best upgrades for 2wd for better snow/mud traction

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: best upgrades for 2wd for better snow/mud traction

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default best upgrades for 2wd for better snow/mud traction

Obviously tires but I wondered if I could buy some of those snoclaws or something other than chains w/o spending hundereds on tires I could only use a couple times a year here in Oklahoma. I wish I had a 4wd but love my Tundra otherwise. Also, can a limited slip diff be installed in these trucks? That would help a huge amount I think.

thanks for any ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1526 times

Default Re: best upgrades for 2wd for better snow/mud traction

You can get snow tires with studs, which help significantly on icy intersections, streets, etc. You should be able to get posi as it is available on the same truck as yours. I use 400 lbs of sand just in front of the tailgate to load down the rear tires. Because of the poor weight distribution on a pickup, this helps quite a bit.

The Friendly Dragon by the Sea Puffnstuff's Avatar
    Liked
    179 times
    Images

I would get a lsd/locker rear end and place lots of unshiftable weight in the bed over the rear axle. Otherwise make sure you've got tire chains, shovels and a bag of salt to aid you if you should become stuck. The last time I lived in snow country everything I owned was 4wd.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Get a mechanical locking rear locker. It will cure what ails you.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

You are having the same problem as me. I have been living in Stillwater, but now moved streight north about a mile and a half into Kansas. I have used air lockers on other trucks, but have been looking at elockers mainly but have also wondered about powertrax units because of how easy they install.

What are you thinking about getting? What does everyone think about the powertrax units? Is it worth the extra money and work for the elocker or arb unit?

Liked
    0 times

LSD will help, but you need to load up your bed with a few hundred pounds to get some traction. Very common to see 2wd trucks with sand bags in the back during winter.
    2005 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 4.7L - BFG ATs on MT Classic Locks - Warn M8000

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Have you been around one of the powertrax units before?

Liked
    3 times

I have a Powertrax unit and I personlly love it. BUT, it is not worth it if you drive mostly road. It is street friendly but it still locks every time you hit the gas. So every time your on the gas around a corner that inside tire is spinning just as fast and sometimes can chirp causing added wear. And it does cause some understeer which is quite noticable around a corner when it's wet. So be careful!!!

There is some added wear on the rear tires so I have to rotate often. But when off-road.....it is unbeatable. If you drive mostly road than yes the air-locker is a better bet altough it does cost a lot more.

NOTE: there are some pics in my galley of the No-slip install.
    David~2001 Toyota Tundra 4X4 TRD SR5~SSautochrome headers~Single 2.5" exhaust w/ Flowmaster 50 series delta flow muffler~K&N FIPK intake system w/True-flow filter~ASP underdrive pulley~Custom tuned Unichip (thank you Johan)~Powertrax No-slip~Bilstein 5100 front and rear w/ Deaver 10 pack~Diff breather mod~255/85 BFG M/T on Wheelers Black Steelies Type B~Custom Rocksliders~Skid Row front skid plate~Custom Transfer case skid plate

Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Re: best upgrades for 2wd for better snow/mud traction

I'm in Michigan and my 2WD Tundra does well. I have the factory LSD and as long as your pointing straight when you hit the gas, You will go...A little weight will help as long as its secure. Loose weight will really screw up your truck!
    Motoretro

Liked
    2 times

I have a 2WD Tundra and live in the snow belt so I know what works best. Get an LSD and when it snows add 3-4 cement 8"*16" blocks over the rear axle and you'll get through most any area a good front wheel drive car can.
    stock exhaust
    Formerly Modified JBA headers now SSautochrome headers temporarily
    TRD LSD
    Extang lift off tonneau
    Hankook DynaPro AS RH03
    stock air filter & box

220 HP @ 4800 RPM
    302 TQ @ 3400 RPM
    Run With Spintech Sportsman XL muffler, stock air filter, and JBA headers

208 HP @ 4800 RPM
    285 TQ @ 3400 RPM
    Run With Spintech Sportsman XL muffler, TRD air filter, and stock manifolds

204 HP @ 4800 RPM
    271 TQ @ 3400 RPM
    Bone stock

Quarter mile 15.526 @ 87.17 mph bone stock in 40-degree weather 2WD SR5 V8.
    Quarter mile 15.389 @ 88.66 mph modified in 60-degree weather 2WD SR5 V8.

0-60 IN 6.88 seconds on G-tech
    Dyno run results click here

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

SOrry it took me so long to get back on here, I have been out of town without internet. I woul still really like to do the arb, but will probably buy a powertrax just because of price.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Now need a good recommendation on snow/mud/AT tires

Quote Originally Posted by kirker912 View Post
    SOrry it took me so long to get back on here, I have been out of town without internet. I woul still really like to do the arb, but will probably buy a powertrax just because of price.
    My toyota dealer will install a TRD LSD for about $500. Now I am just shopping for a good set of snow/AT tires. I don't mind having a set just for winter but if they drive nice and are not too $$ I will just leave them on because we do some light off road driving too.

I was thinking of the Goodyear MT/R because of a post here that said they are good for regular highway and last a long time. But the dealer is recommending a set of HerculesTeratrac AT for $107 each, and he can sell me a full set of steel wheels to go with them for about $175.

So, any recommendations on the tires? I don't mind if they are aggressive as long as they don't give up too much in the way of mileage and noise.