1999 4Runner Fuel Gauge Problem

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 1999 4Runner Fuel Gauge Problem

Liked
    0 times

Default 1999 4Runner Fuel Gauge Problem

I have a 99 SR5 4Runner. Yesterday, I noticed the fuel gauge was reading more fuel than what was actually in there. Filled it up, gauge went to full and plunged to empty a few seconds later. Drove it about 10 miles with it reading empty and the low fuel warning flashing. I turned it off when I got to where i was going. When I turned it back on, gauge was reading full again. After driving 50 miles, it is still reading full, not moving at all. I see no fuse issues in the drivers compartment. Any suggestions for a fix to this? I appreciate any feedback from anyone who has dealt with a similar issue or may have knowledge to what it might be. I appreciate your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 1999 4Runner Fuel Gauge Problem

Nice ride! I had a 2001 Tacoma that developed an intermitant problem with the fuel gauge. I would get down to 1/2 tank and the needle would drop to the bottom. Once I came to a stop the needle would go back to where it should be. Once I began to drive the same thing would happen, needle drops. This problem only happend between 1/2 empty and 3/4 empty. Before or after that amount of fuel in the tank, all was fine.

Dealership tested and stated it was a bad gauge, $100 part. I never got it fixed under the extended warranty (this problem came up after the 3/36 warranty) and I moved to another state. I would think that you might be able to replace it yourself. Easier than a tank sensor! Maybe you can find a different used gauge for much less and try it to see what happens. That would at least tell you what's going on and where.

Bill

Liked
    0 times

There is a TSB on that exact problem, my 99 had that issue and was fixed free under the TSB! Have toyota look it up....its there.

Liked
    0 times

Thank you guys for the information, I appreciate it! I did stop by the Toyota dealer today, and they did look up the TSB and confirmed there was one. However, I was told by them that the TSB stated that a free repair only applied if the vehicle was in the 3/36 warranty range. They ballparked the repair would cost me roughly $500, parts and labor, with no help from Toyota at all. That is not sitting well with me. Not sure what I am going to do at this point.
    I have known Toyotas to be extremely reliable, and that they stand behind their product. Today's visit to the dealership is making me think twice about it...

Liked
    0 times

$500!!? Thats a bit much. You could change out all fuel level systems yourself for much less than that.

I still say check out used gauges (as it is the easiest to change out) and start with the easiest and cheapest possible fix first.

Maybe 99Runner remembers what was changed/fixed under that TSB? You could duplicate that.

Bill

Liked
    0 times

Thanks Bill, we are on the same page. I considered changing out the gauge myself, but have never worked on something like that before. I am mechanically inclined to a degree, but not sure about the ease of changing something like that. I would guess removing a few screws and trim pieces to get access to the instrument cluster, removing the cluster, and then getting to the gauge itself? I have pulled clusters before out of an 89 Tercel I used to own. Just have not dealt with the 4runner itself....yet!

Hopefully I hear back from 994runner about the specifics on the TSB repair. That would be a good guide to follow, make sure no other parts were affected/replaced.

Getting a Chilton/Haynes manual sounds like a good idea for starts.

Enjoy your Holiday weekend!
    Harry

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

See EL010-00 FUEL GAUGE INACCURACY

Some owners of 1999 and 2000 model year 4Runner vehicles may complain of fuel gauge operation problems. These complaints may include:

• The gauge reading will gradually change while driving or will show a different reading after cycling the ignition key “OFF” and then “ON”.
    • The gauge will come off of “FULL” quickly.
    • The perception that the fuel tank capacity is less than it should be, or differs from the capacity stated in sales literature.

To improve these concerns, a new Circuit Plate No. 3, fuel sender gauge and suction tube assemblies have been developed.

Liked
    0 times

I kind of figured this one out on my 2000 what a pain in the *** T4Runner!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I just bought my daughter a 99 4runner SR5. After a trip to 2 dealers, I have a copy of the Toyota TSB, and a quote for $1050 for parts and labor!!! Aparently, the laws of supply and demand have caught up with the 4runner, because I can't fix the gas gauge of my daughter's 4runner at those steep prices.

Pat Lobb Toyota in McKinney wouldn't even give me an estimate on the repair unless I agreed to pay $89 plus tax for an inspection of the problem. I don't understand why it takes $100 to see the gas gauge doesn't work!!! How many parts are there to repair?

Frustrating...

Liked
    0 times

i just bought my 99 4runner the other day and have to same problem. except mine was reading 1/2 tank and i ended up running out of gas! then the other day when i was driving the gauge dropped to below the E and the gas light started flashing. considering i have only had it for a week, i will be getting it fixed

Liked
    0 times

The fuel gauge problem is well known, check out the thread on Yotatech.com. I have it as well and am not prepared to pay $1k for the repair. Just use your odometer and track your miles .
    Turbocharged 1999 4Runner

Liked
    0 times

well i got mine fixed this last week. my friend that works there told me the total was like 700 bucks. thankfully i didn't have to pay for it

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

Call the Toyota of America customer care number, let them know of the problem, they may offer to do if for free!