Heater/AC blower switch

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Heater/AC blower switch

Liked
    2 times

Default Heater/AC blower switch

My fan switch for heating/cooling is working only intermitantly. I cannot run the AC without it. I turned it back and forth quickly a few times and it started working. And a few times it didn't.
    Think I ought to try some carbon tet?

It either works or it doesn't so I don't think the resistor(s) have anything do with this.
    2003 Tundra SR5 AC V8.

(And for those bird-dogs out there ... I did a couple of searches)

Thanks George 60
    "... nevertheless, thou may chose for thyself ..."
    Mormon Doctrine

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Heater/AC blower switch

I am having the same problem with my 2000 Tundra. I have dealt with this (until I can come up with a fix) by leaving the fan in the "on" position all of the time.

Hope someone can help us troubleshoot.

Thanks

Liked
    0 times
    Images

It still might be the resistor. Mine only worked on high. It was either off (at low, mid 1, mid 2) or working on high. When I took off the old resistor, I found the problem. It was a cold solder joint that broke. I thought, that I could just resolder it. However, apon further inspection the heatsink was cracked. A new one was about $40.00 from the dealer.
    2000 Tundra Access Cab
    Survived 5 tropical storms and 5 hurricanes
    Survived a baseball sized hail storm
    Hosted numerous tailgate parties
    Water balloon refilling depot
    Served as a portable pool

"I remember a Senator once asked me 'when we talk about CIA why we never use the word the in front of it.' And I asked him 'do you put the word the in front of God?'"
    -Richard Hayes, The Good Shepherd

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Default Blower Resistor Location

I have the "fan works only on high" problem on my 2000 Tundra, SR5, extended cab.

I've removed and checked the fan, which seems to be fine. I got some pine needles out of the fan cage, which were making some noises, but other than that it works fine.

I checked the contacts on the blower motor plug, and there is only voltage on these contacts with the switch in the high position. So, with those results and studying the schematic, I am pretty sure it is the resistor.

PROBLEM... :der: I cannot find the B5 blower resistor. The prior post said he found a bad wire solder joint. Any clues on where that would be.

__________________ LATER

I found the resistor mounted in the air inlet duct work. The fusible link had opened, which is what the earlier post referred to as a bad solder joint. It must open when something heats up to much.

So I soldered that back together as a temp fix. The heat absorbing material was disintegrating so I ordered a new resistor. The fan now works fine, so I can use it (just not on the low speed setting which would generate the most heat) for a few days until the new resistor gets here.

Thanks for all the good information on the forum.
    Last edited by dubesrus; 05-03-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Liked
    0 times

If it works only on high or certain positions i'd say resistor, but if it works sometimes on high and others but sometimes not in those same positions i'd say switch. It could be motor, but switch or resistor is more likely, unless your motor is roaring like a motorcycle...

Hope that helps...