How To Check Transmission Fluid?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: How To Check Transmission Fluid?

hl
    Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Question How To Check Transmission Fluid?

The owners manual for my 2001 Avalon does not show anything about checking transmission fluid. Does anyone know for sure if the engine is to be running with the transmission in park? neutral? or engine even running?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: How To Check Transmission Fluid?

Check when engine is hot and has been driven several miles. Then check dipstick while engine is parked and IDLING. Yu will get a most accurate reading with this procedure. I would only use Toyota ATF. But if all is ok yu should never have to add anything. Never, ever overfill. Only put in several ounces at a time if a top off IS needed. Only use the Toyota Type ATF that is stated on the transmission dipstick. Part# 00718-ATF00 (Dexron II/Dexron III replacement Fluid).

LT

hl
    Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Arrow Re: How To Check Transmission Fluid?

What do you think about Mobil 1 trans fluid--is it worth the money?

Do you recomend perodic flushes or just drain and refill?

Also, do you think it is necessary to ever replace the trans filter screen or just clean it?

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: How To Check Transmission Fluid?

All synthetic fluids are way over-priced. I've taken cars beyond 300K using conventional fluids.

The metal screen does not need to be changed; it was designed to be washed and reused. How often I cannot say, but if it were mine, I'd pull it and wash it at 30K and do it again at 60K, along with a fluid change.

Regarding the "flush". A local Toyota dealership service mgr. had an interetsing comment on this.

05-07 Avalons use WS transmission fluid. In order to do a flush, the shop would need a dedicated WS machine. Few if any are willing to spend the $$ on a machine for just one type of fluid. This may change as there are so many fluids now.

I recently sold an '87 Accord with over 300K. Original transmission. The unit holds 6 qts and has no filter. A drain will remove 3 qts - half the fluid. I changed it on avg., about twice a year. Never flushed it.

Some promote flushing, but flushing can deep six a transmission, especially if the process breaks any dirt loose and it has happened.

Lots of opinions on flushing. As far as I'm concerned, you drain what you can twice a year and clean the screen every 30K.

My 2 cents.
    Mike Murrell