2001 Tundra factory stereo (crossovers & bypass component speakers)

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 2001 Tundra factory stereo (crossovers & bypass component speakers)

Liked
    0 times

Default 2001 Tundra factory stereo

I have searched the forums and have not found answers to my questions. I am getting ready to do the complete stereo upgrade.

Is there a factory amp that I need to bypass? Where is it?

Are there crossovers for the factory tweeters? Can the tweeters be replaced easily?

Is there a 'recommended' component speaker system that others have had success with?

Please help out a new member and Tundra owner.

Thanks,

Jlupicki

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jlupicki
    Yep. It is behind the A/C controls. If you pick up a Scosche adapter harness model TA02 the connections will be a snap.

Are there crossovers for the factory tweeters? Can the tweeters be replaced easily?
    Kinda. There is a little capacitor on the tweeter that serves as the crossover, but there is no separate crossover in the amp, or head unit, etc. So, yes they can easily be replaced with a new component tweeter.

Is there a 'recommended' component speaker system that others have had success with?
    That is a tough one to answer. I use Focal Polyflex components and LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Others have had great success with MBQuart, Boston Pros and Infinitiy comps.

That will depend on your budget and installation skills mostly, because you only have about 2 3/8" of available mounting depth...unless you start modifying things muwahahaaaaaa. **HERE** is a nice thread for reading up on comps.

What head unit do you have in mind?
    - Mark
    Just a hangin' out.

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the info JnEsPappa. Is the factory amp something a person would want to remove, not just bypass? Is there a manual I can buy or information in the forums about how to remove the door panels?

I am not a specification crazed audiophile. I am looking at a Pioneer DEH-P8600MP for the head unit. I am also living in a small market so the internet would be my only source for high end exotic equipment. I need to go with what I can actually hear at the audio store.

I am considering Infinity component speakers. I am also considering the Q Logic sub that goes on the passenger side under the back seat.

Liked
    0 times

I am also considering the Q Logic sub that goes on the passenger side under the back seat.
    You'll love that box! I just finished mine yesterday! Worked all weekend putting Peel and Seal down and installing the box and speakers! I love the sound. I will get pics up soon. I took pics of the cutting of the carpet so you can reseam it easily. Four simple cuts and that is all!
    2003 Tundra 4x4 Access cab V-8, SR5, Silver Sky Metallic, TRD Off-Road package, Tow package, LSD, cold weather prep. package, Running boards, Convienence Package, Line-X bedliner, debadged, 4 window visors, Blue Cyber Eyes, $5 rs3200 upgrade , Fog light mod.

2005 Sienna LE 8 PAX, White, Full Curtain airbags, Tow prep package, VSC, Rear Disk brakes, rear audio, aftermarket entertainment center(will be bought soon)

I'm a proud Toyota Bigot!!!
    Midwesterners checkout the midwest forum!Click here

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by anmrivera
    I took pics of the cutting of the carpet so you can reseam it easily. Four simple cuts and that is all!
    Thanks for doing that, dude. Start a thread and I'll put it up top in the A/V forum with a "sticky".
    - Mark
    Just a hangin' out.

Liked
    221 times
    Images

I have searched the forums and have not found answers to my questions. I am getting ready to do the complete stereo upgrade.

Please help out a new member and Tundra owner.

Thanks,

Jlupicki
    I have your same year truck and ripped everything toyota out years ago and started over. you can see some pics and details in my photo section.
    2013 Ram Crew Sport 4x4, 5.7, 8-speed, 3.92, Borla exhaust
    2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 Limited, Slate, TRD RW Wheels with 33" Cooper ST Maxx (sold)
    2001 Tundra 4x4
    2000 tundra 4x4
    1998 Tacoma
    1997 Tacoma
    1995.5 Tacoma

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=348&dateline=12472564  47

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the info JnEsPappa. Is the factory amp something a person would want to remove, not just bypass? Is there a manual I can buy or information in the forums about how to remove the door panels?
    There is plenty of info. on that with pictures and all. I think it is well worth the cost of the TS membership to gain access to.

You could easily leave the amp in place, but if you are considering selling your OEM radio, you should sell it as a package with the amp.
    - Mark
    Just a hangin' out.