'03 VVT-i V6 Timing Belt or Chain?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: '03 VVT-i V6 Timing Belt or Chain?

Liked
    1 times

Default '03 VVT-i V6 Timing Belt or Chain?

I've heard that the VVT-i V6 in the new '03-'04 4 Runners have timing chains. Is this true? I think having a chain on an engine is a real big advantage as it equals less maintainance costs and less time in the service bay. Also how is the acceleration on the V6s?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra2UZ
    I've heard that the VVT-i V6 in the new '03-'04 4 Runners have timing chains. Is this true? I think having a chain on an engine is a real big advantage as it equals less maintainance costs and less time in the service bay. Also how is the acceleration on the V6s?
    Chain. Plenty of acceleration. When you couple that with the ability to have 2WD, 4WD-Hi and Lo, it's the ideal vehicle. That said, however, if 2WD, etc. was available in a V8, I probably would have bought the V8 this time. The only thing I really miss is the ground clearance on the generation 3s.

Liked
    0 times

Like what Bill said, it's chain driven. the v8 on the other hand is not.

The acceleration on both vehicles are pretty good actually.

As for the ground clearance, unless you're doing any offroading, you won't notice it. Even if you do offroad, as long you pick the right line, the 1" (or so) deduction in height should be insignificant. Don't forget that back in the day, not all rigs were this high and also they used to be happy with their 31"s if that. Trucks have come along way now and we're just gettin spoiled!

In time, we'll have lift parts available. Daystar should be the first with their spacers on the shelves right about now. Others will follow hopefully by the end of the year.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Post V-6 chain

The V-6 has chain driven dual overhead cams. If you remove the oil fill cap and look down inside you can see it. The oil filter is very accessible on the top of the engine which is a great advantage in that the V-8 requires the removal of the steel "skid" plates under the front of the vehicle to get to it's filter.
    I find the acceleration of my V-6 2WD 4Runner to be pretty good at launching its 4,000 pounds. You'll have to drive it yourself to see what you think. One thing I really noticed is that the V-6 handles around corners better because it does not have the extra 150 or so pounds of the V-8 on its front wheels. Good luck with your choice.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dohc
    The V-6 has chain driven dual overhead cams. If you remove the oil fill cap and look down inside you can see it. The oil filter is very accessible on the top of the engine which is a great advantage in that the V-8 requires the removal of the steel "skid" plates under the front of the vehicle to get to it's filter.
    I find the acceleration of my V-6 2WD 4Runner to be pretty good at launching its 4,000 pounds. You'll have to drive it yourself to see what you think. One thing I really noticed is that the V-6 handles around corners better because it does not have the extra 150 or so pounds of the V-8 on its front wheels. Good luck with your choice.
    That's interesting because I've read otherwise elsewhere.

Do you have the same V6 in the 4Runner that they put in the Tundra (3.4l)?

Jeff
    Account no longer active.

Liked
    0 times

Wink

The 03+ 4Runner V6 is a 4.0 litre, and yes, the timing chains are steel. Check your sources.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Billf
    The 03+ 4Runner V6 is a 4.0 litre, and yes, the timing chains are steel. Check your sources.
    If the V6 in the 4Runner is a 4.0 then it's not the same engine as the 3.4 in the Tundra. I've seen pictures of the 3.4 V6 open in the front and it had a V belt... I'll try to track down the photos and post.

Jeff

NAD
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

The 3.4L V6 is belt driven, yes. Completely different engine from the 4.0L V6 in the 4Runner.
    2002 Tacoma 2RZ 5-speed

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NAD
    The 3.4L V6 is belt driven, yes. Completely different engine from the 4.0L V6 in the 4Runner.
    THANK YOU! At least I know I'm not going crazy!

Jeff

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by PXLpainter
    That's interesting because I've read otherwise elsewhere.

Do you have the same V6 in the 4Runner that they put in the Tundra (3.4l)?

Jeff
    No, its a completely different engine than the 3.4 Liter. The 3.4 has an iron block and uses timing a timing belt as opposed to the 4.0 having Aluminum alloy block with chain driven cams.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default fuel rqmnt

What's the fuel requirement? I've seen conflicting info - regular or premium.

Liked
    0 times

Read your owner's handbook. Regular, with premium for improved performance. Drives just fine on mountainous roads around here at 135 KPH with regular.

Quote Originally Posted by xrunner
    What's the fuel requirement? I've seen conflicting info - regular or premium.

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: '03 VVT-i V6 Timing Belt or Chain?

Does the 4.0-liter DOHC EFI V6 in the 2007 Tacomas have a timing chain??

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

The 4.0 V6 uses the chain, the earlier 3.4 V6 has the timing belt.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by 2006trdd View Post
    The 4.0 V6 uses the chain, the earlier 3.4 V6 has the timing belt.