O2 sensor for Tundra 2002 (Bank 2 sensor 1)

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O2 sensor for Tundra 2002 (Bank 2 sensor 1)

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default O2 sensor for Tundra 2002 (Bank 2 sensor 1)

Check Engine Light on - below is what advanced auto parts printed out

P0155
    > O2 sensor heater
    > Circuit malfunction
    > Bank 2 sensor 1
    >
    > No faults detected

Where is the best place to get O2 sensors on line and which sensor is Bank 2 sensor 1? Is this one the harder one to change and how long should it take? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: O2 sensor for Tundra 2002 (Bank 2 sensor 1)

Hope this helps. Looks like Bank 2 sensor 1 is the sensor that is in the exhaust that does NOT include #1 cylinder (not sure which side that is) and it is the closest sensor to the engine (the first one).

P0155 - Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

DTC Detection Condition

To obtain a high purification rate of the CO, HC and NOx components of the exhaust gas, a three-way catalytic converter is used. For the most efficient use of the three-way catalytic converter, the air-fuel ratio must be precisely controlled so that it is always close to the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio.

The oxygen sensor has the characteristic whereby its output voltage changes suddenly in the vicinity of the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio. This characteristic is used to detect the oxygen concentration in the exhaust gas and provide the ECM with feedback to control the air-fuel ratio.

When the air-fuel ratio becomes LEAN, the oxygen concentration in the exhaust gas increases and the oxygen sensor informs the ECM of the LEAN condition (small electromotive force: < 0.45 V ).

When the air-fuel ratio is RICHER than the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio, the oxygen concentration in the exhaust gas is reduced and the oxygen sensor informs the ECM of the RICH condition (large electromotive force: > 0.45 V ). The ECM judges by the electromotive force from the oxygen sensor whether the air-fuel ratio is RICH or LEAN and controls the injection time accordingly. However, if a malfunction of the oxygen sensor causes an output of abnormal electromotive force, the ECM is unable to perform accurate air-fuel ratio control. The heated oxygen sensors include a heater which heats the zirconia element. The heater is controlled by the ECM. When the intake air volume is low (temperature of the exhaust gas is low), current flows to the heater to heat the sensor for accurate oxygen concentration detection.

HINT:

• Bank 1 refers to the bank that includes cylinder No.1.
    • Bank 2 refers to the bank that does not include cylinder No.1.
    • Sensor 1 refers to the sensor being closer to the engine body.
    • Sensor 2 refers to the sensor being farther from the engine body.
    Wiring Diagram

Step 1 - 2
    INSPECTION PROCEDURE

HINT: Read freeze frame data using TOYOTA hand-held tester or OBD II scan tool, as freeze frame data records the engine conditions when a malfunction is detected. When troubleshooting it is useful for determining whether the vehicle was running or stopped, the engine was warmed up or not, the air-fuel ratio was lean or rich, etc. at the time of the malfunction.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Looks like from this diagram it's the passenger side exhaust. Note location of "H 5":
    Position Of Parts In Engine Compartment (2UZ-FE) Part 1
    Here's a diagram of the emmision controls:
    Schematic Diagram

Looks like it is going to be the top 02 sensor on the passenger side

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

WOW! that was better response than I had ever hoped for. Now the only questions left are what part number I should order, what brand of O2 sensor should I buy and where is the best price to buy it.

thanks for this great forum.

Mark

Liked
    0 times

I just changed both of my 02 sensors last week. It took a total of 45 minutes, but I think I got lucky. The connectors are the hardest to undo. You will need a 02 socket (Napa-buy the good one, around $20), a 12 in extension, and a socket universal joint. I loosened the sensor a half turn, sprayed on some pb blaster, tightened up the sensor, and then loosened and removed.
    Oh, remove while engine is cold. Like first thing in the morning. Heat will expand things.

P0135 is the driver's side engine side (front) of the cat.
    P0155 is passenger's side engine side (front) of the cat.

I bought mine as a set from toyotaoemparts.com. They are, or used to be a site sponser. They have free shipping over $100. 800-692-6396.
    I think both were about $160.
    If you're replacing one, the other is probably about to go bad.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I will check with toyotaoemparts.com on pricing. When you said that you would change both O2 sensors if I was doing one -- Did you mean to change the other front sensor or the back sensor on the same side as my bad front sensor.

thanks for the help

Liked
    0 times

I meant both front sensors.
    The rear sensors do not seem to be problematic.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

thanks

Liked
    0 times

I just replaced the Bank 2, Sensor 1 and my light came back .... P0155

I replaced the passengers side one, before the cat ... its hard to tell from those diagrams, is there another one on top in the engine bay??

Or maybe I didnt wire it correctly? Bosh universal O2 Sensor, 2 whites, 1 black, and 1 gray wire.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerTundra
    Shelby is right. Chicks dig purple. Buddy of mine has a PURPLE tundra , and he is always gettin compliments from ladies at school on his truck.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by shelbix2020 View Post
    I just replaced the Bank 2, Sensor 1 and my light came back .... P0155

I replaced the passengers side one, before the cat ... its hard to tell from those diagrams, is there another one on top in the engine bay??

Or maybe I didnt wire it correctly? Bosh universal O2 Sensor, 2 whites, 1 black, and 1 gray wire.
    I havent heard anything but bad things about the universal sensors. But the factory ones are not much better. I had mine replaced under the extended warranty and the light came back on(2 days later) for the heater circuits of the o2's that got replaced. Back to the dealer I go, for another replacement set.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

keep us posted on your success at the dealership. I have order two denso O2 sensors and will keep you posted on whether my check engine light comes on afterwards.

Liked
    1 times

Is there a physical difference between the bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1? I purchased a bosch yesterday for B1S1 and the mushroom at the counter sold me the "passenger side" sensor.
    2002 TRD 4WD, Daystar 2.5" w/AAL, BFG TA/KO 285/75/R16's, Custom Tough Country Cow Cutter w/surf rod holders

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanore Roosevelt

Liked
    2 times
    Images

i was told the only difference was the legnth of the wires. just replaced mine bank 1 sensor 1 with universal. very easy to put together and saved lots of cash.

Liked
    1 times

Thanks and you are correct. I just installed my bosch and it was a breeze. The hardest part was installing the electrical splice connector on the sensor side. CEL isn't on and it is not throwing a code to my OBD II. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    2002 TRD 4WD, Daystar 2.5" w/AAL, BFG TA/KO 285/75/R16's, Custom Tough Country Cow Cutter w/surf rod holders

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanore Roosevelt

Liked
    0 times

After a P0155 code, how long can I safely drive before replacing the sensor(s)? I'll be towing a camper the weekend of Oct 12th. Is it a mileage thing, or could damage be done with waiting?
    2002 Tundra Access Cab SR5 V8 4x4 TRD Donahoe Racing adjustable coilover shocks, Total Chaos Fabrication 1 Diff. Drop Spacer, Bilstein 5100 Series shocks, Downey add-a-leafs, Mickey Thompson 16X8 Classic II wheels, Mickey Thompson LT265/75R16 Baja Radial MTX tires, Cooper LT265/75R16 Discoverer M+S tires (for winter), K&N air filter, Westin Signature Series Step Bars, A.R.E. MX Series truck cap, LINE-X spray-on bedliner, AMP Research Bedxtender, Auto Ventshade Ventvisors, Husky Floor Liners front & rear, Reese CLASS III/IV Receiver

2011 South Bay 420CR Pontoon Boat

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.