How much air space is in driver's side rear compartment of 1st Gen Tundra DCs?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much air space is in driver's side rear compartment of 1st Gen Tundra DCs?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default How much air space is in driver's side rear compartment of 1st Gen Tundra DCs?

How much air space / volume is in the driver's side rear compartment under the back seat of 1st Generation (through 2006) Tundra Double Cabs? I'm trying to decide between locating one or two 8" subs in there. I've seen the space listed at many different volumes while reading through searches. Has anyone measured that space and gotten an accurate reading? I did some fuzzy math and came up with .3125 cubic feet, but I think that's low because pretty much everyone else I've seen is listing a larger number for that space. I'll be getting the Polk MM840 sub(s) which require an ideal space of .35 per sub. I'm also trying to decide on, if I get two, whether I need to seal off the subs from each other with a center divider. Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Drew

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    413 times
    Images

Default Re: How much air space is in driver's side rear compartment of 1st Gen Tundra DCs?

two will be fine, if you get your enclosure built and they dont have enough output, put some polyfill in them to slow the backwave of the subs down to fool them into thinking they are in a bigger enclosure.

two subs seems to be the average in those DC's

hope that helps.
    Jason
    It's paid off and and starts when i turn the key

If You seek advice, then LISTEN with your EARS not your MOUTH.....

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: How much air space is in driver's side rear compartment of 1st Gen Tundra DCs?

Yep, thanks Zapco. Would you split the space in two or leave it as one big shared space for two subs?

Anybody know the air space in the compartment?

Liked
    413 times
    Images

2 8s will fit perfect in the longer of the two storage spaces, keep the other one for either storage or whatever else you want to do with it. get some packing peanuts and fill the compartment, then put them in a box and measure the volume. it cant be more than a few cubic feet
    Last edited by ZapcoTundra; 12-05-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    Jason

Liked
    779 times
    Images

yea 2 kicker 8in dont need anymore than .8 cu in min for a box.
    2000 Tundra 1A0 Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 209,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here), Uniden PRO 520XL CB, 4in LED Reverse Lights (Install Click Here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    413 times
    Images

most all 8 in subs generally require the same amount of airspace....

just with the higher end speakers the measurements have to be much more precise or your wasting your money....
    Jason

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

The Polk MM840 'requires' .35 cubit feet per sub ideally. Would y'all split up the space or let them share air space?

Anybody measured the compartment under the driver's side compartment for volume?

Liked
    413 times
    Images

thats a good sub, im contemplating runnin a few of them.

they can share or you can separate them, just depends on how you set them up. but sharing is easier because you only have to fabricate a single enclosure
    Jason

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I'm planning on pairing a couple MM840s with Polk MM6501 components in the front and MM651 coaxials in the rear... all powered by a Precision Power PPI P900.5 amp (very similar to the Polk D5000.5, but slightly more powerful (particularly on the sub channel) and cheaper). Should be a nice setup.

Still would like to know the measured size of the rear compartment if anybody knows...

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Leaning more toward the JBL MS-62C components now... to be paired with the JBL GTO804 subs. Not sure about for the rear doors though, as there aren't any MS Series coaxials that I can find. Anybody have any recommendations there? Closest I can find are the JBL P662.

Liked
    413 times
    Images

a decent coax will be fine for rear fill,you shouldnt have to spend over 80 bucks (full retail that is)...

the front components will drown them out, unless you want to just be "loud". then run the same speakers as the front.
    Jason

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Well I got the 2 840's hooked up in .7 enclosure, they sounded kinda weak at first because I ran out of time and couldn't play around with the gains and crossovers. Had time today and wow they sound good and hit hard. I thought the door speakers would outrun the subs and that doesn't seem to be the case. I have to ease off a bit and let the speakers break in for awhile before I can see how far they can go.
    I was expecting really tight bass and weaker lows (which is how every small sealed enclosure I've had played but those subs were cheaper). These things play lows really well and when they hit low hz they move like crazy. I noticed that the 840's have a huge Xmax compared to most other subs, so that maybe the reason.

If you do decide to go with the 840's you will be very happy.
    As for the doors, the MM's sound good but I'm not as impressed as I am with the subs (maybe that will change with some more tuning and break in).
    Last edited by Closer; 12-11-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Liked
    413 times
    Images

speakers need at least 40 hrs of break in time before they really shine.....
    Jason

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.