1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Antenna Differences on XM & Sirius

Liked
    1 times

Default Antenna Differences on XM & Sirius

I have a question for the crowd:

Is there a difference between the antenna used on XM vs. Sirius?

What is known:

The connectors are both an SMB connection
    The antenna has a 50 ohm impedance.
    The bandwidth of both is the same

Currently I have an antenna designed for an XM radio on a Sirius tuner and I keep getting ‘antenna error’.

My question is that I have bought the XM universal tuner and adapter to mate with my Kenwood 7015. I have a problem in that I can now only plug either the XM box OR the changer into the head unit.

All components are installed already and I am down to working on the dash only.

After some research I learn that the Kenwood makes a Sirius tuner that allows you to daisy chain the changer off of the Sirius tuner, thus keeping both pieces.

I have added the Sirius tuner, while keeping the XM antenna. I want to know if anyone has any experience doing this or if my problem lies in the antenna.

I can certainly go buy another antenna if I have to, but I will have to dismantle the truck again to get it installed!

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

you need the Sirius antenna for Sirius and the XM one for XM. Luckily, Sirius has the micro antenna now so it is small like the XM one
    www.teamvasko.com

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Antenna Differences on XM & Sirius

I have found the XM and SIRIUS antenae to be interchangeable. On our last hunting trip, my buddy brought his hand-held XM unit and we used my SIRIUS roof mounted antenna to improve his reception...it worked great!

Sometimes, the XM's antenna wire has an extra shielded plastic thingy on the end...but the connector is the same.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

XM and Sirius antennas are not totally incompatible... However, manufacturers and vendors are loathe to suggest, much less claim, you can use one for the other's service.

Some antenna listings do, however, state you can receive the other service using them - albeit it at a reduced or weakened signal strength.

I've also heard anecdotal stories like the one above - indicating one service's antenna works (to some extent; as good as anything) for the other.

I think it's something of a situation- / antenna-specific thing, and there's no universal answer....

Liked
    0 times

The two services use frequencies 12MHz off from each other, all in the 2.3GHz band. I doubt the antennas are tuned down to that level of accuracy, so theoretically one should work for the other. The two services do use different types of satellites however, and different types of orbits for them. I don't know if that would have an impact, but it's something to consider.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.