JBL Speaker - What is their Ohm load

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: JBL Speaker - What is their Ohm load

Liked
    0 times

Question JBL Speaker - What is their Ohm load

Are the JBL speakers usable with aftermarket amps?
    What is the ohm load?

Local audio shops says the JBL speakers might not work with my alpine V12 and Alpine HU..

Help

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Not sure if the Tundra is the same as my Sequoia but I had the shop check mine and they said the woofer was 2 ohm, mid was 3 ohm, and tweeter was 4 ohm. They didn't recommend I get aftermarket speakers unless I do at least a different amp with it. I really wanted to put a set of JL audio comps in but they said it would probably sound like crap on the factory amp due to the different loads the amp is putting out.

Liked
    0 times

Any hints anyone

Liked
    0 times

if all your worried about is impedance(basically resistance with a non zero phase angle) then the V12 amp should be fine if u do not bridge it to the jbls....if u would like me to be be sure then let me know the model number...i know some of em have a classD section and i also believe there might be some classT versions....most amps are rated at 2ohms in stereo, 4ohms in mono(bridged)...uwould be using the stereo setting...if u were using the speakers in the truck then all u would need to do is to calibrate the gains of each speaker using the amp...this is a non issue and is done in every stereo...same principle as a balance control...since the jbl's are more than likely very efficient(the basic tradeoff is capable low frequency response, large enclosure size(of course related to the t/s parameters of the speaker), and power handling...u must have at least two of these to have useable low frequency response), the power from your alpine V12 should be more than adequate.....
    lets get that alpine model number and go from there.....
    if u have a DMM we can walk u through how to measure the speaker impedance(well really nominal impedance since it changes with frequency because your driving an inductor)....
    nominal impedance is the 'resistance' at DC or no current flowing through the speaker...
    t/s refers to the specifications of the speaker to predict frequency response in any given enclosure and is named after the genteleman who did the research so that we can do these predictions...Theile and Small.....
    DC = direct current
    AC = alternating current

Kevin

Liked
    0 times

Alpine MRV-F400

Liked
    0 times

according to the information below the mrv-400 is rated at 2 ohms so it should power your jbl 2ohm drivers reliably.....i'd do it without thinking twice...
    Kevin

Specifications
    Power Output
    RMS Power (at 12V, 20-20kHz)
    Per Channel into 4ohms ........................................... 40W x 4 (0.08% THD)
    Per Channel into 2ohms .............................................. 50W x4 (0.3% THD)
    Bridged 2 Channel into 4ohms ................................. 100W x 2 (0.3% THD)
    Dynamic Power (at 14.4V, 20-20kHz)
    Per Channel into 4ohms ........................................... 60W x 4 (0.08% THD)
    Per Channel into 2ohms ............................................. 80W x 4 (0.3% THD)
    Bridged 2 Channel into 4ohms ................................. 160W x 2 (0.3% THD)
    Frequency Response .................................... 10Hz to 50kHz (0, -1 dB)
    Signal-to-Noise Ratio . .....................100dBA(referenced to rated power)
    Input Sensitivity (for rated power)
    Line inputs ............200mV-4V (500mV at detent).......... (1.0V at center)
    Input impedance .................................................. .................. 10k ohms
    Speaker Impedance ................................. 4 or 2ohms(stereo) or 4ohms mono
    Dividing Network Frequency and Slope................ 50-200Hz (12dB/oct)
    Power Requirements .................................11-16V DC (negative ground)
    Dimensions (WxHxD) ................ 9-7/16"x2-1/16"x13"(240x53x330mm)

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-16-2013, 03:02 PM