AC Not Working -(Blinking Light)

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: AC Not Working -(Blinking Light)

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default AC Not Working -(Blinking Light)

Is anyone else having this problem? I lived with it for about 6 months now because neither I nor the Toyota service department knew what the issue was. The AC runs fine for a week or two and then the AC stops working and the indicator light blinks off and on for a while.

I just recently became a full fledged member to this wonderful site and discovered the TSB, which details the issue. The only problem is that the TSB was only just created this month and is only covered if the vehicle has less than 36K miles!!

I printed out the TSB and spoke to the Toy Tech, who said that this would probably cost around 1,500 to fix since TSB recommends replacing all of the parts involved. He did however say that he may be able to fix the problem by just replacing the magnetic clutch.

What kind of world are we living in when a 30K+ 4runner requires 1500 worth of work to a AC when the vehicle is only two and a half years old!!??!!

Anyways, thats it for my rant. If you or anyone you know has had this issue, please post. I plan on callling Toyota after the Tech gives me a quote for the repairs.

Thanks,

James

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

If you can show by way of repair orders that you complained of the specific problem before the tsb came out, they should still be liable for it.

Banned
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesta
    Is anyone else having this problem? I lived with it for about 6 months now because neither I nor the Toyota service department knew what the issue was. The AC runs fine for a week or two and then the AC stops working and the indicator light blinks off and on for a while.

I just recently became a full fledged member to this wonderful site and discovered the TSB, which details the issue. The only problem is that the TSB was only just created this month and is only covered if the vehicle has less than 36K miles!!

I printed out the TSB and spoke to the Toy Tech, who said that this would probably cost around 1,500 to fix since TSB recommends replacing all of the parts involved. He did however say that he may be able to fix the problem by just replacing the magnetic clutch.

What kind of world are we living in when a 30K+ 4runner requires 1500 worth of work to a AC when the vehicle is only two and a half years old!!??!!

Anyways, thats it for my rant. If you or anyone you know has had this issue, please post. I plan on callling Toyota after the Tech gives me a quote for the repairs.

Thanks,

James

try another shop that is Not Toyota(shoot me a PM ill advise a good shop to repair your 4runner) which dealership quoted this price for you? I live in the Atlanta area too and seem to think all the dealership in this area rip you off in one way or another I tend to just like One dealership which is Toyota of Roswell.. Cobb and cherokee both SUCK high mrsp and bad service attitude...

Liked
    0 times

I have been having problems with mine. I have 9000 miles and the A/c just has not been cold, my 6 year old kia blows colder. I took it to the dealership to complain about the suspension making loud noises when I turn the wheel all the way to the right and the kid working at the dealership told me it is suppose to make that noise and my A/C is fine. Really pissed about the service I received.

Liked
    0 times

My AC performance has been less than stellar. I attribute most of it to the new refrigerant. If you are having problems with the system itself and you have had it checked out prior to the TSB, you should call toyota customer service and explain the situation to them. In most case they will take care of it if you push the issue.

Liked
    0 times

I just looked at the TSB. The fix for the flashing light is to replace a relay. I couldn't imagine that a relay replacement would cost $1500. It only get .4hr of labor. It may be easier just to go to the parts dept and get a new relay and replace it yourself.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by RobXS
    I just looked at the TSB. The fix for the flashing light is to replace a relay. I couldn't imagine that a relay replacement would cost $1500. It only get .4hr of labor. It may be easier just to go to the parts dept and get a new relay and replace it yourself.

Hrrmm.. your right, the TSB does only say to replace the relay.. This Toyo guy must be on crack!

Can anyone tell me how to replace the relay? I'm fairly mechanically inclined.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2004 V6 4Runner SR5 Re: AC Not Working -(Blinking Light)

My 2004 4Runner V6 SR5 (54k miles) has the same trouble (A/C light blinking, then compressor disengages & no cold air), but it happens occasionally. It happened twice only so far. Once on 3-29-2007, and again on 4-25-2007. Both at 3pm~6pm on a highway cruising. (Outside sunny temp quite hot at around 75F.) A/C light started blinking and the compressor seems turned off, and no cold air blows. But next day or few hrs later, A/C ran fine just like nothing happened before.

When first time(Mar29), I brought to Toyota dealer, but they said it's hard to detect the problem unless A/C light is blinking RIGHT NOW. They told be to come back when the a/c light is blinking. I came back home.
    And today(Apr25) it happened again. A/C light blinked, no cold air blown at 5pm. But A/C works ok again now in the evenning.

When A/C light blinks its compressor seems to disengage too, therefore I don't think it is a matter of compressor pressure.
    Please help me on this anyone. THANK YOU!!!

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: 2004 V6 4Runner SR5 Re: AC Not Working -(Blinking Light)

Quote Originally Posted by GRFErunner View Post
    My 2004 4Runner V6 SR5 (54k miles) has the same trouble (A/C light blinking, then compressor disengages & no cold air), but it happens occasionally. It happened twice only so far. Once on 3-29-2007, and again on 4-25-2007. Both at 3pm~6pm on a highway cruising. (Outside sunny temp quite hot at around 75F.) A/C light started blinking and the compressor seems turned off, and no cold air blows. But next day or few hrs later, A/C ran fine just like nothing happened before.

When first time(Mar29), I brought to Toyota dealer, but they said it's hard to detect the problem unless A/C light is blinking RIGHT NOW. They told be to come back when the a/c light is blinking. I came back home.
    And today(Apr25) it happened again. A/C light blinked, no cold air blown at 5pm. But A/C works ok again now in the evenning.

When A/C light blinks its compressor seems to disengage too, therefore I don't think it is a matter of compressor pressure.
    Please help me on this anyone. THANK YOU!!!
    99% of the time it's going to be that relay, part number is 90987-02022 on the old one, redesigned one is 90987-02028... your dealer will most likely stock this part and it doesn't take long to have it replaced if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.
    Joe

2009 Tundra D-Cab TRD Sport - Red
    MBRP Exhaust, TRD Sway Bar, TRD CAI, Bilstein 5100's, 275/60-20 Zeon LTZ's
    BakFlip G2, 6-Step N-Fab's, UnderCover SwingCase, Hella LED's

2008 Tundra SR5 CM - Black *SOLD
    2006 4Runner V8 4WD - White *SOLD

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thank you very much, Joe.

It is summer now, I don't want to experience this A/C problem any more, and I wish to fix it as soon as I have a chance.

Would you tell me what I should mention at a dealer? Is the name of the part "a relay on A/C system"? or if I just tell them to replace the part#90987-02022(or -02028), will they know what it is about?

I know nothing about electrics and A/C....so please help me once more.
    I appreciate your help, Joe.

Lee

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GRFErunner View Post
    Would you tell me what I should mention at a dealer? Is the name of the part "a relay on A/C system"? or if I just tell them to replace the part#90987-02022(or -02028), will they know what it is about?
    I would just say "My A/C light is blinking and I read about a problem with the A/C Magnetic Clutch Relay (Part number 90987-02022). Can you take a look at it and let me know if that's the problem?"
    Joe

2009 Tundra D-Cab TRD Sport - Red
    MBRP Exhaust, TRD Sway Bar, TRD CAI, Bilstein 5100's, 275/60-20 Zeon LTZ's
    BakFlip G2, 6-Step N-Fab's, UnderCover SwingCase, Hella LED's

2008 Tundra SR5 CM - Black *SOLD
    2006 4Runner V8 4WD - White *SOLD

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: AC Not Working -(Blinking Light)

I am a newby on this site and it looks pretty cool.

My understanding of blinking light is that it can be triggered by other problems such as if your engine coolant gets too hot the system automatically tries to take the load off the car by cutting out the compressor. Problem might be with coolant system / fan relays / etc.

Liked
    3 times

It happened to my 2003 about 3X since I got it in March 03. All I did was to hit the A/C button on and off and it blew cold air again.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

OK where exactly is the relay located

Liked
    0 times

my 2006 4runner did that to they had to replace the ac condensor twice before it worked right witch was winter here so nice to know ill have it next summer

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-11-2013, 09:53 AM