Rear Brake Adjustment

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Rear Brake Adjustment

Liked
    0 times

Default Rear Brake Adjustment

I did a search here but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. My brake pedal was getting pretty sloppy so I decided to adjust the rear brakes. I've got the LSD and it's pretty tough to get a good feel for how tight the brakes are getting. I got them fairly tight and took it for a ride. Boy, does the pedal feel good! However, applying the parking brake I could only get nine clicks or so if I pressed it real hard. The book says 6-9 clicks with 66 lbs. but I'd guess I've got more than that. I still like the feel of the pedal and was thinking that I needed to bleed the brakes to get clean fluid in them ('03, 85k miles, original fluid) until I adjusted the brakes. I'd say, on a scale of 1-10 with 5 being adjusted perfectly I'm at about 6 or 7.

Now, my question is this. I always use the parking brake and I know it adjusts the rear shoes. Will the parking brake loosen the shoes if they are too tight? It wouldn't appear like it would since the little metal tab keeps the star adjuster from going one way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Rear Brake Adjustment

[/quote]
    Now, my question is this. I always use the parking brake and I know it adjusts the rear shoes. Will the parking brake loosen the shoes if they are too tight? It wouldn't appear like it would since the little metal tab keeps the star adjuster from going one way.[/quote]

Did you check/top off the reservoir with fresh fluid before starting?

Self adjusting only works to a certain point (still soft) & then you have to manually adjust the brakes.

I adjusted my brakes by visually watching the gap through the inspection hole at the edge of the brake backing plate. I left about a 64th of an inch.

My brakes were al lot firmer & my emergency brake pedal travel dropped by almost 50% (guesstimate). Nothing has changed with this since I made the adjustment several months ago. I use my emergency brake every day when I park.

HTH

Liked
    2 times

the parking brake does adjust the rear shoes, but the actual cable on the parking brake itself is adjustable where it goes under the truck by the driver's side door. first adjust the rear brakes, then adjust the parking brake cable. here is a good read to learn more about the tundra brakes:

Toyota Tundra Brake FAQ - Maintenance and Adjustment
    2004 Tundra DC Limited Phantom Perl Gray w/ Oak Leather Interior (power sunroof, Kazuma TRD LSD, Advance 4 panel hard tonneau cover, Hellwig antisway bar, lighted running boards, dual battery setup with 1500 watt 120 volt power inverter, additional 'always-on' 12 volt outlets, aftermarket dual zone heated seat kits, Blizzack W965 LT235/85R16 winter tires on stock steel rims, JBA cat-forward titanium ceramic coated headers, tinted front driver's and passenger's windows, alignment to DJ's specs, Roadmaster VR-3 backup camera, Waeco 12 volt fridge/freezer, and, the best for last.... black rubber floor mats from Sams.) Recently added: baby seat!

Wish list: too long, wife would kill me!

2003 Corolla (bone stock, but well loved and cared for!)

"Expect the impossible."
    - JC and the Brothers of Thunder

Liked
    0 times
    Images

i heard from a friend mechanic that another way to adjust the drums in the back is just to put the truck in reverse, back up to a pretty decent speed and just slam on the brakes... do it a couple times and its adjusted. I have the hardest time believing that can even be true...

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tecoya View Post
    i heard from a friend mechanic that another way to adjust the drums in the back is just to put the truck in reverse, back up to a pretty decent speed and just slam on the brakes... do it a couple times and its adjusted. I have the hardest time believing that can even be true...
    Not a good idea; back up softly and apply the brakes not slam the gas and apply the brakes, very good way to glaze the shoes.

Liked
    12 times

adjust the drum brakes with the star wheel ONLY!!!
    there should never be a need to adjust anything having
    to do with the cable. yspert
    Graduated from Y to Z status. I only work for "likes"!

LinkBacks (?)

1. 12-05-2010, 06:10 AM