I'm sure this topic has been beat to death but.....

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm sure this topic has been beat to death but.....

Liked
    9 times

Default I'm sure this topic has been beat to death but.....

Ok I drive a 08 crew max with the jbl system in it... What is my best option for keeping the stock hu and getting more power out of my doors speakers and sub? Can I do this with one amp? I've seen people talk about the LOC but doesn't really make sense to me how it is installed... Anyway any advice would be great

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    9 times

Default Re: I'm sure this topic has been beat to death but.....

Anyone?? *cricket, cricket*

Liked
    31 times

R looking for more bass, highs or mids

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Liked
    9 times

ummm all of the above..but i dont want to replace the door speakers or tweeters..(dont mind replacing the sub) i just want the system to perform a bit better thats all

Liked
    31 times

Imo the door speakers r awesome. U have a cpl options depending on ur budget. Low budget= the 2 tweets on the door & 3 on the dash by connecting to stock wiring n c if u like the difference. High budget= don't use jbl amp at all n u would nd minimum 2/ 5 channel amps & new speaks all around. I would start low cause imo the jbl amp is totally different the most aftermarket meaning it puts out pure power, other amps claim certain amount of Wats but the true power is the rms numbers. For instance some amps claim 1000w but only 600rms. The jbl amp in our trucks is only 440w for 10speaks. So its giving true power, imo more because how loud it goes with 10speaks. N its tuned by jbl not perfect but pretty good. Maybe start w/ the 2 door tweets n c if that makes a difference. The door 6*9 r pretty good again imo. N if u bought the truck new u paid for the jbl so I wouldnt spend more than I have to.

Liked
    9 times

Ok so what are you saying about the tweets and stock wiring? Just replace them? And I didn't buy my truck new so not too worried about the jbl system... How hard would it be to wire up a new amp?

Liked
    31 times

About the tweets with stock wiring, I'm saying replace the tweets to the wiring that is all ready there connected to the stock tweets, that also means u will b connecting the new tweets to the stock jbl amp. If u really did want to replace the jbl amp if u r considering doin it yourself & if haven't done anything like that before I wouldn't recommend it. To replace the amp n all speaks would involve connecting amp to a pwr source, connect amp to radio, rewiring all speaks in the doors & dash n concealing all the wires at the same time, then tuning amp to make it all sound good. It's not rocket science but for a beginner it could take 3 times as long. If u do want to replace everything do some research go to audio shops n listen to some speakers, find wat u want but don't buy them there. U can save a lot of money if u buy everything on ur own thru ebay, or other online stores. For instance audio shops will charge $79 for an amp wiring kit that u can get at pepboys for $30.

Liked
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by doubleds65 View Post
    About the tweets with stock wiring, I'm saying replace the tweets to the wiring that is all ready there connected to the stock tweets, that also means u will b connecting the new tweets to the stock jbl amp. If u really did want to replace the jbl amp if u r considering doin it yourself & if haven't done anything like that before I wouldn't recommend it. To replace the amp n all speaks would involve connecting amp to a pwr source, connect amp to radio, rewiring all speaks in the doors & dash n concealing all the wires at the same time, then tuning amp to make it all sound good. It's not rocket science but for a beginner it could take 3 times as long. If u do want to replace everything do some research go to audio shops n listen to some speakers, find wat u want but don't buy them there. U can save a lot of money if u buy everything on ur own thru ebay, or other online stores. For instance audio shops will charge $79 for an amp wiring kit that u can get at pepboys for $30.

Thanks for clarifying what you meant.. I've hooked up plenty of systems but never done a car with a factory amp already installed... Do I just add another amp or totally replace the jbl? Also about the line out converter.. What does that do? Can you clarify that a bit? Thanks for all your help bro

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Liked
    31 times

If u have done it b4 then just replace it all n save some headaches trying to intergrade the jbl system. But when u take the jbl system out bcareful w/ the wire n harness that way if u want u can sell the system to recoup some $, there is a big market for those systems n somebody will buy it quick. Line out converter is used when u connect an additional amp to factory radio or factory amp because the line out converter will the provide RCA connections which u nd to install aftermarket amp. For instance I have jbl system n wanted more bass so I connected a line out converter to a positive n negative on my stock sub (doesnt nd to b the sub), the I connected aftermarket amp to the line out converter using rca's, then connected aftermarket sub to a/m amp.

Liked
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by doubleds65 View Post
    If u have done it b4 then just replace it all n save some headaches trying to intergrade the jbl system. But when u take the jbl system out bcareful w/ the wire n harness that way if u want u can sell the system to recoup some $, there is a big market for those systems n somebody will buy it quick. Line out converter is used when u connect an additional amp to factory radio or factory amp because the line out converter will the provide RCA connections which u nd to install aftermarket amp. For instance I have jbl system n wanted more bass so I connected a line out converter to a positive n negative on my stock sub (doesnt nd to b the sub), the I connected aftermarket amp to the line out converter using rca's, then connected aftermarket sub to a/m amp.

Ok its all starting to make sense... I think I'll do exactly what you did for the time being.. Did you replace the sub too?

Liked
    31 times

No I kept everything stock. When hooked up aftermarket amp it went to a aftermarket sub, so it was the stock 10 jbl speaks + 1 aftermarket sub. It 1400w amp & 1000 w 12" sub, also a JVC crossover/preamp to b able to control the a/m sub. So it went from stock sub wires-lineout-a/m amp-crossover/preamp-a/m sub. On the stock radio I had bass level at -5 so I wouldn't have to worry if I was distorting stock speaks cause I wouldn't b able to hear if I was because of the a/m sub. I can post a pic of the crossover/preamp if u want cause nobody sells them any more. Also u can use an external eq to do the same for control of the sub.

Liked
    9 times

Ya if you could post some pics that would be awesome bro thanks so much for your help

Liked
    31 times

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0220.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	577.0 KB 
ID:	93005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0219.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	432.4 KB 
ID:	93006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0218.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	535.2 KB 
ID:	93007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0217.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	93008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0216.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	529.1 KB 
ID:	93009

Liked
    31 times

Ok I took some pics but posted them backwards, sorry. Starting from the bottom, 1st pic) line out converter (i think from Wal-Mart ) it had 4 wires (2 left & 2 right) I connected both left to 1 left on my stock jbl, both right wires to 1 right on the stock jbl sub that is still in use. 2nd pic ) to blurry. 3rd pic) shows the LOC w/rca's connected to it. 4th pic) is my (old ass) crossover/preamp/eq . 5th pic) shows rca's from LOC into eq (blue rca's), red rca's go into the amp. U can connect LOC to any wires w/ + & - that produces sound.

Liked
    9 times

Awesome man thanks so much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast