TRD Air Filter- Tundra- MPG improvement

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRD Air Filter- Tundra- MPG improvement

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default TRD Air Filter- Tundra- MPG improvement

I have a 2003 Tundra Access Cab V8 4 x 4. I have heard that the TRD Air Filter improves the Tundra's mpg by 3 to 4 miles per gallon. Would appreciate your input if installed the TRD Air Filter. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member student's tundra's Avatar
    Liked
    26 times

Default Re: TRD Air Filter- Tundra- MPG improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Toyotaman
    I have a 2003 Tundra Access Cab V8 4 x 4. I have heard that the TRD Air Filter improves the Tundra's mpg by 3 to 4 miles per gallon. Would appreciate your input if installed the TRD Air Filter. Thanks.
    I racked up some 25,000 miles with the TRD Air Filter on my 03 4x2 and never saw any gains. Swapped it out with a Trueflow filter, not for increases but amazed by the demonstration of its filtration capabilities . However with the oil based air filter, watch out not to put too much oil on the filter as its a good way to ruin you MAF sensor .
    2003 2WD Tundra Imperial Jade TRD offroad
    2.5" Camburg C/O w/ 14" 600lb King springs
    285/75/16 BFG A/T and 16x8 KMC Black Enduro's
    4.30 R/P, Magnaflow 18", Superlift Tru-speed
    Pace Edwards Roll Top Cover, 06 Headlight conversion
    ATS sports grille (Awaiting paint and install)
    Cant leave good enough alone

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Toyotaman
    I've had the TRD, K+N, and Trueflow filters in my 2002 AC V8. I am religious about checking my mileage at each fill up. I saw no improvement in MPG with any of these filters.

I have a slightly used TRD filter available cheap if you want to try it in you truck. PM me if you're interested.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

65,000 miles on TRD filter, no increase in gas mileage. 18 mpg is about the best I get.

Liked
    1 times

If you guys are seeing no gains with your other than stock Air filters, why did you buy them? Do they help at all even, in the performance department?

3 to 4 miles per gallon just from an air filter? Maybe if you're going from a dirt plugged one that is way overdue to a high performance one, but sounds a little insane if you ask me.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by ****e2k
    If you guys are seeing no gains with your other than stock Air filters, why did you buy them? Do they help at all even, in the performance department?
    Along the same lines does it sound any different?
    -GONE- 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 Limited (Spectra Blue Mica)
    -Blue Anodized Valve Stem Caps
    -Undercover Tonneau Cover
    -Ventureshield Transparent Bra
    -Hunter Brush Guard Black
    -Magnaflow 14586 Stainless Steel Exhaust
    -Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip
    -Bedrug Bed Liner

Liked
    95 times
    Images

I was wondering the very same thing.

I purchased a K&N filter a short time after I bought my truck a couple of years ago. I had good experiences with K&N and they last a long time. So I thought I would be saving myself some money. Before installation I read info from this forum and decided not to install because of the possible sensor issue and some have claimed the filter does not do a very good job compared to paper. Recently I found a link to a site where they tested several filters and K&N was at the bottom of the list. AC Delco was at the top. So it still sits on a shelf in my shop. Any takers?
    Rob K.

2006 DC, SR5, 4.7L, 5 speed, 4WD, LSD, Silver Sky Metallic, Keyless Entry, Tow Package
    Rackit (powder coated), Leer 100 w/Windoors, Westin wheel to wheel step bars
    Air lift Ride Control w/Quick Shot and Onboard Air, Bilstein 5100s (middle notch), Wheeler's AAL
    Powerslot cryo rotors, Hawk HD pads
    Bedrug, Slide Master bed-slide, Pop & Lock, Scangauge II, Viper 5601, MB Quart Speakers
    Toyo ATIIs 265/70/17 10 ply / Michelin LTX 265/70/17 Es
    Racor remote transmission filter, All Amsoil synthetic lubricants

Waiting to be installed:
    Eclipse Amp,
    TC steering rack bushings, TC diff drop, Downey end links, Kartec CV boots

Wish List:
    Headers, SS exhaust system, Sliders, Spidetrax
    HD front bumber (Reuenal or ARB), Mile Marker Winch

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Treat others as you would like to be treated

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by highlevel
    I was wondering the very same thing.

I purchased a K&N filter a short time after I bought my truck a couple of years ago. I had good experiences with K&N and they last a long time. So I thought I would be saving myself some money. Before installation I read info from this forum and decided not to install because of the possible sensor issue and some have claimed the filter does not do a very good job compared to paper. Recently I found a link to a site where they tested several filters and K&N was at the bottom of the list. AC Delco was at the top. So it still sits on a shelf in my shop. Any takers?
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't make a living in sales.

Liked
    2 times

I just got a trueflow a few days ago, after following the instructions about getting most of the oil off the filter and what not. I tossed that bad boy in and gave her a test ride. She gave me a check engine light. Needless to say I was pissed. Toss the paper filter back in, reset the code and it never came back. So I know it was the trueflow, was that purchase a waste? I guess so!
    2007 X-Runner

Bring back Dave Peters. lol

Liked
    95 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mwfromva

HAHAHAHA

MWFROMVA, that made me smile and laugh, Thank you.

I wouldn't sell something I don't believe in or feel good about. That's just me.

Actually I make a living in sales... but it is not the typical sales. I am a general contractor so I have to sell my services on a regular basis. I have no problem being up front about what I will or won't do, what products I believe in, and how I work. I do believe honesty is the best policy, it has served me very well.

Wish you the best!
    Rob K.

2006 DC, SR5, 4.7L, 5 speed, 4WD, LSD, Silver Sky Metallic, Keyless Entry, Tow Package
    Rackit (powder coated), Leer 100 w/Windoors, Westin wheel to wheel step bars
    Air lift Ride Control w/Quick Shot and Onboard Air, Bilstein 5100s (middle notch), Wheeler's AAL
    Powerslot cryo rotors, Hawk HD pads
    Bedrug, Slide Master bed-slide, Pop & Lock, Scangauge II, Viper 5601, MB Quart Speakers
    Toyo ATIIs 265/70/17 10 ply / Michelin LTX 265/70/17 Es
    Racor remote transmission filter, All Amsoil synthetic lubricants

Waiting to be installed:
    Eclipse Amp,
    TC steering rack bushings, TC diff drop, Downey end links, Kartec CV boots

Wish List:
    Headers, SS exhaust system, Sliders, Spidetrax
    HD front bumber (Reuenal or ARB), Mile Marker Winch

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Treat others as you would like to be treated

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yallrun
    I just got a trueflow a few days ago, after following the instructions about getting most of the oil off the filter and what not. I tossed that bad boy in and gave her a test ride. She gave me a check engine light. Needless to say I was pissed. Toss the paper filter back in, reset the code and it never came back. So I know it was the trueflow, was that purchase a waste? I guess so!
    Are you sure everything was attached correctly?I've been running trueflow for 3300 miles no lights.They filter better than k&n.My k&n was on the truck for at least 12,000 miles and if you look at it it looks as it did when I took it out of the pack.Now the trueflow on the other hand only 3300 miles and it looks as if its been on there 12,000 miles.My experience trueflow hands down.
    Independent dealer at AMSOIL. http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=5072667

Veteran Member student's tundra's Avatar
    Liked
    26 times

Motion 2nd, I have had my true flow for about 10,000 trouble free miles. As like other oil based filter you must be sure not to over oil the filters or it will cause damage to the MAF sensor and cause CELs.
    2003 2WD Tundra Imperial Jade TRD offroad
    2.5" Camburg C/O w/ 14" 600lb King springs
    285/75/16 BFG A/T and 16x8 KMC Black Enduro's
    4.30 R/P, Magnaflow 18", Superlift Tru-speed
    Pace Edwards Roll Top Cover, 06 Headlight conversion
    ATS sports grille (Awaiting paint and install)
    Cant leave good enough alone

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Al1
    Are you sure everything was attached correctly?I've been running trueflow for 3300 miles no lights.They filter better than k&n.My k&n was on the truck for at least 12,000 miles and if you look at it it looks as it did when I took it out of the pack.Now the trueflow on the other hand only 3300 miles and it looks as if its been on there 12,000 miles.My experience trueflow hands down.
    Yeah it gave me an air fuel mixure code which is uausly MAS failing. So to see if it was my MAS or the True Flow, I tossed my paper filter back in and reset the code with my scan tool. I wanted to see if the error code would came back. It never did, so I was thinking it was the Trueflow. Your post makes me want to toss the TrueFlow back in and see if I get the code again. I will give that a try. Thanks.
    2007 X-Runner

Liked
    2 times

Ok the TrueFlow is back in, I'll test her out on the way to work in the morning. Check me if I'm wrong or the directions are, air enters in the red side and exits the black side, -----> intake.

I'll let ya know in the morning. I put my paper filter and my scan tool in the truck just in case.
    2007 X-Runner

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by mwfromva
    LOL. I was thinking the same thing.

Ryan

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.