How to change rear shocks on 97 4runner?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to change rear shocks on 97 4runner?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default How to change rear shocks on 97 4runner?

I've got a 97 4Runner and am installing airbags and new shocks in the rear. Took a look under the vehicle and am trying to figure out a better way of getting at the upper mount for the shocks.

Would've been easier if Toyota made an access panel so you could get to the nuts from inside the vehicle, but it appears you have to squeeze two wrenches (one to hold the shock, and the other to turn the nut) between the upper mounting bracket, and the underside of the body.

This is gonna suck to do it while i'm on a creeper.

Aloha!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

There's no easy way. I just changed out the shocks on my wife's 02 4Runner. It's really just a time consuming task...coming off was easy because I was able to get an air wrench with extension up there. Going back on...the air wrench wouldn't fit and I had to crank on the locking nut about an 1/8th of a turn at a time. Besides a really bad cramp in my arm...took about 10 minutes each side (to tighten the nut down). Total install time on the rear was 45 minutes.

Liked
    0 times

Remove the lower shock mount first, then grab the upper part of the shock by hand, put a wrench on the top nut and break the nut free. Afterwards turn the shock body, to remove, holding the wrench in place. Jacking up the back helps give you more clearance to work too.

Liked
    0 times

I did my wifes 99 a few months ago and did exactly what BruceTS described.

Liked
    0 times

Here's a pic after I did mine.

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/bils_rear.jpg

Please refer to http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ad.php?t=33387 regarding image sizes in threads - thanks nhparrot

Liked
    0 times

Here is some info on airbags if it helps you.

www.larsdennert.com/4runner/airlift

Liked
    0 times

Lars, you did yours the hard way! On my '98 LTD, I jacked up the rear of the truck and placed jackstands under the frame so the rear axle could hang down to full droop. I then compressed the bags and squeezed them between the coils into the center of the springs. Note that the jounce bumpers on my '98 were outside of the springs, so removing them was easy.

This worked fine, and I had zero reliability issues with the system over the next 5 years/75K miles, including towing a 4,000# trailer.

Air Lifts are excellent products, IMHO.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.