How did you run your amp's power wire?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How did you run your amp's power wire?

Liked
    0 times

Default How did you run your amp's power wire?

What is the best route for my amp's power wire to take to get through the firewall and to the battery? I have a Sequoia, but I imagine they are the same as the Tundra in the area of the driver's foot well, yes?

thanks!
    Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by F1Jim
    What is the best route for my amp's power wire to take to get through the firewall and to the battery? I have a Sequoia, but I imagine they are the same as the Tundra in the area of the driver's foot well, yes?

thanks!
    Jim
    On the Tundra there are two large rubber boots on each side of the firewall. The one on the battery/driver side is the one I used and it comes out above the foot rest on the left side of the driver's footwell. I started at the battery and worked it inside.

This probably isn't the best way, but I used a long #3 blunt phillips screwdriver (that was a little smaller than my 8 gauge wire) to poke through, being careful not to damage the wiring harness. After installation is complete, put a dab of Permatex silicone windshield sealant. It will flow in around the crack to seal everything well.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

You can feed at least a 2Ga wire through the stock firewall grommet on the driver's side without poking a hole into the grommet, though that would surely work. It already carries a wiring harness. The grommet has a nipple on it, with tape that starts on the nipple and runs onto the wiring harness. Carefully peel the tape off and pull the grommet out of the hole in the firewall- this gives you some working room. You can use a thin screwdriver or wire hanger with the tip taped to a length of cord. Run it from the cabin side of the grommet, being very careful not to damage the wiring harness, then untape the cord. Tape the cord to your power cable and carefully work the cable through the grommet. Take your time - a 2 to 4Ga cable has some girth. Once you have it passed through into the cabin, simply retape the grommet to the harness/cable bundle, reinstall the grommet into the hole in the firewall, and you're done.
    Hope this helps.

Liked
    0 times

Here's what I did with my 4 ga. wire: http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/372071/4
    - Mark
    Just a hangin' out.

mgp
    Liked
    0 times

thanks!
    Jim
    I ran my 4 ga wire thru the driver side rubber boot under the main wire harness. I used a long phillips screwdriver and taped the wire to it. I then put some wire pulling lubricant(available at Home Depot etc) on the cable and it pulled thru easily.

Liked
    0 times

Thanks folks!
    NOW, how did you make the actual connection to the battery? I would prefer not to actually go directly to the battery's "lug" or whatever you call it. I would like to be able to connect at a point near the battery. Imagine a big cable coming off the + pole of the battery, that is a foot or so long. And at it's other end of the cable is a point where it branches off to go to the various components? Get the idea? Does that exist on our truck?

thanks again
    Jim

mgp
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks folks!
    NOW, how did you make the actual connection to the battery? I would prefer not to actually go directly to the battery's "lug" or whatever you call it. I would like to be able to connect at a point near the battery. Imagine a big cable coming off the + pole of the battery, that is a foot or so long. And at it's other end of the cable is a point where it branches off to go to the various components? Get the idea? Does that exist on our truck?

thanks again
    Jim
    Check out my photos. 4 ga wire fused at battery back to a fused distribution block with 8 ga running from it..

Liked
    0 times

I cheated and ran my power wires (2) under the body, one wire up through a hole into the compartment under the rear seat to an amplifier there, and the other up through a hole under the passenger seat to an amplifier there. I ran both wires through heavy rubber grommets. I used to check the entire run for rubbing, etc - but never saw any signs of movement or wear. Both wires are fused with 40 amp fuses near the battery. I ran a smaller third wire to power the deck from the amp. I ran all the speaker wires in the trays under each door sill except for the sub which runs directly from under the seat to the stealth box.

Liked
    0 times

MPG, sorry I wasn't clear. I mean- is there already a power distribution location near the battery where the various components of the car (starter, etc.) are attached?

Liked
    0 times

Default Remote power wire?

What route do you guys use for the remote power wire? Do I have to remove the factory receiver to get to it, or is there a way I can access it in the engine compartment? I thought I would find a wire in the engine compartment to tap into, and then run the blue wire along side the 4 ga power ware into the cab to the amp. Any comments? Thanks!

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by adamkn
    What route do you guys use for the remote power wire? Do I have to remove the factory receiver to get to it, or is there a way I can access it in the engine compartment? I thought I would find a wire in the engine compartment to tap into, and then run the blue wire along side the 4 ga power ware into the cab to the amp. Any comments? Thanks!
    There is an article in the TS garage that shows you what wire to use from behind the OEM radio. I believe it is called "how to add an amplifier to your factory stereo" or something close to that.

If you run wire straight from the battery to the amp, you would need to put a relay setup or at least a toggle switch between the battery and the amp. Otherwise the amp would always receive voltage and it would stay on and kill the battery.

You can always tap into a "switched" fuse like say the turn signals at the fuse box. That way when you turn the ignition key on the amp comes on, but there's drawbacks to that too. The best way is to use the TS article wiring setup.

-Mark
    - Mark
    Just a hangin' out.

Liked
    0 times

Default Amp Location

Hi all:

I've got a 2002 Tundra Access Cab.

Just wondering where you guys mounted your amps. I looking at gettting the Q-logic sub box (dual 8" subs) and I don't see much room for the amp. Any help is appreciated. I'm kinda new to this whole car audio thing, I'm really good with home audio though. Thanks.

mgp
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by squeipo
    Hi all:

I've got a 2002 Tundra Access Cab.

Just wondering where you guys mounted your amps. I looking at gettting the Q-logic sub box (dual 8" subs) and I don't see much room for the amp. Any help is appreciated. I'm kinda new to this whole car audio thing, I'm really good with home audio though. Thanks.
    Under the front seat and behind the rear seat.

Liked
    0 times

Can I tap into the rear "accessory plug" (a.k.a. cigarette lighter plug) that is located in the rear cargo area of the Sequoia for the amplifier's remote 'turn on' wire? I think this and the other cigarette lighter plugs are only powered when the the truck is running.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.