How long does a catalytic converter last?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does a catalytic converter last?

Liked
    1 times

Default How long does a catalytic converter last?

I have an 02 TRD 4x4 and have 150k miles. I am finally getting around to adding headers and a magnaflow. My brother suggested that while I'm at it I replace the catalytic conveter as well. He says they clog up and sap torque (which is what I'm after). BUT, I don't want to waste money on a replacement if it's not necessary. How can I tell what condition it is in?

THANKS!
    2002 TRD 4WD, Daystar 2.5" w/AAL, BFG TA/KO 285/75/R16's, Custom Tough Country Cow Cutter w/surf rod holders

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanore Roosevelt

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    4 times

Default Re: How long does a catalytic converter last?

Don't know how long they last, but if you do end up replacing them... fyi, there are places that recondition them to as good as new condition and sell them much cheaper than what a new one costs (think $200 instead of $1000).

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

The one on my Dodge Ram truck lasted about 155,000 miles. Don't remember exactly, maybe parts and labor was 200.00. Man, when it went it went. Felt like truck was running on 3 of it's 8 cylinders. Some of the crap went into the muffler and I had to replace it also. I would go ahead and replace it now if it were me.

Liked
    14 times

Quote Originally Posted by usmc grunt View Post
    I have an 02 TRD 4x4 and have 150k miles. I am finally getting around to adding headers and a magnaflow. My brother suggested that while I'm at it I replace the catalytic conveter as well. He says they clog up and sap torque (which is what I'm after). BUT, I don't want to waste money on a replacement if it's not necessary. How can I tell what condition it is in?

THANKS!
    Its hard to tell its condition without hooking up the truck to computerized engine analyzer and run an emission test. Other than that, its just gonna be a wild guess. If the exhaust smells like the vehicles from the 70's or 60's and it has been running like that for a long time, most likely the cat is gone. Some octane boosters will kill the cat too. If the engine is burning oil, the cat can get clogged. Your brother is right in a way. After doing all that mod, time and money spent, why take a chance on a high mileage catalytic converter. Get a new one and have a peace of mind knowing that everything is working up to par.

Liked
    0 times

Cool Re: How long does a catalytic converter last?

Replace them. Sometimes banging with your fist on a cold cat will produce a rattling sound and I think that's pretty much a clue to replace them. There is no temp sensors in the exhaust to warn of excessive temps, or shut the engine down. The extreme temps can occur if the exahust is plugged or say a fuel injector gets stuck wide open and is pumping too much fuel through the engine - the catalyst goes nuclear.

In a perfert world the engine would run so rough, you would know something is grossly wrong and shut the engine down right away, and then have it towed.

However, and in my experience, the dealer or a repair facility might seem close enough to try and drive to. Depending on the location of cat(s) an engine or cabin fires is next. They are hard to put out if you don't have plenty of extingusihers at hand, which you're lucky if you have even one extinguisher in the vehicle.

I didn't mean to sound dramatic, but cats, their performance and condition and lack of engine management tied to them is a pet peave.

Enjoy your new exhaust!
    • SR-5 Access Cab 4X2, Desert Sand Mica
    • V8, Option Combination C (LSD, Tow, Etc)
    • OEM Alarm (RS3200) add
    • OEM Foglamps (w/stalk switch) add

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnie View Post
    the catalyst goes nuclear
    I love your imagery.

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Gut the cat and run straight exhaust. Texas doesn't have state inspection do they? Cats make MPG worse anyway.

For the tree hugging, earth loving, & peace making hippies... save the speech. There is worse pollution in the air than a truck without a cat.

Liked
    8 times

Depending on the condition of the engine a cat converter can last the life of the vehicle. Even minor oil consumption, bad gas/fuel additives or small amounts of coolant can quickly deteriorate a converter. If it were me, I'd pony up the dough and change the converters. I doubt you'll be spending more than an extra $250 to change them. Plus most of the replacement converters flow better than stock, so you'll appreciate the performance gain to boot. The few extra hp you'll gain from removing the cats all together is not worth it, not to mention the $2500 fine if you get caught. Check out the new metallic cats magnaflow sells - these look like they flow very well and are very small, so you can put them in tight locations.
    2007 Tundra 5.7 4x2 RCSB slate metallic
    2005 Corolla - all stock, cause it's the wifes
    1986 Mustang GT - the stereo is under the hood
    1995 Mercury Villager - the man van

Liked
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by FXNGLAS View Post
    Gut the cat and run straight exhaust. Texas doesn't have state inspection do they? Cats make MPG worse anyway.

For the tree hugging, earth loving, & peace making hippies... save the speech. There is worse pollution in the air than a truck without a cat.
    Yes, Texas does have state inspections. And if you live in the Houston (I believe), Austin, DFW, or El Paso areas, you have an emission inspection also.

The actual mileage gains by removing the cat is negligable. A properly functioning cat won't affect gas mileage to where you would see a difference. Now if the cat was plugged in any way, then yes, you could see the difference. But if it's working the way it should, then there's no reason to remove it.

If you're worried about it, replace it. They're not that expensive for a universal fit one. If you were to go OE fit, then yes, those can get expensive and fast. But for the most part, the cat is designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle.

Liked
    1 times

139,000 on my F150 which never saw a garage. 80,000 on my Mazda 626 that was in/out of the garage with a ton of salt on the road. Went through two mufflers and a cat on that damn Mazda. If a cat does go bad, you're in big trouble. The car won't run if it clogs up, as mine did in the middle of traffic on a 7 lane road.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Liked
    0 times
    Images

this review made me laugh:

look unless u want a race car with like a blower on top & NOS installed, don't buy this product.. But if u do purchase it.. you'll help your engine breath more & eaiser.. causing less strain on it.. making more power & improves the fuel combustion.. there- by SAVING YOU MONEY on gas... So long as u don't race it like a stock car ... improves power & fuel consuption by 10% - 15%.

And if u change to a K&N air intake, add a nother 15%-25%, and if u change your muffler, to high flow (u should) add another 5%-10%. With these little changes they all add up to 50% improvment with hardly any heavy redesign change on the car"

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by jdeaton View Post
    this review made me laugh:

look unless u want a race car with like a blower on top & NOS installed, don't buy this product.. But if u do purchase it.. you'll help your engine breath more & eaiser.. causing less strain on it.. making more power & improves the fuel combustion.. there- by SAVING YOU MONEY on gas... So long as u don't race it like a stock car ... improves power & fuel consuption by 10% - 15%.

And if u change to a K&N air intake, add a nother 15%-25%, and if u change your muffler, to high flow (u should) add another 5%-10%. With these little changes they all add up to 50% improvment with hardly any heavy redesign change on the car"
    A good sampling of your typical JC Whitney mensa subscriber.

Liked
    2 times

I have had good luck with original toyota cats. My 93 camry had 304,000 miles on it with the original cat and the car still passed emissions with flying colors. Original cat on my 01 tundra with 115k, 99 camry with close to 100k, and 96 camry with close to 200k.
    Funny thing is with the camry the welds on the stainless exhaust went close to 300k and i replaced everything EXCEPT the cat and it still ran and passed emissions fine.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Well I only put the JCW link up show that there are options. I got one years ago and it worked well, it passed smog tests easily. It also handled the muffler's old job, it was about like having a glasspack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast