85 Octane gas in the Rocky Mt states ???

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 85 Octane gas in the Rocky Mt states ???

Liked
    1 times

Default 85 Octane gas in the Rocky Mt states ???

I'm driving though Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado this week and noticed that the "regular unleaded" gas is 85 octanes. "Mid-grade" is 88 octane. .

In the west coast states, "regular unleaded" is 87 octane. I double checked the Tundra manual and it requires 87 octane gas.

For all of you in the above mentioned states, do you fill your Tundra up with "mid-grade unleaded"?
    BaseCamp
    Northern California
    2006 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    2005 Camry XLE
    1986 Nissan Hardbody (600,000 miles and counting... )
    2006 Keystone Outback 21RS

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 85 Octane gas in the Rocky Mt states ???

Yupp 85 is our regular, they say with the altitude lower octanes work fine, been running 85 for a while now and no problems.

Mods/ UNICHIP, Flowmaster 40(love the sound!!!), Outlaw Cold Air intake, EZ Lift coil spacer, Custom TRD Vynls, Indiglo EL glow guages, 05 Tail Lights, Black Headlights, Bug guard, Line-X bed liner, Pioneer GPS nav unit, Fosgate 300w amp, Infinity 12" sub.

Liked
    0 times

Ditto above, its all about the altitude.
    Ardnut04
    2004 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    265/70/17 Michelin LTX M/S, Sport grille, chromed factory rims, Challenger Running Boards, Snug Lid SL by SnugTop, Valor chrome Exhaust tip, Burlwood dash by Superior, Putco chrome door handles, door sill protectors, Ventshade wind deflectors, tow package, JBL audio with Bazooka VSE 100watt powered subwoofer, front window matching tint, AND THE TITLE, finally

Liked
    0 times

Ditto, my wifes Passat required 91 in Virginia but we ran 85 up here with no problems.
    Steve
    2006 Tundra DC- Stock except for Dueler REVO's
    2006 Infiniti G35

Liked
    1 times

Thanks all, I'll save some $$$ because I've been buying mid-grade.
    BaseCamp
    Northern California
    2006 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    2005 Camry XLE
    1986 Nissan Hardbody (600,000 miles and counting... )
    2006 Keystone Outback 21RS

Liked
    4 times

I've had my Tundra for five years, and my best MPG have always been when running on 85 octane in Colorado.

~MS

~~MustangSally~~

2001 Tundra Limited
    TRD 4x4
    Imperial Jade Mica/Thunder Gray Metallic

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by BaseCamp
    I'm driving though Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado this week and noticed that the "regular unleaded" gas is 85 octanes. "Mid-grade" is 88 octane. .

In the west coast states, "regular unleaded" is 87 octane. I double checked the Tundra manual and it requires 87 octane gas.

For all of you in the above mentioned states, do you fill your Tundra up with "mid-grade unleaded"?
    I grew up in Colorado and the theory is at higher elevation there is less air so less octane is required. With that in mind, I would never run less than 87 given the opportunity. I did fill my Camaro SS in Colorado a few times and it required 91 octane and I didn't have any problems with the 89. It still ran like a monster and got great mileage.

Another thing to consider is that the computers can handle lower octane that recommended, they will just adjust the timing and reduce the performance. The Acura dealer told my friend that he could run regular instead of premium in his RSX Type S, but that he should pick one and let the computer set itself so the motor would run well. Another example would be in the Camaro racing world. Guys will install mods to allow them to lean out the motors for more power, but if they leave it alone the computer will adjust until it ends up being essentially stock.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.