Multi Mode 4wd in 2wd vs 4wd (AWD) (V6 Only)

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Multi Mode 4wd in 2wd vs 4wd (AWD) (V6 Only)

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Multi Mode 4wd -In 2wd vs 4wd (AWD) (V6 Only)

Here is a question that those who have the V6 4Runner will be able to help with. Unlike the V8 4Runner, the V6 allows for 2wd operation, in addition to 4wd (AWD).

Is there any benefit to operating in 2wd? After all, running in full time 4wd HI mode still allows one to drive on pavement and provides the benefit of a center limited slip differential, which often provides better handling, even in sports cars.

So the BIG question is - what is the benefit of running in 2wd only mode?

I am assuming that 2wd provides better fuel economy- but HOW MUCH better? (2wd vs 4wd full time) Can anyone answer this? Has anyone seen a measurable difference?

Perhaps the other benefit is less wear and tear on the drivetrain, but I doubt that is significant since the V8 and many other vehicles do just fine with AWD.

Of course this question is not about the benefit of locking the center differential. We all know that is for extremely low-traction situations (off road, etc.)

The real issue is the benefit/drawback of full time 2wd mode or full time 4wd hi mode with the center differential open (not locked).

Any comments?

Do you drive your V6 4Runner in 2wd mode or 4wd mode on the highway?

Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default More info regarding Multi Mode in V6

Well, I have been doing some searching on line and here is what I found so far:

QUOTE: "V6 4WD 4Runners are equipped with Toyota's Multi-Mode shift-on-the-fly system with a Torsen-type limited-slip center differential. The driver can shift between 2WD, 4WD High, and 4WD Low. The Torsen center differential is open in 2WD mode. It applies a rear bias in four-wheel-drive mode, splitting torque 40/60 front-to-rear in normal driving conditions, providing the driver with a traditional feel and better stability when accelerating. The 4WD mode may be used in all types of driving conditions on all types of roads, from dry pavement to wet or snow-covered roads. The system gives the 4Runner a sure-footed feel because power is applied to all four wheels, improving traction. When the front wheels slip, up to 70 percent of the power goes to the rear wheels. When the rear wheels slip, up to 53 percent of the power goes to the front wheels."

SOURCE:

http://www.carsdirect.com/research/t...sr5_v6/reviews

...Interesting to see the bias of the center differential.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I drive in 2wd the majority of the time, but switch to 4wd when ever it rains, snows, or when ever I'm on gravel roads. The most I have driven in 4wd at one time is 50 miles so I can't tell you how much of an impact it had on my milage. Regular gas (87) is $2.50+/gallon where I live so I don't use 4wd when I on dry pavement. I'll be in 4wd most of this winter so I have a better idea soon.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Winter has arrived.

I now have a better answer to your question.

The main benefit of operating in 2wd vs Awd is fuel economy!! The V6 operated in full-time Awd gets worse gas mileage than the V8.

I just finished a 435 mile round trip through the Rockies in some ugly winter driving conditions. I got 19 mi/gl for highway driving while averaging 55mph. City driving over the past couple days has been around 14.5 mi/gl. I calculated this #'s, the trip computer shows incorrect mileage. This was also using 87 octane, 91 may have performed better. That will be my next test.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default AWD vs 2wd

Thank you very much for the update. I will look forward to further info from you.

What do you normally average when driving in 2wd? How much is the difference when in AWD? Sounds like about 2-3 MPG from other averages posted!

This is important to us as we are trying to decide whether to purchase the V6 or V8. We will buy before the end of the year.

Gas mileage, cost of repairs/timing belt replacement and full time/part time 4wd all play into our decision.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Average 2wd MPG

Since I bought my 4runner I have put on 11K miles with 95% in 2wd (75/25 city/hwy split) and I averaged 17.5 mpg using 87 octane.

I have done 2 seperate highway trips through the rockies, strictly in 2wd, similar to my Awd trip previously posted, although I was carrying more cargo on these 2 trips. The first with a light foot (55-60mph) I got 23mpg. The second with a heavy foot (75-80mph) I got 21 mpg. Strictly city driving gets me around 16 mpg.

If you think you would want Awd for more than a third of your driving, I would recommed the V8. The fuel economy difference will be negligible at that point. If you maintain/drive your 4runner well you should be okay in either case. I honestly wonder how much wear is caused by simply switching in/out of 4wd. I am goinging to switch to synthetic oils as soon as I can.

You mentioned timing belt maintenance. Do a search on this to get more info because I believe that the V6 has a chain versus a belt which requires far less maintenance. The new V8 may be different.

Good luck with your decision.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by MrTruck
    Thank you very much for the update. I will look forward to further info from you.

What do you normally average when driving in 2wd? How much is the difference when in AWD? Sounds like about 2-3 MPG from other averages posted!

This is important to us as we are trying to decide whether to purchase the V6 or V8. We will buy before the end of the year.

Gas mileage, cost of repairs/timing belt replacement and full time/part time 4wd all play into our decision.

My mom used to have a 4wd pickup that was not equipped with auto 4wd. She hit a patch of ice and then a pot hole and eventually flipped over when she lost control and hit the curb. I swear, if the truck was equipped with auto 4wd the accident of been prevented. That day she was in 2wd mode.

now she has a 4runner with the v8 and full time 4wd which is always on. no more of this switching between 2 and 4 wd.

I would go with the full time 4wd v8.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default AWD Mileage

Thanks for the good information.

So at this point here is a summary of the comparisons for the V6:

19MPG in AWD Highway driving vs 23 MPG in 2wd highway driving

14.5 MPG in AWD city driving vs 16 MPG in 2wd

That is a substantial difference, and as you mentioned puts it into the range of the V8 when in AWD.

I believe most driving we would do would be in 2wd as the vehicle would be driven in California's Central Valley. AWD is nice when the roads are slick from rain, but snow is unseen unless we head to the Sierra.

The 4wd will be very helpful when on muddy jobsites in fall/winter/spring.

You are correct - the V8 has a timing belt that requires replacement at 90,000 miles. The V6 has a timing chain which should last the life of the engine. Timing belt costs do add up over time if a mechanic is hired to replace.

With gas prices on the rise, we have to consider all costs carefully. I will be very interested to see if Octane rating has any effect in your mileage. I would guess that as long as you aren't getting any pinging, the difference would be unobservable.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Multi Mode 4wd in 2wd vs 4wd (AWD) (V6 Only)

I've put on 36K miles on my 2003 v6 4runner all in 4WD mode. When I realized that it could be driven full time in 4WD I never went back to 2WD.

I didn't notice any change in MPG ... even if I did the benefit of being in 4WD would have outweighed 2 MPG difference to me since I was getting:

- better cornering
    - better tire wear

Being able to drive in 4WD on dry pavement is what I miss about my 4runner ever since I traded it in for 2006 Tacoma.