How long can a 4runner last? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long can a 4runner last?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: How long can a 4runner last?

I bought an '88 with 108,000 miles and added an other 172,000; 50,000 of which were on logging roads. I had to replace the ball joints twice (hitting potholes at 50 are hard on them - logging roads - no choice) I did the oil, plugs, and other fluids as scheduled (rough service) and the timing belt every 80,000 miles, and would probably still be driving it today if I hadn't been t-boned by a civic doing 50MPH. (BTW, the civic was totaled and I drove home, but the insurance company wrote it off anyway) Anyway, I would have expected to get about 350-400 out of it with regular maintenance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My '94 is still running perfect, and has very very little rust. It will last as long as you take care of it, really. I have like 160,000 miles on it.

_________
    Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets. - Arthur Miller
    electric rc airplanes designer dog beds exercise ball dvd

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

(hi all, I'm a newbie).

My 2000 4Runner (RIP) was going great until I managed to wreck her. I miss that car like crazy.

Had 130k on it. Though, it did need a new catalytic converter about 15k ago that cost a small fortune (something like $2400 - yeah, I used a dealer, time and tools were lacking), so I'd keep an eye out for that, and was one of the few reasons why I didn't immediately go out and get a neused 2000 again.
    Only other things were the typical replacement parts for a car with that many miles on it - water pump, belt replacement etc. Pretty much if you are diligent with fluid and filter changes there isn't much reason why they should go wrong. But they will have problems if they aren't taken care of - my buddy neglected the oil situation in his and ended up throwing a rod.

Have a 2006 SR5 now. It's a nice car, though I swear the ride quality in my 2000 Limited was better (or maybe it was just the leather seats lol).

Liked
    0 times

Driven on offroad obstacles once a month, daily driven by a lead foot, hauls crap a lot and it still runs like new. To bad it doesn't look like new.

2010 International ProStar 13spd, 06 Corolla CE, 02 4Runner SE 4x4 A/T
    1991 Toyota Cressida 5spd M/T Turbo Charged
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Groove View Post
    Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD. You want to hit it, but you fear the consequences.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Just bought a 98 Limited in real good shape. I'm putting new tie-rod's on the front and having to replace a CV boot on the front as well (ripped open somehow). Hope I'm as happy with it as I am with my 01 LC. I live on a dirt road in snow country, and love my 4wd Toyota's!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

This isn't a 4Runner story, but I think is relevant to this thread. I have a friend who has a Land Cruiser, a '99 I think, in fact he and his wife drive his and hers Land Cruisers. His Land Cruiser has 194K on it, and he often uses it to tow uhaul trailers back and forth across the country, moving his two kids back and forth from college. Anyway, he was recently debating whether to buy a newer one or not. His runs perfectly and has no problems, he was just concerned about the miles. He finally just put it in the shop for a top to bottom going over, plus had them put in a timing chain, since it had never had a replacement. I think he got new shocks and a few other misc maintenance items done. Spent something over $2K. He figured he is good to go for a few more years.

My friend is a retired doctor, but his wife, who is also a doctor, still works out of their home, doing research for medical companies, and pulls down about $100K per month. So they could well afford a newer Land Cruiser, or even a brand new one. I kind of admired that he just put some maintenance money in the old one, basically for peace of mind, and kept on motoring, LOL. They have owned Toyotas for years and years. He said once he deviated and bought a Tahoe, and had all kinds of problems, so went right back to Toyotas.

Myself, I drove an 04 Highlander, but am thinking about selling it and buying a used 4Runner in the next few years, so find myself lurking on the 4Runner threads from time to time.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I paid $7k for my 98 4runner with 130k miles. It came out of the shop with only $300 worth of work and everything working fine. It is immaculate inside and out, and if I get less then 200k miles out of it, I'll be surprised. Best money I've ever spent on an automobile. I do love my 01 LC though, what a ride.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Wow!! I have a baby... 2000 4runner with 117K on it. Still going strong. No major repairs, except the Catalytic Converter. That was only because my old one (with about 110K on it) was STOLEN...

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Highest mileage Toyota I saw up close and personal had 475,000 miles on and the guy was still driving it every day. Toy Truck with the 22-R motor.

Then my brother had 330,000 miles on his Tercel before his kid rolled it in a ditch.
    Hank

2007 Tundra SR5 DC LB 5.7, Underseat storage, Sonar, Backup Camera, Prodigy brake contoller, Reese 16k 5'er hitch, Towing Mirrors, Michelin LT AT2 275/65R18/E, Hellwig Helper Springs 2,000 lbs, 7/75 Platinum Warranty from Handy Toyota.

Future mods:
    Stebel 300hz Horn
    Fog Lights

2005 Rockwood 26' 5'er, Michelin LTX MS tires, 270 watts of solar on the roof, 4 T-105 golf cart batteries, Xentrex converter, Outback FX2012T inverter/charger.

If you can't take it with ya, why bother with an RV!

2000 Tundra (bought 9/9/99)
    JBA Headers
    Gone but not forgotten~

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

I had a 98 4Runner that I bought used with 36k on it and when I sold it 3 years ago I managed to put 248k on it. I only replaced the water pump twice as they went bad. (obviously timing belt while I was in there)
    Other than brakes tires and plugs it never needed anything else, no drive-train problems whatsoever. I sold it for $6500 and bought my Tundra.
    I do miss that vehicle, it was a great camping rig and it took me everywhere.

Liked
    0 times

i just bought a 93 4runner with 193k. the only thing wrong so far is the radiator and water pump. engine is amazing. everything works great inside, looking forward to a lot of miles put on this one.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I have an '86 will well over 300k on it. It had 165 on it when I bought it around '98. Beat the snot out of it doing local delivery and also drove it all the way up and down the east coast several times. I have had to do some repairs of course. Still runs great. No engine or trannie rebuild.
    I just bought a 95 with 173000. That's what I consider a "new" 4runner. It's like drivin a Caddy to me......................
    '95 4Runner 2wd, 3.0 automatic 173k
    '86 4Runner 4wd 22re automatic over 300k
    '

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Bought a used 99 4Runner with 100k a few years ago. It now has 217k. Unfortunately had to put new tranny at around 130k and a rear end at about 200k. Other than that, it has been great and still tight as a tick.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Can't wait til my odometer reads 0 again.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I sold my moms 94 with 300k two summers ago to an artist who paid the 4500 I asked because I had all maintenance records and even a log book and receipts for every tank of gas. All that we ever did beyond regular maintenance was a new clutch. Got an email from the guy he has almost 400k from driving all over the country for shows, he needed new breaks... If you treat your toyota well and follow toyotas recommendations it will run forever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast