How long does a catalytic converter last? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long does a catalytic converter last?

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: How long does a catalytic converter last?

I have a 2000 Access Limited V8 with 200,000 miles on it. About 195,000 miles we watched the "check engine" light up while on vacation 800 miles from home. Code? Bank 2 cat losing efficiency. After we got back home had Bank 1 Sensor 1 failure. What's next????? :sheesh:

Been driving it with no major problems but must replace cat and sensor before the end of May due to annual inspection needed. :-(

OEM Cat = $1,120
    Aftermarket = $350
    eBay = $45 + $35 core charge refunded when they get old one back.

I'm still not complaining. This is the most repair expense I've had in 200,000 miles. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

Oh, yeah, to answer original question.... I wouldn't replace them until they fail! Why waste your money?
    My Ride: White 2000 Tundra Limited Access Cab, V8, 4WD, TRD with 267,834 miles
    MODS:

SUSPENSION: front - Cornfed 2" lift, rear - TRD add-a-leafs. EXTERIOR: Ventvisors, UTR bed liner, Reese hitch ELECTRICAL: Alarm and remote start package, Prodigy Brake Controller ENGINE/DRIVETRAIN:Nitto Trail 285/75/R16 wrapped around Mickey Thompson Classics. Cat Back dual custom exhaust with glass packs and 2 1/2" Stainless tips straight back. Air intake box mod.

Wife's Ride: Gray 2010 Sequoia Limited, 5.7L, 4WD, with 61,104 miles
    MODS:
    EXTERIOR: Weathertech Window Vents

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Magnaflow cats are good replacements, they are higher flow and OBD2 legal, and not that expensive. If you want, you can just buy a larger diameter to match your exhaust setup and have a muffler shop weld it up to your system.
    2006 Tundra Access Cab V8 - TRD
    16x8 Konig Countersteer w/Nitto TerraGrapplers 285/75R16
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear, Wheelers 1.5" rear blocks
    Dynomax cat-back w/Cherry Bomb Pro muffler
    Pioneer headunit w/Alphasonic amp and Sochse speakers
    HID retrofit, Acura TL bi-xenon projectors w/BMW ZKW lenses
    Truxedo Truxport / Trail FX black steps bars / Line-X Xtra

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Hi,

I would love to go non-oem and save myself some money, perhaps on a magnaflow catalytic converter. However, I hear mixed reviews which seems to suggest I should pay more and just go OEM. What are your thoughts?

Liked
    198 times

Quote Originally Posted by ounagi View Post
    Hi,

I would love to go non-oem and save myself some money, perhaps on a magnaflow catalytic converter. However, I hear mixed reviews which seems to suggest I should pay more and just go OEM. What are your thoughts?
    I was told by Magnaflow , their old CAT systems didn't all work on the Tundra As they threw check engine lights. When the truck's ECU does a check it is supposed to do whatever to make it "happy" doing whatever the material Cerium does that is in the stock OEM cat converters.

The newer released/upgraded Magnaflow CATS are supposed to be better and offer a solution to these earlier problems. I would have bought them , but they weren't in stock at the time. If going stock OEM .... be prepared to pay heavily for a pair of them. 1400-1600+ large.
    2003 Toyota Tundra V-8 Access Cab, 4.7L 4x4---(TRD supercharger removed....For Now)
    PolyDyn 3000 degree Ceramic Coated---S&S Long Tube Headers w/ High Flow Catalytic Converters, OEM Toyota Gaskets, studs, nuts
    S&S Y-pipe, BAMuffler, Volant CAI w/ AMSOIL Ea Air Induction Filter # EaAU3560 & Pre-Filter
    305/65/17 BFG KM2 Muds on American Racing ATX: 17" Teflon Coated Aluminum Artillery Wheels
    MOTIVE 4.56 gears: Front & Rear Differential/Axle Bearings: KOYO bearings: Cryo'd, REM polished/Microblue Racing Coated
    Front IFS/Diff: ARB RD90 Locker, ORS Manual hub conversion, Fully Re-Inforced/Gusseted Spindle
    Donahoe Racing Coilovers (cranked 2.5")
    Total Chaos Upper Control Arms With TC Nylatron Bushing upgrade, Poly Rack Bushings.
    Rear Diff: ARB RD129 Locker, ICON 2.5"--- 11" travel piggyback resevoir Rear shocks w/ Deaver G57 10 pack rear springs, Custom U-Bolt Flip Conversion
    Custom 3" Body Lift: Upgraded Grade 8 / F911 1/2" bolts, DayStar Poly Cab Mount Kit
    Custom extended Steering Shaft for 3" BL
    Custom Fitted ARB Sahara Bumper for 3" body Lift with Fog Light Kit and HID converted KC SlimLites in Front and WARN 9.5XP winch.
    All 3: Skid-Row Skid-plates
    Stoptech ST-40 4 piston Calipers
    ---1 Piece: 340mm x 32mm Sport Rotors, Stoptech Street Performance brake pads

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Look in Jegg's or Summit racing for some universal fit high flow cats.
    Doug Thorley ceramic coated headers, SOS high flow Y pipe, Doug Thorley cat back exhaust, K&N drop in filter, Rev-Tek 2.5" lift kit, diff drop, Goodyear Wrangler's 275/70-17's, Dynoed @ 245rwhp

Liked
    2162 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjr4750 View Post
    I was told by Magnaflow , their old CAT systems didn't all work on the Tundra As they threw check engine lights. When the truck's ECU does a check it is supposed to do whatever to make it "happy" doing whatever the material Cerium does that is in the stock OEM cat converters.

The newer released/upgraded Magnaflow CATS are supposed to be better and offer a solution to these earlier problems. I would have bought them , but they weren't in stock at the time. If going stock OEM .... be prepared to pay heavily for a pair of them. 1400-1600+ large.

A few years ago I paid right at $1600 to have my driver's side catalytic convertor replaced by the dealer parts+labor. I had read numerous comments about aftermarket cats not working in our trucks and felt that the OEM was my only choice. Additionally, by having the dealer do it, if anything went wrong the dealer would be liable and not me. I was not interested in doing the work myself in the event anything went wrong (faulty cat, incorrect installation.)

I just looked at the magniflow cats for my truck and they are over $1,000. Even though that is a little less than OEM replacement I would still go OEM simply because of compatibility and warranty concerns.

To date, the passenger side cat has never been replaced on my truck and has over 200,000 miles on it. The driver's side went at around 140,000 miles (I think?)
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12