Tundra Rotor Replacement

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tundra Rotor Replacement

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Tundra Rotor Replacement

Sorry for an additional post on "brakes." I am a novice mechanic and have searched the site to get a simple question answered but have not found it. I want to replace my rotors and pads. In order to remove the rotors I know that I will have to remove the calipers. Do I have to remove the brake lines in order to move the calipers to a position so I can get the rotors off? The brake line is metal from the caliper to a "bracket" - then it is a rubber line. Will I bend or kink the metal if I don't remove the line?

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Tundra Rotor Replacement

NO, get a piece of coat hanger or wire and just tie them up, do not let hang by the brake hose.
    2014 Toyota Tundra SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red,SR5 upgrade package 4.6L V8
    2013 Toyota Venza Limited Blizzard Pearl,Vent Visors,Auto Start,Weather Tech floor liners and cargo floor liner

"You Can't Fix Stupid"

Liked
    2 times

also, while loose, inspect for any damage to line - kinks, leaks, dry rot, etc.

if you don't break any of the line connections, you won't have to bleed a lot of air out of the lines, although i would suggest a bleed once everything is back together. in fact it is recommended to completely change out brake fluid every few years. it get's dirty from little particles of rubber and attracts moisture. this would be a good time to take care of it.

be sure to inspect the calipers while they are loose for any signs of leakage and lube the moving parts with caliper grease (probably provided in a small tube with the new pads). also, be sure to get them torqued down properly when reinstalling.

while you have the rotor off, check the wheel bearing assembly and on a 2000 model year, i would definitely repack the bearings while you have everything apart.

if you have a hard time remembering how the shims go and what direction the pads go, do one wheel at a time so you can look at the other wheel to see how it goes back together.
    2004 Tundra DC Limited Phantom Perl Gray w/ Oak Leather Interior (power sunroof, Kazuma TRD LSD, Advance 4 panel hard tonneau cover, Hellwig antisway bar, lighted running boards, dual battery setup with 1500 watt 120 volt power inverter, additional 'always-on' 12 volt outlets, aftermarket dual zone heated seat kits, Blizzack W965 LT235/85R16 winter tires on stock steel rims, JBA cat-forward titanium ceramic coated headers, tinted front driver's and passenger's windows, alignment to DJ's specs, Roadmaster VR-3 backup camera, Waeco 12 volt fridge/freezer, and, the best for last.... black rubber floor mats from Sams.) Recently added: baby seat!

Wish list: too long, wife would kill me!

2003 Corolla (bone stock, but well loved and cared for!)

"Expect the impossible."
    - JC and the Brothers of Thunder

Liked
    0 times

I replaced my brakes and rotors about ten days ago. It was not that hard at all. One thing suggested above, which I did not do or even think about, was repack the bearings.

I have never done brake work before, and followed the Haynes manual. I either misread the deal or it is overly cautious but I took off the calipers instead of hanging them by a coat hanger. It actually seemed a little easier with the pressure relieved but I did have to bleed the front brakes once done.

To bleed the brakes, I got a 2' section of plastic tubing at the parts store and attached one end to the bleed valve and the other in a clean gatorade bottle about half full of fresh brake fluid. I topped off the master cylinder and had my wife pump the brakes while I kept an eye on both to make sure the mc did not get too empty and watched until the tubing until it came through without any air. Be sure and start with the passenger side brake first as it is farther from the mc.

I purchased Wagner Quiet Stop ceramic brakes, Raybestos rotors, and brake fluid for a total cost of about $200 for everything.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.