Aftermarket Head unit wiring WITH the OEM microphone, camera, steering wheel controls

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Aftermarket Head unit wiring WITH the OEM microphone, camera, steering wheel controls

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Talking Aftermarket Head unit wiring WITH the OEM microphone, camera, steering wheel controls

First off, let me say thank you for the assistance from this forum on the integration of my head unit.
    I now have everything working as it should…the reverse camera, navigation, steering wheel controls, and factory microphone all on the JBL Audio system.

My original system was the factory navigation unit in a 2007 double cab, with blue tooth, reverse camera, sonar, and steering wheel controls. After using the factory navigation unit for a month I decided it was time to go. My last truck had an Eclipse 726E which I loved, so I decided t go that direction. The other nice thing is that Fujitsu Ten who makes the factory Toyota units also makes Eclipse, so the integration is simplified in many ways.

I am going to give an outline of the connections to save everyone the trouble of the research I had to do. I hold no responsibility for the following; I am just helping to assist you in the connections which worked for me, check the wiring for yourself.

You will need the aftermarket mounting kit and JBL harness adapter (Scosche Model number TA07SR), about $95 on eBay. Follow the instructions for the Scosche harness and wire to your head unit. The Scosche dash kit is a pretty good fit and a VERY good color match. The Scosche adapter wiring harness has three wires which are not listed in the manual; I called to find out what they are:

Orange = illumination
    Blue = Power Antenna
    Orange/Black = Dimmer Ground

For the steering wheel controls:
    Use the k21 connector on the back of the factory head unit. The steering wheel controls work like the factory, except for the voice command button on the steering wheel now mutes the audio, very nice. The Bluetooth buttons answer and hang up the phone, and all of the audio buttons work properly.

Toyota Light green = Eclipse Brown/Black
    Toyota Gray = Eclipse Brown
    Toyota Brown = Ground

For the camera:
    Use the k7 connector on the back of the head unit. If you have the eclipse unit you can simply use the power output on the unit which is 6 volts. The factory camera wants 5-7 volts. If you are using another unit, you can use any USB car charger and hard wire it to the cigarette lighter; this will give you a solid 5 volts to the camera. Make sure you wire to the switched cigarette lighter so the camera is not powered all of the time.

When facing the rear of the Eclipse the wiring is as follows:

Upper left, pin 2 = Camera Power
    Upper Right, Pin 1 = Video + input
    Lower left, Pin 4 = Ground
    Lower Right, Pin 3 = Video – input

I purchased an aftermarket camera adapter made for the eclipse to adapt it to a standard video camera. It had pins 1, 3 & 4 no pin 2. I moved pin 4 to the pin2 location on the plug, this gave me power, video + and video – from the head unit. I took the camera ground and tied it to the rest of the system grounds.

Then I connected these wires to the factory K7 connector wires as follows:

Toyota pin 21 white/black = Ground to common
    Toyota pin 24 Black = Eclipse Pin 2, Power 5-7v
    Toyota pin 22 Red = Eclipse Pin 1, Video +
    Toyota pin 23 Grey = Eclipse Pin 3, Video -

For the Aux Jack:
    Use the k5 connector on the back of the head unit.
    The Eclipse does not have the Aux input, so I did not connect this. I am posting the below information that I researched simply so that others have a more complete guide to replacing their stereo.

Toyota pin 3 Black = RCA input Left +
    Toyota pin 2 Red = RCA input Right +
    Toyota pin 5 White = Shield for both right and left

For the Reverse Wire:
    Use the k6 connector on the back of the head unit.
    Toyota Pin 5 Gray wire

For the Microphone:
    I did a substantial amount of wiring, trouble shooting, building of power supplies, and legwork…to be beat by the OEM microphone amplifier. In the end I tried the simplest of things; I bypassed the Microphone amplifier and simply connected the factory microphone. This gave me a microphone that fit perfectly into the location and worked great. The OEM mic DOES NOT need the amplifier when used with the Eclipse head unit, and I can assume this is the same for all head units.

I tested with a parrot mic and the Eclipse mic, both held in numerous areas of the vehicle, and in ALL cases the Toyota OEM mic was the clearest.

To bypass the amplifier is easy, here it is:

Behind the factory radio, on the k7 connector, connect the following:
    Toyota Brown wire = Tip + of a mono 1/8” headphone connector
    Toyota Yellow = Ring – of the headphone connector

At the microphone in the headliner, Remove the mic and do the following:
    1. Cut the four wires between the plug and where they enter the wire bundle.
    2. Connect two pieces of wire to extend the Brown and Black wires, 3” works fine.
    3. Mask off or heatshrink the extra wires.
    4. Open the mic casing and expose where the mic connects to the amplifier.
    5. Solder the new wires to the circuit board where the mic connects.
    6. Connect Brown to the mic +, and Black to the mic -.
    7. Re-assemble the mic and install in the vehicle.
    8. Plug the mic into your head unit.
    9. Enjoy the factory microphone!!!

I hope this helps others; it took a long time to gather all of the information. I will post other documents to support the wiring diagrams for the vehicle.

Good luck with you installation!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0054.jpg 
Views:	3140 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	47112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0055.jpg 
Views:	4258 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	47113  
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Aftermarket Head unit wiring WITH the OEM microphone, camera, steering wheel cont

perfect. much appreciated. ive been looking for the toyota connector for the camera, and which wires are which. the best i could find previously, was the wiring up in the headliner. which seemed really pointless to go hacking into, when the connector was already right behind the head unit.
    2007 Tundra LTD CrewMax, Black, De-badged, TRD intake, TRD exhaust, Grillcraft grill, 24" BZO Elite wheels, AVIC-Z2 DVD/NAV, 2x10" BA subs

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8, Brilliant Black, Tinted Windows, Full Stereo, 22" Forged MHT Stilleto's, KW V2's, Hotchkis Swaybars, Magnaflow hi-flo cats, Corsa cat-back exhaust, VORTECH SUPERCHARGED

2005 Yamaha R1, Blue

2009 Harley Davidson FXCW Rocker, Blue

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Aftermarket Head unit wiring WITH the OEM microphone, camera, steering wheel cont

Quote Originally Posted by cinemagic View Post
    For the steering wheel controls:
    Use the k21 connector on the back of the factory head unit. The steering wheel controls work like the factory, except for the voice command button on the steering wheel now mutes the audio, very nice. The Bluetooth buttons answer and hang up the phone, and all of the audio buttons work properly.

Toyota Light green = Eclipse Brown/Black
    Toyota Gray = Eclipse Brown
    Toyota Brown = Ground
    Once connected, do you have to program them through the unit or should they just work? My local Eclipse dealer installed mine, but only the mode, volume and channel buttons work.

Thank for posting this information!
    2010 DC SR5 TRD 4.6 Pyrite Mica
    n-fab SS nerf bars
    Toff bed liner
    Rugged Cover Tonneau
    Weather Tech floor liners
    Eclipse AVN726E

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

i have a JVC unit with the SWI-JACK and i had to program it. I would assume it's the same way here.

I did the same thing with the voice command button and made it use the 'ACC' command.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by goofballtech View Post
    i have a JVC unit with the SWI-JACK and i had to program it. I would assume it's the same way here.

I did the same thing with the voice command button and made it use the 'ACC' command.
    I tried to program them, but couldn't get them to work. I may have to pull the unit and check the connections.
    2010 DC SR5 TRD 4.6 Pyrite Mica
    n-fab SS nerf bars
    Toff bed liner
    Rugged Cover Tonneau
    Weather Tech floor liners
    Eclipse AVN726E

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

If you are using an eclipse the commands work automatically with no interface or programming. If you are using another head unit you have to use an adapter which limits you to five commands.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for posting this. I did a search for "microphone" because I want to use the factory microphone with the Alpine KCE-400BT Bluetooth module and it looks like it will work. I didn't want to have to pull the headliner to get this to work.

The wiring diagrams are an awesome addition as well. THANKS!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Here's a list of items I'm looking at. I'd like some advise if anyone has any thoughts.

1. Alpine INA-W900 Head Unit/DVD/Nav
    2. Alpine YUA-T550HD HD Radio Tuner
    3. Alpine KCE-400BT Bluetooth Adapter
    4. Alpine KCA-SC100 Sirius Satellite Adapter
    5. PXA-H100 Audessey Audio Processor
    6. PXAH100 MultiEQ Calibration Kit
    7. PKG-M780 Dual Headrest Monitors
    8. PAC TR7 Universal Trigger Module for Video while driving bypass
    9. PAC Steering Wheel Control Adapter (WHICH MODEL NUMBER DO I NEED FOR THIS?)
    10. Scosche TA2073b Double DIN Kit
    11. Toyota OEM Backup Camera in tailgate handle.
    12. FL, FR, C, RL, RR Speakers (THINKING OF MB Quarts OR SOMETHING. THOUGHTS? WHAT SIZES DO I NEED? DO I NEED ADAPTERS?)
    13. PPI Amps
    14. 15" JL Audio Sub
    15. Wiring

Questions I have:

1. Can I wire the current USB port that is already in the truck to the head unit?
    2. Where the heck am I going to mount all of those Alpine aiNet adapters?
    3. Any considerations for wiring the factory microphone to the Alpine Bluetooth adapter?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

One other thing. what wire did you use from the factory harness, to wire in the dimmer/illumination??
    2007 Tundra LTD CrewMax, Black, De-badged, TRD intake, TRD exhaust, Grillcraft grill, 24" BZO Elite wheels, AVIC-Z2 DVD/NAV, 2x10" BA subs

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8, Brilliant Black, Tinted Windows, Full Stereo, 22" Forged MHT Stilleto's, KW V2's, Hotchkis Swaybars, Magnaflow hi-flo cats, Corsa cat-back exhaust, VORTECH SUPERCHARGED

2005 Yamaha R1, Blue

2009 Harley Davidson FXCW Rocker, Blue

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

2 Questions:

Can anybody confirm that the JBL (NON-Nav) head unit has the K7 Video Connector?

Has anyone successfully powered the OEM Camera with a 5V USB Car Charger as the original poster suggests?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Forget my first question, I figured out where to get the video signal (Driver's A-Pillar).

Again, has anyone tried to use a 5V USB Car Charger to power the OEM camera?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by seabass23 View Post
    Forget my first question, I figured out where to get the video signal (Driver's A-Pillar).
    Hi,

I am getting ready to install the same HU (AVN726E) in a 2006 Sienna and was wondering:

1. Does anyone know what camera adapter kit Cinemagic was talking about?

2. To Seabass23: can you tell me more about how you got the video signal from and how you connected it to your HU?

Thanks,
    Andy

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by ando1 View Post
    2. To Seabass23: can you tell me more about how you got the video signal from and how you connected it to your HU?
    I grabbed the video signal from the A-Pillar wiring as shown in this Post here.

I used a shielded video cable. On one end, I hacked off the RCA plug and connected the center conductor to Video+ and the shield to Video-. I see some interference in the video picture so I plan to find a shielded two-conductor cable and use conductors for +/- and I will ground the shield on one end. This should make for a better connection (or so I have read).

I have bought the parts and built the Voltage Regulator so that I can power the camera continuously off the Accessory circuit. Once I find the proper shielded cable for the video signal, I will tear things apart and replace the video cable and install the voltage regulator.

Liked
    3 times

funny me and my installer were talking about this today I have a Pioneer avic 120 bt on order should be here next week and I was hoping to use the factory mic. Going to pass this to him see if we can do this on my 2010. Thanks for the write up.

Liked
    0 times

People still using this a year later. Tons of great info in here. Thanks a lot!
    2011 Tundra Rock Warrior - The FireSled

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.