Timing belt change

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fragglebeak

Thread: Timing belt change

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Timing belt change

Hi Everyone,

I'm changing the timing belt on my tundra, which may be for the first time it's ever been done. I'm the second owner on the truck and it's at about 145k miles. After following the Chilton's guide for the tundra I think the guide may be wrong. What happens after following their instructions is the truck turns over but won't start.
    I have both left and right gears aligned with the "I" mark on the engine housing. I used the "T" mark on them to loosen the belt, along with loosening the tensioner. The crankshaft gear notch is aligned with the dot on the engine housing.
    Now the left gear was off by half a notch, but I could not see how to get it any tighter. Would half a notch stop the engine from starting? By notch I mean the grooves in the gear for the timing belt to attatch. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Timing belt change

Also it's a 2000 v8 4wd tundra, 4.7 liter.

Liked
    4 times

here's what the 2002 factory manual says for re-installing the timing belt on the V8:
    3. Temporarily Install Timing Belt
    Notice: The engine should be cold
    (a) Remove any oil or water on the crankshaft pulley, oil pump pulley, water pump pulley, No. 1 idler pulley and No. 2 idler pulley, and keep them clean.
    Notice: Only wipe the pulleys; do not use any cleansing agent.
    (b) Align the installation mark on the timing belt with the timing mark of the crankshaft timing pulley.
    (c) Install the timing belt on the crankshaft timing pulley, No. 1 idler pulley and No. 2 idler pulley.

4. Install Timing Belt
    (a) Install the gasket to the cover spacer.
    (b) Install the cover spacer.

5. Install timing belt guide
    Install the belt guide, facing the cup side outward

6. Install No. 1 Timing Belt Cover
    Install the timing belt cover with the 4 bolts.

7. Install Crankshaft Pulley
    (a) Align the pulley set key with the key groove of the crankshaft pulley
    (b) Using SST and a hammer, tap in the crankshaft pulley.
    SST 09223-46011

8. Install Drive Belt Tensioner
    Install the belt tensioner with the bolt and 2 nuts
    Torque: 16 N*m (160 kgf*cm, 12 ft*lbf)
    Hint: Use a bolt 106 mm (4.18 in.) in length

9. Install Generator

10. Check Crankshaft Pulley Position
    Check that the timing mark of the crankshaft pulley is aligned with the timing mark "0" of the No. 1 timing belt cover

11. Install RH, LH Camshaft Timing Pulleys
    (a) Align the camshaft knock pin with the knock pin groove of the timing pulley, and slide on the timing pulley.
    (b)Using SST, install the pulley bolt.
    SST 09960-10010 (09962-01000, 09963-01000)
    Torque: 108 N*m(1,100 kgf*cm, 80 ft*lbf)

12. Connect timing belt to LH Camshaft Timing Pulley
    (a) Remove any oil or water on the LH camshaft timing pulley and keep it clean.
    Notice: Only wipe the pulleys; do not use any cleansing agent
    (b) Turn the LH camshaft timing pulley. Align the installation mark on the timing belt with the timing mark of the camshaft timing pulley, and hang the timing belt on the LH camshaft timing pulley.
    (c) Turn the LH camshaft timing pulley counterclockwise until there is tension between the crankshaft timing pulley and the LH camshaft timing pulley.

13. Connect the timing belt to RH Camshaft Timing Pulley
    (a) Remove any oil or water on the RH camshaft timing pulley and water pump pulley, and keep them clean.
    Notice: Only wipe the pulleys; do not use any cleansing agent.
    (b) Turn the RH camshaft timing pulley. Align the installation mark on the timing belt with the timing mark of the camshaft timing pulley, and hang the timing belt on the RH camshaft timing pulley.

14. Set Timing Belt Tensioner
    (a) Using a press, slowly press in the push rod using 981-9807 N (100-1,000 kgf, 220-2,205 lbf) of pressure.
    (b) Align the holes of the push rod and housing, pass a 1.27 mm hexagon wrench through the holes to keep the setting position of th epush rod.
    (c) Release the press
    (d) Install the dust boot to the belt tensioner

15. Install Timing Belt Tensioner
    (a) Temporarily install the belt tensioner with the 2 bolts.
    (b) Alternately tighten the 2 bolts
    Torque: 26 N*m (270 kgf*cm, 19 ft-lbf)
    (c) Using pliers, remove the 1.27 mm hexagon wrench from the belt tensioner

16. Check Valve Timing
    (a) Temporarily install the crankshaft pulley bolt.
    (b) Slowly turn the crankshaft pulley 2 revolutions from TDC to TDC.
    Notice: Always turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise
    (c) Check that each pulley aligns with the timing marks as shown in the illustration (picture shows L-CAM and R-CAM marks lining up exactly with marks)
    If the timing marks do not align, remove the timing belt and reinstall it.

17. Tighten Crankshaft Pulley Bolt
    Using SST 09213-54015 (90119-08216), 09330-0021
    Torque: 245 N*m (2,500 kgf*cm, 181 ft*lbf)
    Hope that helps, good luck and let us know what happens... also, if you think I might have made a mistake or typo, let me know and I'll re-check it. I've never done a timing belt, so the best I can do is tell you what my book says.

Good Luck!

Liked
    0 times

You didn't neglect to plug in the camshaft sensor on the left (driver's side) cylinder bank, did you? (You have to unplug it to do the job.)

Half a tooth off won't stop the engine from starting or running, though when I hear "half a tooth off" I am suspicious, since unless there's something strange going on, you should not be able to be off in half-tooth increments. I assume that after installing the belt and tensioner, you turned the engine over (clockwise direction) two full revolutions and checked again. Also, as I recall, there are a couple of different marks on the crankshaft, so if you moved the crankshaft during belt installation, you could create a problem. The manual should be explicit as to which mark to use.

Please post again with your observations. Good luck with it.

Liked
    2 times

You need to verify that you have spark, fuel, and compression in order to narrow it down to the cause of the no start. Put a vacuum gauge on and do a cranking vacuum test. You should have about 2-3 in of vacuum. If you don't have this than you will need to do a compression test to verify that you have compression. Without engine compression the engine won't start; if you don't have either of these things than you probably made a mistake with the timing belt change. Pull off one of the ignition modules/ coils and put a spark plug in it that is grounded so you can see that you have spark when you crank the engine. If you don't have spark than you probably forgot to plug in a sensor like the crankshaft or camshaft sensor. You’ll have to refer to a manual to test those. Last verify that you have fuel pressure by putting a gauge on the shradder valve. Verify that you are getting fuel by putting a timing light on the ground side of the fuel injector. If the engine computer is grounding the injector coil than the timing light will flash when the engine is cranked and if you have fuel pressure than your engine is getting fuel. You can also use a HIGH IMPEDIENCE multi meter but only a high impedience multi meter or you will fry the computer.
    stock exhaust
    Formerly Modified JBA headers now SSautochrome headers temporarily
    TRD LSD
    Extang lift off tonneau
    Hankook DynaPro AS RH03
    stock air filter & box

220 HP @ 4800 RPM
    302 TQ @ 3400 RPM
    Run With Spintech Sportsman XL muffler, stock air filter, and JBA headers

208 HP @ 4800 RPM
    285 TQ @ 3400 RPM
    Run With Spintech Sportsman XL muffler, TRD air filter, and stock manifolds

204 HP @ 4800 RPM
    271 TQ @ 3400 RPM
    Bone stock

Quarter mile 15.526 @ 87.17 mph bone stock in 40-degree weather 2WD SR5 V8.
    Quarter mile 15.389 @ 88.66 mph modified in 60-degree weather 2WD SR5 V8.

0-60 IN 6.88 seconds on G-tech
    Dyno run results click here

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Looking for part numbers for Idler arm pully and tentioner pully, they are skweeking and want to replace.

Liked
    0 times

145K on the original belt.... interesting. I am wondering- what was the conditions of the belt?

My dads 1988 Nissan V6 truck had 205K on the original belt. It was getting pretty thin.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Check the crankshaft timing gear. There should be a small thin gear on either the inside or outside of the gear. This thin gear tells the crank sensor where the crank is in rotation. Check to make sure that none of the teeth on this smaller gear are not chipped or missing. My dad and I run a high line european auto repair shop, but we also service Lexus. We ran into a very similar problem on a Lexus V8. After doing the timing belt, we tried to start it up. The darn thing wouldn't fire. After some asking around, we found that stupid gear was missing a tooth. Never came across that problem before, but there is a first for everything. You've got to be careful with the gear. It is pretty fragile. If you have a chipped or missing tooth, you have to replace the crank timing gear. I hope this helps. Good luck.
    2010 DCab SR5 4.6l Pyrite Mica
    TRD Off-Road Pkg
    TRD perf intake
    TRD rear sway bar

Liked
    5 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdano2z View Post
    Looking for part numbers for Idler arm pully and tentioner pully, they are skweeking and want to replace.
    Gates Part Locator & Interchange if ya want OEM just call Toyota Parts with VIN#! this site also has an OEM Cross Refference capability!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Thumbs up Re: Timing belt change

Thank You! for the link..
    2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab. 2WD. 4.7L V8. Signature Series Rotors. Hawk LTS Brake Pads. Magnaflow 22" Dual Exhaust, Silverline Tips.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Sorry for opening this back up so late, but I have a question regarding this exact problem.

I just installed a new water pump and may have gotten thrown off by the "2 full rotations" for the crankshaft. When I pulled the timing belt off, I may have rotated the crankshaft 360 degrees instead of 720 when I was realigning the TDC mark on the crank pulley with the 0 mark on the cover behind the pulley.

What would the symptom be if I did that? I am experiencing the truck not starting. The sound is new to me...it doesn't click, it is a steady/level sound and the engine clearly isn't turning over. Battery is good, and so is the starter. All relays are good, there is fuel, pump is good. The notches on the backside of each cam gear is lined up even over the "T" right behind the gear, as well as the notch on the crank pulley being lined up correctly. After reading this thread, I am thinking it is either what I just stated (being one full rotation off), or that crankshaft timing gear. Can that gear accidentally be installed backwards and screw things up?

Please let me know what else I should trouble shoot before I go taking all that back off to adjust the crankshaft position.

Thanks

Liked
    0 times

ok i went through all the steps for the tb and wp swap get it all buttoned up and it sputter and wont start I am not sure which didrection the crank gaurd goes on what could i have done wrong? HOW DO I KNOW IT THE TIMING SLIPED DURING THE PROCESS? HOW DO YOU KNOW IF THE TIMING IS OFF AND HOW DO I FIX IT? PS SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE TAKE IT TO THE SHOP!!!! NO BODY SAID THE CRANK BOLT WAS REVERSE OR FORWARD THREAD, NOBODY SPECIFIED HOW TO KNOW IT YOU SCREWED UP. OH AND I USED THE IMPACT ON THE CRANK DID NOT WORK. PICTURES IN THIS THREAD ARE MISLEADING AND THE PDF ON THE TIMINGH BELT LEFT OFF THE WATER PUMP PART. THIS DIY IS A NIGHTMARE, IF ANYBODY HAS ANY IDEAS PLEASE SEND ME A REPLY THANKS

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by valiantjedi View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm changing the timing belt on my tundra, which may be for the first time it's ever been done. I'm the second owner on the truck and it's at about 145k miles. After following the Chilton's guide for the tundra I think the guide may be wrong. What happens after following their instructions is the truck turns over but won't start.
    I have both left and right gears aligned with the "I" mark on the engine housing. I used the "T" mark on them to loosen the belt, along with loosening the tensioner. The crankshaft gear notch is aligned with the dot on the engine housing.
    Now the left gear was off by half a notch, but I could not see how to get it any tighter. Would half a notch stop the engine from starting? By notch I mean the grooves in the gear for the timing belt to attatch. Thanks for any help.
    One thing in your process statements I have to question. What marks on the engine housing
    are you talking about on the crank? There is a small shallow hole in the front of the
    gear. You line it up with the crank mark on the belt, you line the two cam gears up with
    their marks on the belt. The crank mark will be about straight down (if it's the same as
    a 2001 which I think it is.) You have to put the crank pulley and lower cover on before you
    can see the timing mark.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

So... I am about 5 years too late on this one but thought i would post for all those in a simmilar bind like I was last weekend. So I went through everything, my marks were TDC blah blah blah. put it all back together and nothing. It cranked but wouldnt turn over. So with much nausia i took it back apart hoping it was something stupid. I returned the crank 720 and everything still lined up. HMMM... Upon further investigation I realized I had installed the cam shaft sensor ring backwards... DUH. What tipped me off was a frayed belt. So went and got a new belt rpeated the install and blammo started right up. Hopefully it wil go another 180k
    Paparentman likes this.