How often does your low tire pressure light come on?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How often does your low tire pressure light come on?

Liked
    0 times

Default How often does your low tire pressure light come on?

I get a low tire pressure light about once a month. I have the stock tires and stock wheels and just turned 11K on my truck. Tires have been rotated and are still in good shape.

I initially thought this was the result of living in an area where temps went from 40 to -40 in the same day. However I am back in Portland Oregon now and I still get the same problem with out the wild swing in temps.

I usually just air up all the tires and the light goes off, but its kinda a pain having to do it over and over. With my old tacoma I had to add air to the tires maybe once a year.

Is this normal?

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: How often does your low tire pressure light come on?

tires do lose air pressure over time so maybe once a month isnt bad... can you honestly recall if you didnt have that light the last time you checked your tire pressure on all 5 tires every month???

i know i never bothered once a month.. every rotation i checked them though

Liked
    0 times

Never had mine come yet! Went to bigger tires, played with the preasures and still never seen it light up. I don't know if Toyota monitors the spare or not, but if it does, maybe check it.
    2008 Tundra Reg Cab, 5.7L

2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD, Black! (wifes)

Pulling 2001 288 Sunsation with a supercharged HP500EFI.

Liked
    0 times

I think my 05 DC's spare tire is monitored, I have never had the tire pressure light turn on, how many lbs are you putting in them/did they have before you aired up?

Are you driving in streets, or alot of offroad?

Im at 17500 mi.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

3K miles so far and it hasn't come on. Maybe I should test it.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

NEVER (so far)
    '05 Tundra DC TRD 2 WHL: The TOW truck, Spectra Mica Blue, with Kenwood H/U, Kenwood Amp and crossover. Infinity 6010cs, 10" Rockford SUB, 6 disc CD Changer mounted in Center console, SWI-X to retain steering wheel controls, 7" TV with DVD. Tinted Windows, Three chamber Flowmaster, Painted front chrome strip

1994 Toy: The TOY Standard cab, Long travel front pulling13" w/Double fox w/Res, Deaver rear at 18" w/Single 2.5 18" fox w/Res., full glass, Bumper to Bumper cage, Gusseted frame, PRP seats, Crow harnesses, Custom steering(All Heims & Chromoly), Grant steering wheel, Smoothest ride around. OH by the way only 70,000 miles.

Liked
    0 times

Also, after you adjust the tire pressures on all FIVE tires, do you go through the reset procedure? If not, the system may be looking for > 30 psi, for example, and maybe you're setting pressures to 32 psi. Then, if you lose 2 psi in any one of the tires (easy to do just because of temperature swings), the light will come on. If you do a reset, the system will allow about 4 to 5 psi drop before illuminating the light.

The only time my light came on was after the pickup was several months old and the spare tire was 5 psi low (hadn't checked that one).

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemech
    Also, after you adjust the tire pressures on all FIVE tires, do you go through the reset procedure? If not, the system may be looking for > 30 psi, for example, and maybe you're setting pressures to 32 psi. Then, if you lose 2 psi in any one of the tires (easy to do just because of temperature swings), the light will come on. If you do a reset, the system will allow about 4 to 5 psi drop before illuminating the light.

The only time my light came on was after the pickup was several months old and the spare tire was 5 psi low (hadn't checked that one).
    I am not resting it, and from your discription it sounds like the problem I am having. Usually one tire is 1-2lbs below the others and that causes the dash light to come on.

How do you reset the system?

Chris

Liked
    0 times

The owner's manual describes the procedure (can't remember off the top of my head at 3:50 AM). There is a reset button, which in my 2005 regular cab pickup is straight down from the steering column. I believe you turn on the ignition and hold down the button for some amount of time or warning light flashes. But consult your manual; if you don't find it, post again and I'll pull mine out.

Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Liked
    1 times

mine kept coming about every week or so until i found that stupid drywall screw near the inside of the tire, i wanted it patched but it was to close to the sidewall and i had it plugged didnt feel like spending $200.00 on a new tire when i only had 1500 miles
    TUNDRA DC 4WD NATURAL WHITE XSP
    Enkei 20" Deep Six Alloys, ARE LSII Tonneau Cover,Borla Dual Exhaust, LSD, JBL 6 Disc Changer, USA Spec Auxiliary Input, Sirius Sportster, Scanguage w/ Blendmount
    http://www.myspace.com/skiposurfever

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-13-2009, 03:57 PM