Oxygen Sensor Recall?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen Sensor Recall?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Oxygen Sensor Recall?

My dealer replaced Oxygen sensors last week. He said it was NOT covered by the recall so I had to pay $223. Anyone know recall details? Thanks. Mine is a 2000, V8 with 100K.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Oxygen Sensor Recall?

I'm afraid the dealer's right. The warranty was extended for the O2 sensors to 5yrs and 90k miles. Yours is past that on both parameters.:cry:
    Sorry.....

RE
    2012 Camry SE
    Bone-stock 05 Access Cab Tundra, V-8, 4x4, TRD Off-Road w/LSD, Spectra Blue Mica

Liked
    1 times

I though it was 7 years and only pre cat sensors, next time have auto zone read you're fault code free, then buy the OEM sensor at the dealer $127 install it yourself you get a year warranty on the part. spend the savings on beer.

Liked
    0 times

Might have been seven years. He's close enough then, he should take it to a dealer and try to get it fixed under warranty.

RE
    2012 Camry SE
    Bone-stock 05 Access Cab Tundra, V-8, 4x4, TRD Off-Road w/LSD, Spectra Blue Mica

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by geneowens View Post
    My dealer replaced Oxygen sensors last week. He said it was NOT covered by the recall so I had to pay $223. Anyone know recall details? Thanks. Mine is a 2000, V8 with 100K.
    Not a recall but a warranty extension.

2000 Through Mid-2002 Model Year Tundra V8 (2UZ-FE Engine) Oxygen Sensor Warranty Enhancement Notice

2000 Through Mid-2002 Model Year Toyota Tundra V8 (2UZ-FE Engine). In recent months, Toyota has received reports of customer concerns regarding the two oxygen sensors located in the exhuast manifolds that monitor exhaust emissions. These oxygen sensors are installed ahead of the catalytic converter and are also known as the Number 1 Oxygen Sensors. To minimize these concerns, Toyota will extend the warranty of these oxygen sensors for illumination of Malfunction Indicator Lamp (check engine light) related to any of the following diagnostic codes (as diagnosed by your local Toyota Dealer): PO135 and P0155.

If your check engine light illuminates, please bring your vehicle into your local Toyota dealer for diagnosis and repair. Please note that a check engine light can illuminate for reasons unrelated to the Number 1 Oxygen Sensors.

This warranty extension is offered for a total period of 7 years or 90,000 miles from the vehicle's in-service date, whichever occurs first, for the failure of eiher of the Number 1 Oxygen Sensors. The specific components covered by this warranty extension are:
    - Number 1 Oxygen Sensor, Bank 1 (left side exhaust manifold)
    - Number 1 Oxygen Sensor, Bank 2 (right side exhaust manifold)
    This offer is limited to your specfic Tundra whose VIN is provided and is subject to the same conditions set forth in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty section of your Owner's Warranty Information booklet*, with the exception of the extended warranty coverage on the oxygen sensors listed above. Please note that this coverage is for warranty work performed at an authorized Toyota dealer only.

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

I was out on milage so bought them and installed them myself. I had been driving with check engine light for a couple years. knew what it was but had not known about warranty extension.

Was a minor pain but since then has been trouble free so the new sensors apparently fixed the problem.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Anyone know if the warranty extension covers Sequoias as well? Mine seem to be working fine, but I've heard of some complaints on the O2 sensors and wonder if the Sequoias are just as prone to Tundras to having issues.
    1988 Nissan 300zx 5spd 80,000 miles
    1995 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 5spd 90,000 miles (sold, frame shot)
    2001 Sequoia Limited 4x4 182,000 miles (some electronic issues, manifolds, otherwise solid and not a single rattle woot)
    2006 Suzuki GS500F 6spd

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by el_madmaster View Post
    Anyone know if the warranty extension covers Sequoias as well? Mine seem to be working fine, but I've heard of some complaints on the O2 sensors and wonder if the Sequoias are just as prone to Tundras to having issues.
    It was only the Tundras, even tho they're the same engines

Liked
    0 times

What all is involved to change the o2 sensors yourself?
    2000 Black Tundra, Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor's, Diamond Audio speakers, K&N air filter, Flowmaster 50, Klasse AIO

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by sadld View Post
    What all is involved to change the o2 sensors yourself?
    Find out which one , unplug the harness use an open or box wrench to unscrew it, screw the new one back in, use never seize compound, they do have a socket borrowed at auto zone, it has a slot for the harness to stick out of, some are rusty and very hard to remove but with the right tool its easy. My fault light went immediately you can reset it by disconnecting the battery several minutes I think.

Liked
    0 times

That's all there is to it? How can you find out which one it is? And is there 02 sensor that's better than another?
    2000 Black Tundra, Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor's, Diamond Audio speakers, K&N air filter, Flowmaster 50, Klasse AIO

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by sadld View Post
    That's all there is to it? How can you find out which one it is? And is there 02 sensor that's better than another?
    To find out go to auto zone auto parts or another local parts store, they will do a code read for free, you have other choices for sensors OEM plug style or wire you're own Bosch, OEM is Densso trust me you want OEM, I prefer OEM densso at the dealer $127 1 year warranty.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by MOREPOWER View Post
    trust me you want OEM, I prefer OEM densso at the dealer $127 1 year warranty.
    Other than being able to plug it in without splicing wires, WHY do I want OEM if I can save considerable bucks using aftermarket?

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by LexusLT470 View Post
    Other than being able to plug it in without splicing wires, WHY do I want OEM if I can save considerable bucks using aftermarket?
    WHY DO i want OEM,
    !. exact replacement, easy install for novice no fooling with wires.
    2. price is reasonable for OEM, from the dealer
    3. easy return of exact part if it fails, no haggle or shipping
    4. dealer 1 year 12k mile warranty, some non OEM only give 90 days
    Its all personal preference, I prefer and have more confidence in OEM parts, and will use them to a degree. if someone comes on here and asks how to install some oxygen sensor, I'm going to recommend OEM, you don't know the skill level of the person asking so why send him down such a road that mite get him in trouble, if you're confident in you're skills and want to take a chance on some really cheap universal parts made who knows where then good luck. theres a sale at 02geek.com
    Last reason, if the other side fails within the year, some one mite be inclined to do a warranty return exchange since they are identical.

Liked
    0 times

Just found out I have both bank 1 and bank 2 #1 sensors bad
    Any one know where I can find them for cheaper then $225. I got that quote from my local Toyota dealer, they are selling both in a kit. They also said they were 2 different parts; can anyone verify that?

It's a a lot cheaper then what the shop quoted me at around $430 with $50 in labor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.