front speaker mounting depth..fitting 3" depth

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: front speaker mounting depth..fitting 3" depth

Liked
    2 times

Default front speaker mounting depth..fitting 3" depth

I am about to buy some front speakers with a 3" mounting depth. Can I fit these if I make an mdf spacer ring so they come out of the door more? Or will that make the door panel not fit on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: front speaker mounting depth..fitting 3" depth

If you take the whole factory assembly out you can fit them no problem, I just put in a Kenwood head unit with JBL GTO627 speakers all around. Now I just have to mount my Kenwood powered subwoofer on the rear cabin wall, and hopefully I'll have some great sounds in the cab.

Good luck
    MajMike '06 DCab SR5 2wd, Kenwood Excelon X790 w/ JBL GTO627's all around and a Kenwood powered subwoofer mounted on the rear cab wall. WeatherTech custom mats, ARE topper with a BedRug (love it), VentVisors all around and a PowerTrax No-Slip. Next up: Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks w/ 265/70R17 A/T's!

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by MajMike View Post
    If you take the whole factory assembly out you can fit them no problem, I just put in a Kenwood head unit with JBL GTO627 speakers all around. Now I just have to mount my Kenwood powered subwoofer on the rear cabin wall, and hopefully I'll have some great sounds in the cab.

Good luck
    by factory assembly, do you mean the plastic mounting piece? I saw some people had to trim the plastic grill in older posts.

Liked
    0 times

3" might be pushing it. My CDTs are 2.75" deep and I'm a little nervous that they're not going to fit. I'm probably going to try finishing my own MDF rings for mockup and then ordering some. (It looks like a preschooler cut my rings) I'm guessing I'm going to have to do the window track mod, which I'm not too thrilled about. You might be able to do a super window track mod with a crapload of washers to make it fit. Plus, with 1.5" protruding from the door frame, I'm wondering if the door panels will fit back on. Pretty bad engineering as far as I'm concerned on the front door. (rattling windows, shallow speakers, etc...)
    05 Tundra SR5 2wd 2.5 Hoes Total Chaos UCAs JBA Headers 285/75/16 MT/Rs

Searching for rear 4.30 gears. PM me if you've got some for sale.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by murfdaddy View Post
    3" might be pushing it. My CDTs are 2.75" deep and I'm a little nervous that they're not going to fit. I'm probably going to try finishing my own MDF rings for mockup and then ordering some. (It looks like a preschooler cut my rings) I'm guessing I'm going to have to do the window track mod, which I'm not too thrilled about. You might be able to do a super window track mod with a crapload of washers to make it fit. Plus, with 1.5" protruding from the door frame, I'm wondering if the door panels will fit back on. Pretty bad engineering as far as I'm concerned on the front door. (rattling windows, shallow speakers, etc...)
    I'll try it out this weekend. I don't want to do the window track mod either. If its really far off I'll suck it up and put them in the back instead of the 6x9's.
    Which CDT's did you get? I was gonna get ther 61A's but I couldn't resist trying the $79 cadence on ebay.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by adamjt View Post
    I'll try it out this weekend. I don't want to do the window track mod either. If its really far off I'll suck it up and put them in the back instead of the 6x9's.
    Which CDT's did you get? I was gonna get ther 61A's but I couldn't resist trying the $79 cadence on ebay.
    I got the CDT EF-61cf. They seem like they're a quality product. Guess I'm just going to have to fire them up to find out.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

3 inch should fit with an MDF ring and taking the old pastic out, you should have no problem with the doors because with a 2.5 inch depth people usually still have an inch of so left before it will hit the door panel

Liked
    0 times

Taking which part of the plastic out? The grating behind the speaker "grilles" or the bottom front corner? I have yet to bolt everything up and try to fit the speakers, MDF spacers and door panel back on. Which part usually hits the door panel?
    Thanks

Liked
    2 times

FYI....I tried fitting the 3" depth Cadence speakers in the front, they have HUGE magnets....biggest I've seen on 6.5" components. I couldn't get them to fit no matter how i cut/angled/slid down the many spacers I made....I did the window track mod and pushed the track back at least 3/4" if not 1" and I shaved down the speaker grill and the plastic above it on the door panel. No matter what I did I could not get them to fit....I spent all day last saturday trying...gave up frustrated.
    Ordered CDT CL-61A components for the front now (2.5" depth) which should fit fine from my findings.
    Cadence are going in the rear....too bad.

If anyone is interested and thinks it would help others here...I can measure/make a dimensioned drawing of them so everyone can make them before ripping there doors apart. Let me know if anyones interested.