1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 Tundra Overdrive Problem

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2005 Tundra Overdrive Problem

I have a fully loaded TRD SR5 Tundra with 40,000 miles. Within the last 1,000 miles the OD Overdrive is turning on and off randomly. Even when the OD light is on it may be on or it may be off. I have to monitor RPM's to determine if it is actually on or off. Many times I have to pull over and put it in park to try and turn it on.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I'm afraid to take it to Toyota and incur a big charge to fix. It seems electronic to me, but what do I know.

Please email me at Hedonic1@aol.com with thoughts.

Many thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Default Re: 2005 Tundra Overdrive Problem

there is a ground wire that runs up into the shifter to the OD light. for some reason, that wire is rubbing on bare metal and depending on how bumpy the road is, it will toggle the OD on or off. the fix? buy a new shifter or just take off the covers and re-route the black ground wire somewhere else and possible some black tape to secure it from future rubbing.

05 Salsa Red Pearl DC
    01 Honda Civic
    95 Acura Integra

Liked
    5 times

I just had the exact same problem with my work truck (but it's a 99 Dodge Ram) and the local Dodge dealer replaced the output speed sensor on the transmission (had a check engine light on also due to the bad sensor). Did an oil change too and charged the company $175 total.

Keep up the hope!!

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonic1 View Post
    I have a fully loaded TRD SR5 Tundra with 40,000 miles. Within the last 1,000 miles the OD Overdrive is turning on and off randomly. Even when the OD light is on it may be on or it may be off. I have to monitor RPM's to determine if it is actually on or off. Many times I have to pull over and put it in park to try and turn it on.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I'm afraid to take it to Toyota and incur a big charge to fix. It seems electronic to me, but what do I know.

Many thanks.
    Did you buy the extended warranty???

Liked
    3 times

At 40k, a 2005 Tundra should still be under factory powertrain warranty 5 yr / 60,000 miles, I say to take it to the dealer

Many thanks.

Liked
    694 times
    Images

I doubt electrical problems are still under warranty but you can ask. As stated above, it sounds like a ground issue, so may be relatively inexpensive to fix.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. Added some pics from Ireland trip to Photobucket link. 2005 reg.cab long bed. A/C, 5 sp auto, cold weather pkg. V8, 4WD, LSD, Desert Sand. LT245-75-16 Firestone Destination AT . ExtangTrifectatonneau. Rugged Liner bedliner, Lund vent visors. Classic Accessories back seat gun case, rear breather mod., Tom Tom 550XXL. Clean Breaze rear sliding window screen. Deer head antennae topper. Willie Robinson bobble head, coon tail on whip antennae, curb feelers, rocks in the hub caps, Rebel Flag on roof.
    http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/Gatorman76_photos/?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Many thanks.
    have having that same problem myself. Very weird when it happens, on, of, says on but off. Did you f d a fix? I am going to look into the ground wire.

justin
    ...Justin

Cheap things aren't good, and good things aren't cheap.

www.myspace.com/mr4x403

Liked
    1 times

I'm having the same overdrive problem on my 2001 Tundra. I can wiggle the shifter and it will go on and off. Guess I'll pull the column apart since I've been through just about every other square inch of this truck!!

Thanks for the heads up!

bomber

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.