do door speakers need to be sealed tight?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: do door speakers need to be sealed tight?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default do door speakers need to be sealed tight?

Howzit!

I put new focal 165's in my passeger door last night after soundproofing it heavily with fat mat. Put some aluminum washers from my bike shop and a longer bolt in the lower window track mount. Speaker holes did not line up just right with the factory holes so I just used 3 out of the 4 nice and tight.
    Should I use clear silicone caulking between the lip of the focal and the edge of the factory speaker mounting ring? I wrapped the edges of the mounting housing in the door with strips of fatmat but I could go back and caulk it nice and tight. the door is not airtight, so does this matter?

I can't get the drivers door panel off, the torx in the door handles was put in cross threaded in japan, going to have to drill the head off tomorrow night.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

In theory for best SQ you should have the drivers in a sealed or ported box, but in practice it is almost impossible for even the most hardened audio fan to do so in the front doors. So you at best, can hope to set up the best infinate baffle situation you can and try and prevent as much of the backwave from escaping and cancelling out the sound of the speaker. Now without having a sealed box you open your driver up to potential harm from low bass notes. This can be and is ussually done with an electronic highpass crossover that is set at 2X the For Sale of the driver. Say the spec sheet tells you the For Sale is 41hz...you then need to set the xover value to 85hz or higher.

BUT, I thnk it is FAR more critical to get the speaker mounted properly using all 4 bolts and mounted to a completely flat surface. This is in order to prevent the twisting of the driver frame and eventually destroying the voice coil. You normally do this with a wooden spacer. Although with the cast frame of the Focal...you are less likely to twist the frame, but don't tighten the driver TOO much...if you see any flex stop.

Liked
    0 times

wow, good to know. im a stereo noob too.
    MODS: (TRD Urban package) - tint, stereo, jack-in-the box antennae ball, and my middle finger.

~ been there, done that, got the panties ~

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by tm311
    In theory for best SQ you should have the drivers in a sealed or ported box, but in practice it is almost impossible for even the most hardened audio fan to do so in the front doors.
    Well, 99% of car component speakers are intended/designed to be installed infinite baffle, so a sealed or ported box is a bad idea for them. If you are lucky enough to find the TS parameters for them and do some modeling you will see that the optimal volumes are huge...so large they are practically IB.

I do agree that you should use a highpass crossover on your mids and let a sub pull your bass duty.

For the original question, I had the same gap issue with my own Focal mids and I used adhesive backed weather stripping between the speaker and OEM plastic mount and then I wrapped sound deadening material around the edge of the speaker to further seal that gap. That worked great.
    - Mark
    Just a hangin' out.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by JnEsPappa
    Well, 99% of car component speakers are intended/designed to be installed infinite baffle, so a sealed or ported box is a bad idea for them. If you are lucky enough to find the TS parameters for them and do some modeling you will see that the optimal volumes are huge...so large they are practically IB.
    While I agree that 99% of car audio door speakers are simply screwed into the door and nothing else...I am not convinced that 99% are actually "designed" for IB applications even though that is the "intended" use. I would love to see an example of this.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by tm311
    I would love to see an example of this.
    Attached are the TS specs of my very own Focal mids which I originally planned to install in ported kick panels. After some computer design followed by some good head scratching and investigation (asking questions on several car audio boards) I came to the conclusion I stated above.

Run those numbers through your favorite design software and see what size enclosures you get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FocalBoxCropped.bmp 
Views:	267 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	10502  
    - Mark
    Just a hangin' out.