Has not changing the timing belt in time ever caused a tundra motor to fail? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Has not changing the timing belt in time ever caused a tundra motor to fail?

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Has not changing the timing belt in time ever caused a tundra motor to fail?

Thanks for the info Shaffer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Has not changing the timing belt in time ever caused a tundra motor to fail?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaffer View Post
    Not from what I have heard. I have heard that all of the V6 Toyotas are non-interference. At least the older 3.0L and 3.4L V6s were.
    I have a 1996 T-100 with the 3.4 V6, it has 61,000 miles. when saying it is a non indifference motor what does that mean?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by matt19540 View Post
    I have a 1996 T-100 with the 3.4 V6, it has 61,000 miles. when saying it is a non indifference motor what does that mean?
    1994 3.0 V6 is not! That came from a Toyota certified mechanic to me! Not second hand! There seems to be alot of Toyota hype over this simple Pre-maintanence repair.

Liked
    2 times

Its non-interference. Meaning, if the timing belt breaks, the engine will not be damaged. On an interference engine, it damages the engine severely. The 96' T100 I was considering- the timing belt broke.... they replaced with a new one and all was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by matt19540 View Post

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

GOD!!!No one has answered this mans question!! I am just a curious! I have not heard the first story of anyone saying.."Yep! My motor blew all to hell cause I didn't change the timing belt! I think it's...like a lot of religions..a rumor to generate money! I sold one Toyota truck with 260 K on it and another with 210K on it .Both had origional belts in them! I'm on my 3rd Tundra right now with 120K on it and I'm sleeping great at night. They are like Honda motors...Just keep the fluids changed ..let em breath clean air and they run for ever!.....but pleses.If anyone ..including mechanics..has seen a blown motor because of a busted timing belt...Post IT! Thanks Dale

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I've had 2 timing belts "break". Actually the first one just slipped due to age on a 89' Lemans. Just stopped dead in its tracks at idle coming out of the driveway. Replaced belt and all was well. Second one broke, 55 miles an hour rush hour traffic in a 87' civic, had traffic backed up for miles and felt like an ***, but even worse the engine was gone. Mechanic opened it up and it looked like a grenade went off, not good. Both went between 110,000 and 120,000 miles. Like said before get them changed its not a myth.

Liked
    0 times

I have a buddy who is a certified TOYOTA Mechanic 5yr. he told me the 3.0 & 3.4 v6 are non interference meaning if the belt breaks your stuck on the side of the road. The V8s are interference motors if the belt brakes get your wallet out $$$$$ top end valve train & pistons will be trash. Do you want to take that chance. Not me. Change the belt when toyota recomends do the water pump belt tensioner while your in there. Good luck.

Liked
    40 times

Hello. This is my first post. I just bought a 01 V6 Tundra and the belt was not been replaced yet. It has 170 K miles, but I'm going to replace the T belt very soon. Is it true, that the 3.4 V6 is not an interference engine?

Liked
    2846 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by silet View Post
    Hello. This is my first post. I just bought a 01 V6 Tundra and the belt was not been replaced yet. It has 170 K miles, but I'm going to replace the T belt very soon. Is it true, that the 3.4 V6 is not an interference engine?
    As was stated earlier, the Toyota V6 uses a chain and is NOT an "interference" design.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Goodbye '01 Tundra :( Intrepidyota's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

I did my own timing belt with a friend at 95k miles or so and the timing belt was still in good condition. No real cracking or wear. I won't venture a guess how long it could last, but definitely more than the 95k I ran it.

*edit-just realized this is a really old thread I responded to, haha.
    Even crime wouldn't pay if the government ran it...

'04 Tundra DC 4WD---Alpine 9857/ Infinite Basslink/ Kumho AT's...its a DD/tow rig...what can I say.
    '85 used-to-be-4runner---chopped, tubed, abused

NORTHEAST TOYOTA CRAWLERS

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

just wanted to clarify, somebody mentioned that "all Toy V6's are timing-chain motors", this is not technically correct, as 3vze motors like in 2nd gen 4runners are belt-driven.

I know this is a Tundra forum but somebody uninformed may misinterpret what's being said.

Liked
    16 times
    Images

Damn i thought my 06' 4.7L V8 Tundra had a timing belt? I have 52k on it now so I'm not stressing it yet.

Liked
    15 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Geordybass View Post
    Damn i thought my 06' 4.7L V8 Tundra had a timing belt? I have 52k on it now so I'm not stressing it yet.
    it does. the new 5.7 doesnt but the 4.7 does. i think this thread is funny.....how many times does one have to ask if a certain motor is an interference motor or not hahaha

and yes, they can and will destry a motor on an interference motor when they do break. some break right on time some go twice as far etc. but i'll be replacing mine when i shoudl so as not to worry about it.
    2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    what barney said sounds reasonable
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post
    what barney said sounds reasonable

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

Fact of the matter is if you dont change it at the specific intervals it could be fine, might never break.

HOWEVER:
    Rubber wears out, thats what the belts are made of. Eventually the rubber will begin to crack then begin to fall apart. If the engine is interference it could possibly bend the valves and then your in for more than 500-900 bucks worth of repair-more like 2-5k depending on what went wrong and even then they may not be able to fix it right and you need a new block.

Ive seen plenty of cars, toyota and others with timing belts that literally were disintegrating. You really want to take the chance and save the cash fine by me. If it fails and causes damage im gonna laugh at you till I fall over from lack of oxygen.

And yes the 3.0 and 3.4L V6 uses a belt and is non interference. 4cyl engines use a chain most of the time-not sure about interference.

Liked
    1 times

I think we all agree what would happen to your motor if the T-belt breaks, but has anyone ever heard of it happening like the OP asked? The Service Manager at my local Toyota dealer said they change them all the time but he has never heard of one breaking.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast