Tundra Radio Wiring

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tundra Radio Wiring

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Tundra Radio Wiring

Does anyone know what wires coming out of the radio are for the speakers? Before it gets to the amp?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    34 times

Default Re: Tundra Radio Wiring

Quote Originally Posted by ftjeep
    Does anyone know what wires coming out of the radio are for the speakers? Before it gets to the amp?
    What kind of vehicle?
    Yera?
    make?
    model?
    Nav?
    Amount of speakers?
    JBL?
    Need to know some of this stuff to get you and accurate description and diagram

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Tundra Radio Wiring

I'm trying to hook up an aftermarket stereo and need detailed wiring diagram...HELP!!!
    2006 Toyota Tundra Limited Access Cab TRD Sport
    Stock CD/Tape Amp under Backseat 6-speaker set-up
    Anybody Help Please

Liked
    0 times

RSS Re: Tundra Radio Wiring

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which wires are which, I mean I got the speaker wires down, but the others don't match up with the aftermarket stereo...Maybe if I had the pin diagram, I dunno...

Liked
    34 times

What color are the aftermarket stereo wires you need help with?
    Then we can tell you which wires they go to on your Truck harness.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

The wire colors on all the diagrams I've found don't match the colors in my truck???
    I've hooked it up and have figured out the Power, Illum., Acc. and Ground...I actually get motion on the display, but no sound...
    The speaker colors for my aftermarket HU are: Front Lft +Wht -Wht/Blk
    Front Rt +Gray -Gray/Blk
    Rear Lft +Grn -Grn/Blk
    Rear Rt +Violet -Violet/Blk
    I'm so close any advice will help...
    Thanks

Liked
    0 times

I would like to know this also, on aftermarked systems a low level signal is sent to the amp, but does the factory system have high level signals to the amp? If thats the case you would need to remove the amp and spice the wires.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I believe crutchfield, or any other stereo retailer should sell wiring harness adapters. It makes this job incredibly easy and you go cutting your trucks wiring to pieces.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

i know people are cheap nowadays. but what is your time worth?? for the amount of time youve spent chasing wires, it wouldve probably been worth it to just buy the scosche wiring harness. its only $100.
    2007 Tundra LTD CrewMax, Black, De-badged, TRD intake, TRD exhaust, Grillcraft grill, 24" BZO Elite wheels, AVIC-Z2 DVD/NAV, 2x10" BA subs

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8, Brilliant Black, Tinted Windows, Full Stereo, 22" Forged MHT Stilleto's, KW V2's, Hotchkis Swaybars, Magnaflow hi-flo cats, Corsa cat-back exhaust, VORTECH SUPERCHARGED

2005 Yamaha R1, Blue

2009 Harley Davidson FXCW Rocker, Blue

Liked
    0 times

so after doing some research and a subscription to TIS I found the info I needed. First The AC and DC are wired differently, they have different harnesses. The system configuration is pretty advanced for a stereo because of the AVC-LAN communication, but when hooking up a new HU, that wont matter. Basically the factory radio sends a 2 channel low level input to the amp along with 12v constant and switched and a few other things. The amp then of course sends that to the speakers. All the speaker outputs are located at the 12 pin connector that hooks to the amp. When you remove the old radio, at larger 20 pin connector, look for a L-Y-BR wire or pin 1. That is the constant battery. The ACC is GR-BR wire or pin 11. The illumination is the G-BR wire or pin 2. Ground is BR pin 20. So the 4 wires are all you need to power your new HU. Next run 4 pair of wires for each channel to the old amp location. (if you have tweeters in the door they are already wired in parallel with the door speakers.) Then splice the correct wires together. (RL+ is pin 2, RL- pin 7); (RR+ is pin 3, RR- is pin 8); (FL+ is pin 4, FL- is pin 11); (FR+ is pin 5, FR- is pin 12.) If you are looking at the connector the upper right is pin 1, upper left is pin 5, lower right is pin 6, lower left is pin 12. The numbers go in order. so 5,4,3,2,1 then bottom is 12,11,10,9,8,7,6. So instead of spending 100 or more bucks on a harness just splice 4 wires for the HU and 8 for the speakers.
    Last edited by Erich_121; 06-08-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

i hooked up an aftermarket stereo in my 06 AC and it sounds great. i removed the factory amp from under the passenger rear seat and used the factory amp wiring harness but reindexed the wires to be used as speaker wire to connect from the radio to the speakers. my only problem now is i have no A/C bezel lights or instrument panel(gauge cluster) lights. does anyone know of a solution. all help will be greatly appreciated

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by r_rutledge85 View Post
    i hooked up an aftermarket stereo in my 06 AC and it sounds great. i removed the factory amp from under the passenger rear seat and used the factory amp wiring harness but reindexed the wires to be used as speaker wire to connect from the radio to the speakers. my only problem now is i have no A/C bezel lights or instrument panel(gauge cluster) lights. does anyone know of a solution. all help will be greatly appreciated
    The wiring for the FACTORY RADIO had a GREEN WIRE going to it, so does the A/C control panel.
    This GREEN wire will test as a ground with the headlights off. When you turn the Headlights ON it will switch to a 12v power, this is the signal to the toyota radio and A/C control panel that the lights are on and that the radio should dim and the control panel should light up

The Toyota wiring also has a WHITE wire with a GREEN Stripe, this wire went from the radio to the A/C integration control panel and is the ground from the Rheostat which is what adjusts the brightness of the radio, and A/C panel.
    You need both of these wires for the ILLUMINATION circuit to work.

Is the rheostat turned down?
    Last edited by mustang67408; 07-15-2009 at 07:53 AM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

so how would i do it to make it all work again, should i just connect the white wire with the green stripe to the green wire or what?? im not electronically stupid or anything, hell ive prolly installed 20 stereos or better in my lifetime but this one is being really frustrating. Once again i greatly appreciate any and all help and support

Liked
    34 times

Do not connect the 2 wires. That will cause a short.
    I have never experienced this issue using an aftermarket radio, so someone else is going to have to chime in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.