how often should i change oil in my 2000 avalon xls?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: how often should i change oil in my 2000 avalon xls?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default how often should i change oil in my 2000 avalon xls?

Hello Everyone,

New here, nice forum!

I drive all highway miles in my 2000 avalon xls. I bought the car with 96k miles on it and I've put 40k on it, so it now has 136k miles on it.

I've changed the oil anywhere from 5k-7500 mile intervals. With all highway miles at consistent speeds mostly, is this ok, or should I switch to every 3k miles?

I've just been reading about engine sludge problems if you don't change the oil enough. My car doesn't burn any oil at all. When I do check the oil after 5k miles it is still pretty clean and the level is the same place as when I first changed it. Am I ok with my current interval? I use Castrol GTX 5w30 oil and fram filters.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: how often should i change oil in my 2000 avalon xls?

Toyota says every 5000 miles change the oil. More often if used under EXTREME conditions. Coal Miner in Florida. PS. Your suppose to use 5w-30 oil. Thats best for all around weather conditions, easier starting in colder weather & better gas mileage as per Toyota.

Liked
    2 times

Your V6 is Toyota's most sludge prone motor. So 4000 miles is a safer bet.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Toyota says 5k for severe, 7500 for "normal". Your driving sounds "normal", per Toy's definitions. See schedule here:

Toyota Parts and Service

Having said that, I probably would go with 5 k intervals, and not worry if a busy schedule occasionally delayed it to7k.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Due to the sludge issue if you are using conventional oil I would change it every 3000 miles. If you have no obvious oil leaks you could use a high quality synthetic such as Castrol, Mobil1, or Pennzoil and safely double that as it has a much higher flash point (withstands high temperatures more easily) and is much less likely to cause deposits/sludge than conventional oil.

Liked
    1 times

According to my owners manual Toyota engineers say it okay to use synthic oil but you still have to change it every 5000 miles. Less under extreme driving conditions. Coal Miner

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Last time I have changed at 3500 miles since I used it very roughly

Liked
    0 times

Default Every 5000-7000

Change oil in your car every 5000-7000 miles along with the filter. At this interval, the use of synthetic or normal oil in not important since most of your milage is highway (which is easiest on a car).

One thing to check to give you peace of mind is to remove your oil filler cap on the engine and look to see if there is any sludge build up on the under side of it. If not; your oil choice and oil change interval are correct. If there is quite a bit of sludge, then increase your oil change interval to 3500 miles and switch to a full synthetic.

virg