min. Start the truck and it takes a little longer of a crank to pop off, and when it does it idles low until you get the RPM's up and some cool air thru it. To me, that's the key--Cool air. So I have to think it's normal, at least to some extent. I think though, that if your truck is stalling, that is NOT normal. /Mike
    2001 2WD Silver Tundra: 4x4 TRD springs, Camburg Uniballs with adjustable Bilsteins, Carson AAL, red/blue Bilsteins in rear, 265/75 Yokohama A/T, IS kit(minus bumper) and rims(hand polished), Billet Wing Window Latch Upgrade, TC Steering Bushings, RF851X amp, Alpine HU, JL 6.5"XR comps, Qlogic with JL 8W3V2 subs. Stebel 300Hz Air Horn.
    202k miles and counting......

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L, black with gray interior.

Liked
    0 times

temperature shouldnt have anything to do with it though... my truck starts the same whether its cold or hot...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Wow - I am having the exact same problem at 76K mile. 2002 V8 tundra. Tough starting, rough idle.....My truck has set codes. Toyota tells me that the injectors are running really rich. 7 out of 8 are running rich/leaky. After engine sits, fuel leaks into cycliner - essentially floods the engine = tough starting. I just posted message pertaining to this issue.
    Toyota quotes - $960 for one injector replacement-includes labor
    Another shop quotes - $183 for injector $90.00 for labor. This shop recommends replacing all 8 injectors for $1900.00

Very upsetting to think injectors have gone bad.

Liked
    0 times

cold stat injector / circuit?
    MODS: (TRD Urban package) - tint, stereo, jack-in-the box antennae ball, and my middle finger.

~ been there, done that, got the panties ~

Liked
    0 times

the injectors shouldn't be faulty... how can the truck run rich if injectors are bad... wouldn't they be clogged??? it must be the control of the fuel flow... meaning MAF ...

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Poor fuel pump electrical connection?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the input. I haven't had any trouble since I cleaned the MAF a couple of days ago, and I am hoping that was the problem. It was REALLY dirty on the upstream side. I'll keep and eye on it and let you all know if the problem returns.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I will try that too. Is is easy? How do you do it?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by cobarr
    Thanks for the input. I haven't had any trouble since I cleaned the MAF a couple of days ago, and I am hoping that was the problem. It was REALLY dirty on the upstream side. I'll keep and eye on it and let you all know if the problem returns.
    Is this an easy thing to do on an 03 Tundra V6?
    Ray Kane
    If you don't try, nothing happens

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kane
    Is this an easy thing to do on an 03 Tundra V6?
    pull it out.. and spray electronics cleaner all inside... let it drip and dry.. re-install.. should be good to go

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Just as an update, I have not had any trouble since cleaning the MAF several months ago.

Liked
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    any average mechanic you'll see (even a toyota tech did this in front of me) used a can of brakekleen and that did the trick.. but you'll have several electronic junkies yelling up a storm that brakekleen is too strong for the maf...
    It doesn't have anything at all to do with the strength of the brake cleaner, it's all a matter of compatability between the item to be cleaned and the solvent itself. Brakleen is a chlorinated solvent, which most electronic cleaners happen to be as well. The difference is that some electronic cleaners contain lubricants, since they are typically used to clean potentiometers - using this would be counterproductive because your trying to remove oil contamination to begin with. Also, car manufacturers won't usually use a material in the intake tract that is not compatible with oil or gasoline (which in itself is a solvent) - the fumes from these alone would deteriorate the plastics and other non metal parts found in the intake. That being said, I think it's safe to say you won't do any harm using brake cleaner (the kind in the red can) to clean your maf sensor.
    2007 Tundra 5.7 4x2 RCSB slate metallic
    2005 Corolla - all stock, cause it's the wifes
    1986 Mustang GT - the stereo is under the hood
    1995 Mercury Villager - the man van

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I had this same EXACT problem with my 02 tundra V6. I did what they said, cleaned the MAF and put a new air filter which were both FILThY! I guess when I went quading in the dunes it jacked up my air filter so now I just change it every time I get back from dusty areas. Just a few bucks. After I cleaned those things up and put some lucas gas additive with some mid grade gas, it runs like a new truck again! I only use 89 now and never cheap gas. Now smooth idle and clean start ups every time. My next mission mission is to clean the throttle assembly and the fuel injectors. Maybe even the pcv valve just for kicks! Well this a lil gem of info for all tundra owners around my year. Before I did these fixes I thought I might have to trade it in. Now I am so glad I get to run my truck alot longer! I love my Tundra!
    Oh yeah! I used this electrical cleaner which worked really well. I sprayed the MAF and immediately seen how dirty it was. Then I used a electrical cleaning swab not a cotton swab which leaves lint and carefully cleaned the metal contacts and the bulb on the end and let it dry. I also cleaned the Air filter housing.
    Last edited by s1cKdave; 09-26-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast