Upgrade Do I have a JBL SYSTEM OR NOT? Need help

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SuckersWalk

Thread: Do I have a JBL SYSTEM OR NOT? Need help

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Do I have a JBL SYSTEM OR NOT? Need help

I have an 05 tundra limited trd stepside. I want to upgrade the factory stereo to an aftermarket double din in-dash navigation system. My question is do I need to buy an integration adapter for the factory JBL System? How do I know if I have a JBL system? (I do not see any JBL markings on factory stereo or on door panel grills.) Second, is any of the trucks electrical components connected to the factory stereo? What installation accessories do I need to complete the in-dash navigation installation besides the head unit? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1740 times
    Images

Default Re: Do I have a JBL SYSTEM OR NOT? Need help

Quote Originally Posted by sergfuentes View Post
    I do not see any JBL markings on factory stereo or on door panel grills.
    Mine has "jbl" on the head unit and also on the speaker grills. I also have the jbl amp on the rear wall. Go to crutchfield dot com and plug in your vehicle info and select the nav unit; it will tell you what you need.
    jdrama12 likes this.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I tried the crutchfield site but its unclear. It says if JBL system equipped and on some models. Does not specify for my particular one. Maybe I should call the dealer

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Mine says JBL on the doors but not on the dd????

Lurking Member
    Liked
    11 times
    Images

I am having a very similar problem. I have a 2005 Tundra SR5 Access Cab. My head unit says JBL on it. However, I replaced the speakers (which had no name on them at all), and the factory amp (which was made by Panasonic).

Here is the head unit -

And here is a picture of the door showing no JBL logo on the speakers at all (unlike SuckersWalk states above?) -

I have also replaced the head unit. I am using the Scosche TA07SR adapter, as that it is the one that is needed for JBL systems. It isn't working at all, I am getting no power to my head unit (which is making me question whether I have the JBL system or not). I know that the TA07SR adapter is designed for if you want to keep the factory amp. That was my initial plan, but upon seeing how crappy it is, I swapped it out for a new one and re-wired all of the speakers to the amp.

My hope is that I could simply use the aftermarket harness on the TA07SR (without using the separate module). Given the fact that it isn't working, perhaps I'm using the wrong part and should go get a standard aftermarket harness instead.

Thoughts, o' gurus of audio/stereo?
    Last edited by Canehdianman; 05-13-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Liked
    719 times

Quote Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
    I am having a very similar problem. I have a 2005 Tundra SR5 Access Cab. My head unit says JBL on it. However, I replaced the speakers (which had no name on them at all), and the factory amp (which was made by Panasonic).

Here is the head unit -

And here is a picture of the door showing no JBL logo on the speakers at all (unlike SuckersWalk states above?) -

I have also replaced the head unit. I am using the Scosche TA07SR adapter, as that it is the one that is needed for JBL systems. It isn't working at all, I am getting no power to my head unit (which is making me question whether I have the JBL system or not). I know that the TA07SR adapter is designed for if you want to keep the factory amp. That was my initial plan, but upon seeing how crappy it is, I swapped it out for a new one and re-wired all of the speakers to the amp.

My hope is that I could simply use the aftermarket harness on the TA07SR (without using the separate module). Given the fact that it isn't working, perhaps I'm using the wrong part and should go get a standard aftermarket harness instead.

Thoughts, o' gurus of audio/stereo?
    You need a completely different harness if not using the factory amp. This one from Amazon will work . The wires will be marked for speakers/power/ground/etc. Just hook them up to the corresponding wires on the plug from your new stereo. Better yet search for the correct plug to go from the vehicle directly to your HU.

eta: Walmart or Best buy also carries a Toyota harness, not Scosche and can't remember the name or # of it but they have it.
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

http://thebrakedoctor.com
    http://uptrailerandhitch.com