2006 Avalon - basic factory stereo

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2006 Avalon - basic factory stereo

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2006 Avalon - basic factory stereo

Hi guys,
    Just bought a 2006 Touring and I love it... dealers demo - 4K miles by the owner and it came w/ all the options plus a couple more except that it doesn't have the JBL system (or the navi). The basic stereo it does have is kind of 'muddy' or maybe dullish would be a better word. It's driving me nutz. It has 9 speakers, not sure what the HU is. Anyhow, I've inquired w/ a couple of audio installers and the general consensus is that to remove the HU would be cost prohibitive as so much of the electrical is integrated into it. Dealer could do it but that would require replacing panels, etc., again major league dollars, way out of my station in life.

It seems to me that so many of the new cars are like this... not stereo upgradeable unless money is no option. What I am thinking is installing "clean sweep" by JL Audio and maybe a subwoofer in the trunk... dunno if I can add Sirius to the HU... any suggestions out there? The stock stereo system would be OK for someone who doesn't care about music but I love music - don't require (and can't afford!) a top of the line system and whatever I do would have to be professionally done since time and ignorance on my part play in as well.

Why oh why didn't it come with the JBL? Why do the 6 CD/Cassette upgrade for $200 and not include JBL for a few dollars more? Silly. But there you go... any help would be so appreciated. Thanks for your time.

PS. Love the car, fun and nice to drive but the stereo really stinks - CD's aren't too bad though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 2006 Avalon - basic factory stereo

All is not lost! You have another option.

Keep the HU, it's fine. What you need are better speakers, an amp and a new product from JL Audio called a Clean Sweep. The amp & speakers are self explanitory, but the Clean Sweep is a DSP unit and it will custom tune the sound quality for your car. The Clean Sweep integrates with your factory HU. All this will set you back some bucks, but if you want good sound......
    http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=94

The JBL system has DSP in the amp. unit that comes with the car.
    http://www.toyotajbl.com/amplifier.asp

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thank you for the reply bluesman.

That's the road I was thinking I'd have to take although I didn't think of an amp - might be a bit complicated for me. Install a subwoofer in the trunk, maybe upgrade the rear door speakers and add the JL Clean Sweep. There are no speakers on the back deck with the basic Avalon radio 9 speaker setup... so there isn't much 'surround sound' effect at all and not much sound behind you. The speaker quality might not be too bad as CD's sound pretty good although again, not much bass and not much sound behind you - but a lot clearer sound than the sound the radio puts out. I think the HU is not too good at all so hopefully the Clean Sweep would improve it somewhat. Also was thinking maybe satellite radio might help but the HU is not satellite ready as far as I know.

Love the car but the basic stereo really is crummy. I've heard the JBL upgrade is excellent - and just looking at the website you linked to makes me envious. But I got a good price on the car and got all the other options... so I shouldn't complain much!

Thanks again!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Correct, your HU is not SAT ready. You can buy an integrator for that & hide the SAT tuner but my understanding is you won't see the station selection on the HU display.

All the HU does is function as a tuner, the amp & Sweep handle the sound quality. Once you install the Sweep you play a CD provided with the unit and it self adjusts the sound for your vehicle. Besides, hacking in another HU on that dash won't be pretty.

That JBL amp makes a huge difference over the standard stereo....

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

There is a Toyota accessory SIRIUS Satellite Radio Tuner for the '06 Avalon, it is Toyota P/N PTS31-07050.
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

"Besides, hacking in another HU on that dash won't be pretty."

Well that's the thing... having the Toyota dealership do the work (upgrade to the JBL set up) would cost parts, labor plus all the replacement panels of the areas where they install the diff parts. Like thousands of dollars I've been told. Definitely not an option for a working class slob such as I am.

Lord! You can't see the station selection on the installed sat tuner??? I borrowed my brother's jeep a couple of times (he has the aftermarket Sirius sat tuner as a HU, returned the 'roadie' sirius b/c it had analog quality) and although I loved the sound plus the amazing music selection, I felt like I should have gone to grad school to 'get' how to change stations to what I wanted to listen to on the dang thing. For me, prolly impossible to figure out w/o the visual aspect.

At this point, I think the way to go is with the Sweep, upgrade of the back door speakers and install a subwoofer on the back deck (trunk). Plus the amp like you suggested. Save the satellite install for a possibility down the road.

I've read that only certain audio places handle the JL Audio sweep (not the big box names), does anyone know if that's true? I'd kind of like someplace like BB to do the install (have had good luck plus a fair price with them in the past for basic stuff like HU's & replacement speakers) and going to a privately owned audio place scares me because so far, the installs appear to be pretty expensive. No Tweeter around w/i 25 miles or so, so they're out.

Mr. Parrot, thanks for the part # of the adaptor... I'll save that for a down the road possibility.

Thank you guys so much... I really ran into a wall here.... no one seems to know much about the 2006 Avalon integrated HU and how you would go about upgrading it. Some say the basic audio set up is 'fine' and just live with it but I love to drive and I love the car and this stereo is just unacceptible unless you are tone/stone deaf.

Hopefully with the age of Avalon buyers dropping somewhat, Toyota will see the wisdom of either making the HU upgradeable friendly or just putting in JBL as standard equipment.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

You'll need to find a JL Audio dealer, probably any local auto customizer dealing in stereos, alarms, window tinting, 20's, etc....

My understanding is with the aftermarket SAT integrator you'll only see a something like a CD track number for the station you're listening to, and thus you'd need to keep a station list and remember which track numbers are your favorite.

Anything is possible with money......if you want better sound this is the way to go.

Speakers
    Amp
    Sweep as an option

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks very much again, bluesman. I will be doing a recon of customizers over the next couple of weeks and I will post here what I find.... just in case someone else is in the same boat as I am in and 'googles' for a solution. Not much info out there on removing & upgrading the HU from a 2005 or 2006 Avalon. Guess the 12 speaker + Amp JBL system is great and if you didn't order it you don't really care about car stereos anyway - unless you had to buy a car 'as is' and didn't have the option to upgrade as in my case.

At least this is a fun and hopefully rewarding way to spend $$$.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Forgot to say that the integrated antenna in the 2006 Avalon is not too good.. at least with the basic stereo (like not the JBL) - stations that never had static in any of my other cars now have static. Posting this because I don't see too much info out there on the basic stereo setup (again, not the JBL upgrade) for those who have it.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote in 'toyotanation' so it will be documented for any googlers who need basic radio upgrade assistance:

I went to a very reputable aftermarket place yesterday and they are a certified installer of the JL Audio "clean sweep" - talked to a couple of techs for a while and they went out and listened to my 'muddy' basic toyota stereo - the HU is manufactured by Fujitsu Ten and they've had quite a few new HU installs/audio upgrades for Camrys as well as the Avalons - same complaints as mine.

They recommended against Clean Sweep b/c it'd be cheaper to replace the HU plus antenna (apparently reception is a major complaint with the basic Toyota radio setup, not sure on the JBL upgrade) and if I chose, possibly upgrade a couple of the back door speakers and install an amp. Apparently the OEM HU can be taken out and replaced w/o losing the controls on the steering wheels. They will replace it with an Eclipse CD200 (ironically, Fujitsu Ten is the manufacturer) plus an adaptor if I want to keep those controls at my fingertips - cost will be $300 inc. install. For another $175 they will install Sirius plus the satellite antenna. If I want an amp it'll be another $399 and if I want to upgrade those lower back door speakers (for a fuller sound and a bit deeper bass - the original set up sounds like there's not much behind your head unless you fade the sound to behind you and then it still sounds crappy) it'll be $250. So whole thing will be about $1100, including installation. I will lose the JBL 6 CD changer and I guess probably the cassette player. Don't really care much about either one of them anyway although the 6 CD changer is handy to store CDs and eliminates fishing around while driving for the CD you want to listen to.

I decided against the JL Audio Clean Sweep b/c it wouldn't improve reception and the volume has to be controlled by the unit itself... seems to make more financial sense and also keeps the ability to upgrade later if I choose to change the HU and build from there. Down the road maybe a sub would be good... which is why I will have the amp installed, but right now this is quite enough money for me to plunk down.

I think I've seen somewhere that the plastic casing around the OEM HU can be ordered... not sure where but if so, the upgrade won't degrade the appearence of the dashboard - which is nice and spartan.

~~~~~~~~~~unrelated but I notice that I get much better gas milage by using the mid grade gas and not the 'regular' grade.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

There is a kit to fit the avalon din's

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TAna8vw...8215&s=0&cc=01

It will allow for your din door to close, but it's black... I sanded and painted mine, but it was a waste because now I've got to return it. I tried to install an Alpine into my Touring Avalon also. Unfortunately, the wiring harness for given by Crutchfield didn't allow my data screen in the middle of the dash to work. The Apline unit worked great and it sounded nice, but I lost my data screen... so I didn't feel it was worth it to lose that.

Wherever you go to get your new deck installed, be sure they can guarantee your screen will be operational. I tried to do it out of my garage and failed miserably. Good luck with your upgrade...

Please let me know how it turns out. Thanks!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Talking Re: 2006 Avalon - basic factory stereo

Just got a new 06' Avalon xls with nav and jbl 6-disc synthesis system. Wanting to connect amp and subs and possibly bluetooth and ipod in the near future. Any radio removal and wiring guides?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Question Re: 2006 Avalon - basic factory stereo

I am a newbie! I have a 2006 Toyota Avalon Limited with the upgraded stero and Nav. When the radio is on & the car is moving the screen prohiits text etc. with the anoying caution language, telling me that it is dageroous to read and drive. I think I am old enough ( 56 ) to decide this for myself. Is there any way to blank out this message or better yet overide it?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Cool Re: 2006 Avalon - basic factory stereo

Quote Originally Posted by 05touringavalon View Post
    There is a kit to fit the avalon din's

Toyota Avalon In-dash Receiver Kit 2005-up, chassis size E at Crutchfield.com

It will allow for your din door to close, but it's black... I sanded and painted mine, but it was a waste because now I've got to return it. I tried to install an Alpine into my Touring Avalon also. Unfortunately, the wiring harness for given by Crutchfield didn't allow my data screen in the middle of the dash to work. The Apline unit worked great and it sounded nice, but I lost my data screen... so I didn't feel it was worth it to lose that.

Wherever you go to get your new deck installed, be sure they can guarantee your screen will be operational. I tried to do it out of my garage and failed miserably. Good luck with your upgrade...

Please let me know how it turns out. Thanks!

After you installed the stereo your self was you able to still close the door that hides the stereo when it is not in use,Im getting the Z1 from Pionner,have anybody try to change there stereo and deck,if so can you share.Thanks
    Last edited by REAL_37; 02-04-2007 at 11:13 PM. Reason: need to make some changes

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.