4Runner V8 vs. V6? (Merged)

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4Runner V8 vs. V6? (Merged)

Liked
    0 times

Default V6 vs. V8 in new 4Runner

From what I have read about the 4 wheel drive models, the V6 gas mileage is 17/20, and the V8 is 16/19.

So why would anyone even bother with the V6 if it really isn't any more economical? Does anyone know how much more the V8 will cost?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Unhappy V6 vs V8

I don't know about price differential ( I would expect $800 - $1000), and your point of fuel economy is well taken; more importantly would be the durability of an aluminum engine in a truck. There is a discussion on that subject on the 4Runner forum at Edmunds.

Liked
    0 times

Smile Love the V8

I got the 03 4Runner with the V8, mainly for towing, but I also had this engine in my Tundra & loved it. My avg gas mileage so far has been 19.7, but I'm still breaking in. Also, the V8 comes with a SEAMLESS 5 speed auto. 1st gear is lower than the 4sp auto in my Tundra and the 4Runner really jumps away from a dead stop!!

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: V6 vs. V8 in new 4Runner

Originally posted by cpate
    So why would anyone even bother with the V6 if it really isn't any more economical? Does anyone know how much more the V8 will cost?
    The question should be how much less will a V6 cost cause we already know what the V8 cost

The V6 has the 3rd gen transmission, no smooth 5 speed

Liked
    0 times

Default Wow

Hey TEFye is your 19.7 highway or city. I must say my city is not close to that at all.

Liked
    0 times

Default MPG

csorey, That was average from when I picked it up at the dealer last Sat to yesterday evening. It was mostly(70%) interstate driving.

Liked
    0 times

Thats good to hear, I thought I was doing something way wrong I guess no matter what it get better gas mileage than my Exploder oops i mean explorer

Banned
    Liked
    2 times

Default Not much different

The V6 is rated at 245hp and 282 lb-ft while the V8 is rated at 235hp and 320 lb-ft. The big torque of the V8 makes
    The big torque? Yeah all 38ft lbs of it. Wow, that's really impressive.

Lets really look at the math here.

V8 has 10HP LESS and 38ft lbs of MORE tourque.
    The V8 version 4Runner is also 100 lbs heavier.

Hmmm. Not a big difference for 90% of all SUV drivers out there.

Towing? Who cares, you can't safely tow more than 5000lbs anyway.

Here is why I think the V8 is a better choice and it really doesn't have much to do with the engine.
    5 speed automatic transmission
    Fulltime 4 wheel drive
    Sounds better
    V8 as an available Super Charger
    Something to brag about with the guys
    Gas mileage is only marginally less than the V6

I am I getting a V8, Yeah you bet!

Here is my question? Why does the smaller V6 have more HP?

Liked
    0 times

I wonder how they restricted the hp on the V8, I thought the Tundra and Sequoia with the same 4.7 had 240/245.

I know that I want the SC when I get it

Liked
    0 times

Now Toyota's website has a full 2 MPG difference for city and hwy for the 4WD version of the 2 engines.

So for me, it will come down to price. I think if the V8 is over $1000-$1500 premium, I will just stick with the V6. I do like that 5 speed tranny in the V8 though...

Liked
    0 times

Default Based on Tacoma??

Edge, I don't think that the 03 4Runner is based on the Tacoma. It is supposed to be an all new frame & if you look at the specs:

Tacoma wheel base is 103.3 or 121.9(ext cab) vs 109.8 4Runner

Tacoma track width is 57.5 & 57.3(R) vs 62(F & R) for 4Runner

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Based on Tacoma??

Originally posted by TEFye
    Edge, I don't think that the 03 4Runner is based on the Tacoma. It is supposed to be an all new frame & if you look at the specs:

Tacoma wheel base is 103.3 or 121.9(ext cab) vs 109.8 4Runner

Tacoma track width is 57.5 & 57.3(R) vs 62(F & R) for 4Runner
    I meant the 2002 model 4Runner was built off the Tacoma platform

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Get the V8.
    IMHO, time will show that the added durability of a iron block V8 will out last and out shine an aluminum V6 especially if your going to put the truck through the paces it was designed for.

This thread reminds me of the old V8 (tomato juice) comercial:
    Years down the road, when that Aluminum block V6 is giving you nothing but headaches and the guys that droped the extra dough for the I-Force have tweaked their Runners into some trai-eating machines, you'll slap yourself on the head and say, "Duh... I could of had a V8!"

Liked
    0 times

Smile I did get a V8!

Yes, get the V8, especially if you want to tow! Saturday I drove the WV Turnpike(mountainous) hauling my sons' two dirt bikes & my 4Wheeler to Mom's Mountain Race Track(www.racemoms.com). The torque of the V8 is awsome. I was pulling a fully enclosed 12 ft(box) trailer with the above equipment, plus coolers, helmets, boots, tools, etc., and the 4Runner pulled it better than my Tundra ever did, plus I got 14.8 MPG. The Tundra would have done about 10-11 MPG on the same trip. I give the credit to the new 5 speed tranny. You always seem to be able to find the right gear. As to why does the V6 have more HP than the V8?? WHO CARES! An engine's power to tow and accelerate depends on the torque. And not just how much torque, but at what RPM does the torque start to peak. HP is a function of torque and RPM.

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Default Re: I did get a V8!

Originally posted by TEFye
    Yes, get the V8, especially if you want to tow! Saturday I drove the WV Turnpike(mountainous) hauling my sons' two dirt bikes & my 4Wheeler to Mom's Mountain Race Track(www.racemoms.com). The torque of the V8 is awsome. I was pulling a fully enclosed 12 ft(box) trailer with the above equipment, plus coolers, helmets, boots, tools, etc., and the 4Runner pulled it better than my Tundra ever did, plus I got 14.8 MPG. The Tundra would have done about 10-11 MPG on the same trip. I give the credit to the new 5 speed tranny. You always seem to be able to find the right gear. As to why does the V6 have more HP than the V8?? WHO CARES! An engine's power to tow and accelerate depends on the torque. And not just how much torque, but at what RPM does the torque start to peak. HP is a function of torque and RPM.
    That is a good point. If the peak HP is at 5,000 rpms, well, who cares? Unless you've never got a stick, you're never really going to run there. It's purely for advertisement. Too, if you put headers on there it would be even more (but you might lose low end torque which is what matters in a SUV/truck anyway unless it's purely for highway use and you don't care about towing).

Rating 250 hp at 5,000 rpm vs 200 at 3,000 is not a fair comparison. It could very well be that the second engine "in the real world" actually has more apparent power. Or what is even more apparent is the torque that is available in the 1,000 rpm to 4,000 rpm range.

Most of the time a v-8 has much more low end "grunt" than a v-6. That's why they seem like such monsters unless you can really run up the rpms and keep them there.

Alan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast