Question The Big 3 Mod??????

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Big 3 Mod??????

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Question The Big 3 Mod??????

I have heard tid bits about this mod so I tried to do a search on it and I cannot come up with much.....not sure if it's me or what but can someone please either send me to a post about it and how to do it or explain it here? I just upgraded my stereo system in my 08, the subs and amp are going in on Friday to complete the upgrade and I just want to be prepared for what I might have to do. My amp running my subs is a 1000 watt, 2 channel amp and I also have a 600 watt, 4 channel running my doors. Any little secrets anyone has or heads up's of what I might encounter would be really appreciated!

Todd

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default Re: The Big 3 Mod??????

Well it sounds like you might have to look out for some nice tunes coming your way... If that is what you are asking?
    2007 RCSB 5.7 4x4 Black Sport
    Toytec 3/1 Lift, TRD Brakes, Balistic Jester 20x9 Wheels, Nitto TG 325-65-20's, TRD Swaybar, Corsa Exhaust
    Morel Elate 9" 3 Way Speakers, Alpine PDX amplifiers, K40 Laser/Radar Detector, Seat Rail Modification, Back up Camera, Full LED Interior upgrade from VLEDS.com, Homelink Rear View Mirror,

MY WEB SITE (CAR MOD PICTURES HERE)

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownTundra View Post
    Well it sounds like you might have to look out for some nice tunes coming your way... If that is what you are asking?
    Well, that is what I am hoping for but my main concern is going to be power, or lack of to the amps....will they draw to much from my battery, are my battery and ground cables going to be heavy enough??? I hear mixed opinions, some say it will be fine, some say I am going to need a optima battery and some sort of a big 3 mod which I think is upgrading the factory cables to the alternator and ground.....
    I'm kind of confused! Afraid I am in a little deeper than what I wanted to be!

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Your cable concerns can be figured out by taking your watts divided by volts and that will give you the amps of draw the cable/wiring has to be rated to carry.

Your 1000 watt amp divided by 12 volts = 83 amps!! Yikeeesss!!!!

Looks like you need to head off to welding supply to get some really big cable.

I ran 00 cables in my RV solar setup from the batteries to the inverter to hand the heavy AMP draw, and I was restricted to length of that cable also.
    Hank

2007 Tundra SR5 DC LB 5.7, Underseat storage, Sonar, Backup Camera, Prodigy brake contoller, Reese 16k 5'er hitch, Towing Mirrors, Michelin LT AT2 275/65R18/E, Hellwig Helper Springs 2,000 lbs, 7/75 Platinum Warranty from Handy Toyota.

Future mods:
    Stebel 300hz Horn
    Fog Lights

2005 Rockwood 26' 5'er, Michelin LTX MS tires, 270 watts of solar on the roof, 4 T-105 golf cart batteries, Xentrex converter, Outback FX2012T inverter/charger.

If you can't take it with ya, why bother with an RV!

2000 Tundra (bought 9/9/99)
    JBA Headers
    Gone but not forgotten~

Liked
    1 times

I'd doubt seriously that you're going to ever run 1kw RMS continuously..or that the amp could even do it. You probably want to mount the amps close to each other and run 6 or 8ga. red/black straight to the battery with a 30a fuse... maybe 40... (start low first)... installed close to the battery. If you're going to sit with the doors open and jam with the engine off, then get an Optima as a 2nd battery and install an isolator and run the system off the 2nd battery. Installing a big capacitor at the amp will help smooth big power draw on bass thumps. Otherwise, I think you'd be good to go. And for God's sakes, don't take my advice without triple checking with pro installers. There are plenty of members on here who are and I'm not.

Liked
    12 times
    Images

Moving thread to the Audio Section of Tundra Solutions.

Beer please!
    CBTMA (Member and Founding Father: Est. August 15, 2008)
    Clicky>>> What The Heck is CBTMA
    Unknown - "The biological purpose of pain is to prevent the recurrence of stupidity."

Veteran Member
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

How to upgrade the Big Three

that explains the whole big 3.

Dont buy a Cap its a waste of money, do the Big3 and try to run 1/0 wire for the whole thing, and depending on the amps i would run 1/0 to those also, match the fuse to the total fuse rating on the amps, probably be around 100-150.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.