2006 Avalon Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 2006 Avalon Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

Liked
    0 times

Question 2006 Avalon Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

Hoping a dealer tech picks this one up.

Yes I know the owners manual says the '06 Avalon automatic transmission fluid never needs to be changed and that's just pure malarky.

Pan has a drain plug and there's a dip stick under the hood so it's drainable and refillable just like any unit.

The pan design is very similar to the '04 Tacoma automatic used in the 2.4l version. Within that unit is a metal mesh filter that's removable for washing out.

Does the '06 Avalon also have a removable mesh type filter?

Thanks for your time.

Mike Murrell

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: 2006 Avalon Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

Yes, ALL Toyota automatics from the state of the art 8 speed 2007 Lexus LS460 to the 1965 Toyota Corona have had removable metal mesh filter screens. HOWEVER, these screens almost never become restricted, hence almost never need to be cleaned because they trap only non-magnetic wear particles. The bulk of the wear particles are trapped by magnets attached to the inside bottom of the transmission oil pan. Even these magnets don't need regular cleaning. Bottom line is the pan does NOT need to be removed for magnet and filter screen cleaning until the vehicle has accumulated at least 150,000 miles or has been driven hard; e.g by a teenager, for trailering duty and that sort of thing.

The super easy and inexpensive way to maintain a Toyota automatic for 400,000 troubefree miles is to simply drain and refill the 2-3 quarts in the tranny oil pan every 15,000 - 30,000 miles and to use only Toyota brand fluid. If you do that and don't drive wildly and aggressively then you can pretty much forget about ever having to remove the tranny oil pan to clean anything.

Liked
    0 times

Kathy:

Thanks for your post. I change the Dexron-III fluid in my '04 Tacoma automatic EVERYTIME I change oil and that's usually around 3500 miles.

Did the same with an '87 Accord Lx and it's got right at 300,000 on it - original motor/tranny still in the car.

Yup...these Asian vehicles will last forever if you keep clean fluid and filters in them.

The '06 Avalon has close to 25,000 on it and I'll drain and refill the tranny with Toyota WS(world std.) next oil change.

Couldn't believe the parts counter person at my local dealership told me the '06 Avalon units are "sealed". I told him mine had a dip stick & a drain plug on the pan and he didn't believe it. The guy works in a Toyota dealership and knows less about this car than I do.

This is why I have and will always be a DIYER.

Liked
    0 times

I bought a one day subscription to -> Toyota | Lexus Service Support

Downloaded the entire section for the '06 Avalon automatic transmission. This vehicle uses the U151E tarnsmission.

Nowhere in this doc was there any indication that a diyer could not drain/refill his/her '06 Avalon automatic transmission.

I also posted this question to 5 area Toyota service depts. via their WEB sites. Here's the reply I received from Fred Driffill at Red McCombs Toyota in San Antonio, Tx. The photo that may not open is merely an excerpt from the '06 Avalon owners manual showing the refill quantity which is 3.7 qts.

There is no reason why a DIYER cannot change his/her own '06 Avalon automatic transmission fluid. Just be sure to use the Toyota WS fluid.

The 2006 Avalon uses WS transmission fluid. Under no circumstances should any other fluid type be put in the transmission as it may cause erratic and hard shifting and possible damage.

That said, there is not any special procedure for draining and refilling the transaxle on the 2006 - 2007 Avalon. The confusion may be from some of our vehicles not having a dip stick (the common place for adding fluid if through the tube the dip stick is in). Our 4Runner and Tundra are a couple of our vehicles that do not have dip sticks and require special technical procedures to fill and check the fluid level.

When draining the transaxle you will only get about three quarts out of the pan while about four or five stay inside the transaxle and torque converter. To change all of the fluid you would need to have a flush performed. Toyota says that we must have a dedicated flush machine for WS fluid if we are to do flushes on vehicles that use WS fluid. As of right now we do not have a dedicated WS flush machine nor do we have any plans to offer this service in the foreseeable future.

We have recommended drain & fills every 30,000 miles on most of our vehicles. We recommend flushes when the fluid is excessively dirty. Typically it is at higher mileage and on vehicle that the fluid most likely has never been serviced.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need any additional information,

Frank A. Driffill
    Parts & Service Director
    Red McCombs Toyota
    fdriffill@redmac.net
    (210) 357-1667

Liked
    3 times

Very thorough reply. Very interesting.

LT

Liked
    0 times

In another thread in this forums Avalon section, I wrote up the procedure I followed for changing the '06 Avalon transmission fluid.

It's a "can-do", especially since the car has a drain plug on the bottom of the pan and a dip-stick.
    Mike Murrell

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I had the joy of visiting a plant that makes toyota transmissions. They design their trannies and fluid to go 200,000 miles. The op manager said there is no reason to change the fluid. We know toyota makes a quality product, I got to see how they do that, based on that I saw, save your money and do not change the fluid. I asked him several times about his and he said no reason to change fluid. We buy toyotas because we trust them so I will trust their judgement on fluid changes.

hl
    Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by LifeTech View Post
    Very thorough reply. Very interesting.

LT
    What have you done for maintenance on your Avalon transmission? Thanks

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by gold4runner View Post
    save your money and do not change the fluid. I asked him several times about his and he said no reason to change fluid. We buy toyotas because we trust them so I will trust their judgement on fluid changes.

If you buy a new car every 4-5 years, you may very well get away with this.

If you hope to keep it 10 or more years as some of us do, you may wish you had ignored the advise you were given on your plant tour.

My '06 Avalon is driven in a sane manner and most of the miles are highway miles. At 24,000 I drained the transmission fluid from the bottom of the pan. The color was not anywhere near the same color as the replacement WS fluid.

What would it look like at 100K or at the 200K your tour guide suggested.?

Do you really think Toyota or any car mfg. wants your car to last more than 100K?

Todays vehicles are intentionally designed to go 5 years and croak on the maint. regimes suggested.

Again - if you buy a new car every 4-5 years, go for the extended interval plan. If you do not like feeding the car mfgs. and know how to maintain a car, you might want to rethink these extended intervals.
    Mike Murrell

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Murrell View Post
    If you buy a new car every 4-5 years, you may very well get away with this.

If you hope to keep it 10 or more years as some of us do, you may wish you had ignored the advise you were given on your plant tour.

My '06 Avalon is driven in a sane manner and most of the miles are highway miles. At 24,000 I drained the transmission fluid from the bottom of the pan. The color was not anywhere near the same color as the replacement WS fluid.

What would it look like at 100K or at the 200K your tour guide suggested.?

Do you really think Toyota or any car mfg. wants your car to last more than 100K
    Todays vehicles are intentionally designed to go 5 years and croak on the maint. regimes suggested.

Again - if you buy a new car every 4-5 years, go for the extended interval plan. If you do not like feeding the car mfgs. and know how to maintain a car, you might want to rethink these extended intervals.
    Yes toyota and others do want their cars to go over 100K and I am sure there are many folks here who can gladly say they did. You know unless you are working for toyota, I will take the Ops managers word over you. Now a case in point, there was a time when spark plugs lasted say 30k, now they are way beyond that. Technology changes. If you know anything about the toyota production system then you know they are constantly improving their product. What data do you have to support your claims of "5 years and croak"? Rather than anecdotal evidence just put up some data to show that toyota designs their cars and plans their maintenance so that the car is toast after 5 years. Talk with facts. data talks and bs walks.

Liked
    0 times

Yes toyota and others do want their cars to go over 100K and I am sure there are many folks here who can gladly say they did. You know unless you are working for toyota, I will take the Ops managers word over you. Now a case in point, there was a time when spark plugs lasted say 30k, now they are way beyond that. Technology changes. If you know anything about the toyota production system then you know they are constantly improving their product. What data do you have to support your claims of "5 years and croak"? Rather than anecdotal evidence just put up some data to show that toyota designs their cars and plans their maintenance so that the car is toast after 5 years. Talk with facts. data talks and bs walks.

If you're happy with the malarky being fed to you by Toyota, so be it.

These extended intervals are designed to sell cars to people who don't want to maintain their vehicles.

The avg. Joe sells/trades his/her car on or before 100K, so Toyota and other mfgs. setup these ridiculous maintenance regimens for that crowd. You buy the car and do nothing more than change oil/rotate tires for 100K.

As I said above, the transmission fluid on my '06 Avalon was no where near as clean as new fluid and that was at 24K. Just imagine what it would look like at 100K.

Let's see you put 300,000 - 400,000 miles on your odometer following Toyota's advise.

That's the kind of mileage I have on all of mine and that wont happen using minimal maintenance as mfgs. are now pushing.
    Last edited by Mike Murrell; 09-24-2007 at 01:32 PM.
    Mike Murrell

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

That's the kind of mileage I have on all of mine and that wont happen using minimal maintenance as mfgs. are now pushing.[/quote]

You seem to ignore the progress that is continually being made with all aspects of cars. No grease fittings, long life spark plugs, long life anti freeze, improved oil, improved tranny fluids, improved trannys, better manufacturing techniques, improved materials, composite materials. The list goes on. Relative to your fluid, did you have it analyzed to compare to new? You are arguing opinion and hypotheticals. Bring some facts to the discussion. Based on your qoutes about worn tranny fluid and toyota marketing malarkey, why do you own a Toyota, you seem to have a low opinion of Toyota products? Read the book - The Toyota Production System, that will help you understand that Toyota does continously improve their products and how they do it. Finally your last sentence, how do you know you would not have gotten the mileage using the factory recommended maintenance? You are correlating mileage and maintenance, you do not have cause and effect because you do not have a reference point, car with factory schedule compared to car with enhanced maintenance.

Liked
    0 times

That's the kind of mileage I have on all of mine and that wont happen using minimal maintenance as mfgs. are now pushing.
    You seem to ignore the progress that is continually being made with all aspects of cars. No grease fittings, long life spark plugs, long life anti freeze, improved oil, improved tranny fluids, improved trannys, better manufacturing techniques, improved materials, composite materials. The list goes on. Relative to your fluid, did you have it analyzed to compare to new? You are arguing opinion and hypotheticals. Bring some facts to the discussion. Based on your qoutes about worn tranny fluid and toyota marketing malarkey, why do you own a Toyota, you seem to have a low opinion of Toyota products? Read the book - The Toyota Production System, that will help you understand that Toyota does continously improve their products and how they do it. Finally your last sentence, how do you know you would not have gotten the mileage using the factory recommended maintenance? You are correlating mileage and maintenance, you do not have cause and effect because you do not have a reference point, car with factory schedule compared to car with enhanced maintenance.[/quote]

Do come back after you've gone 300K on the same transmission fluid and let us all know how it worked out.

Tah tah for now sweet cheeks.
    Mike Murrell

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by hl View Post
    What have you done for maintenance on your Avalon transmission? Thanks
    Old post, Sorry...
    At 60K, I Just dropped the tranny Pan plug. and refilled with about 4 qts if I remember. remember it is tricky to get the level just right.

Trick: Measure exactly what came out...then refill with this exact amount.

But a little at a time. Depending on temp of fluid when it came out, will determine exact amount. ( Hot fluid expands- Fresh/cold fluid has less volume)

Use exact Toyota fluid as described on Tranny Dipstick!! Nothing else. I believe it was T-III for my 01 Avalon.. Check yours.

BTW my 06 HL uses T-IV, Not the WS.

LT

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Do come back after you've gone 300K on the same transmission fluid and let us all know how it worked out.

Tah tah for now sweet cheeks.[/quote]

watch the name calling, a tad immature.