1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Avalon Limited XM Radio

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2006 Avalon Limited XM Radio

I just took possession of my 2006 Limited and love it. It has the JBL system in it and is supposedly satellite ready. I would like to install an XM system. Can anyone provide information on what I need? I see the Sirius system mentioned, but nothing on XM. Part numbers, prices, supplier, anything you can provide would be great, Thanks!

John Hagen

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 2006 Avalon Limited XM Radio

My local Toyota dealer was able to find an OEM kit at another dealership. Lately the price has been running $299 for it. This one is costing me $350. Says they are on long-lead backorder at Toyota warehouses. None in any warehouse in the USA. Sounds odd, but what do I know.

Local audio shop will install for me at $65. Less than half what my dealer wanted.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I need a clear answer if someone has one...

I am catching wind that the Toyota XM Kit only has a 10 character display for the artist and title. Is this true? If so, I need to cancel mt order. Seems pretty odd to be limited and I don't want that goofy look in my nice car. I'd rather go with an aftermarket install.

Please help!

Thanks.
    John

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hi John,

I don't have XM in my 2006 Limited but I've followed the Avalon forums at Edmunds Town Hall for a year -- the factory unit does only display the first 10 characters of the Artist and Song Name. From what I read it's been a common complaint. Hope that helps.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I've been looking at maybe installing XM late this year. It seems the best alternative to the OEM one is to use XMDirect and a Vais SLX interface.

Supposedly this will buy you about 16 characters, and keep everything fully integrated into your existing radio (IE your radio can still control the XM receiver). It'll most likely ending up costing you more than the OEM one though.

However, you could look at getting a color matched antennae for it instead of the ugly black box to go on your trunk.

Many different things you could do... It just depends (as always) what you require and how much you want to spend.

Someone just recently posted pics of their install of XMDirect/SLX in a Prius on the xmfan forums:
    http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=62758

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for your inputs. This really helped me out. I have decided to forego the Toyota OEM unit and get the SLX and the XDM1000. Ordered it today and should be here on Monday, install on Tuesday.

In looking through the Avalon owner manual, I did find where it mentions the display only shows 10 characters for the XM operation. Sad... I'd of rather stayed with OEM equipment.

Got the SLX and XDM1000 for $309 plus shipping. Saved money over the OEM unit.

Thanks again!!

John

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Let us know how it goes. I'm definately considering the same late this year.

Mind sharing who you ordered through ?

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

http://www.myradiostore.us/bundles/c...-vais-slx.html

Add the item to the cart and it asked if I wanted to add the XMD1000 for $9.99 more... of course! Cheapest I found anywhere. Shipped 2nd day UPS for $25.00. Still saved money over the OEM and got at least the 16 char display.

John

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I know the XM radio option is available through the dealer as an install, but isn't it also available off the factory production line? Is there a difference in the antenna mounting between the two sources? I know there is an order code for it.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jwhagen
    http://www.myradiostore.us/bundles/c...-vais-slx.html

Add the item to the cart and it asked if I wanted to add the XMD1000 for $9.99 more... of course! Cheapest I found anywhere. Shipped 2nd day UPS for $25.00. Still saved money over the OEM and got at least the 16 char display.

John
    Let us know if this is a seamless type integration with the oem headunit.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I have the system installed and operational. It was a seamless install, no issues. The antenna is mounted inside of the third brakelight (back window) and works great. But... I only get the 10 character display on the NAV unit. It really stinks! I think this is pretty pathetic of Toyota's engineering to limit the display like this. As an engineer myself, I try not to place restrictions on systems and this is one that really stands out.

I sure hope Toyota hears the complaints and provides some sort of firmware upgrade to give us more information.

Other than that, works GREAT!

John

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

John, I have an 06 Avalon 6 CD changer. I intend to order an SLX and was glad to read that it's an easy install. How does the dash surround at the radio come off? I don't care to try to pry it loose if it is secured some other way. Thanks for any light you can shed on installation. Walker

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hi Walker,

I ran across these dash trim removal instructions while looking for a mounting bracket for my Sirius S50; maybe they can help. It's in PDF format so you'll need Adobe's Acrobat Reader to view it.

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/MV-50-03-L-p25.pdf

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I had a local audio shop do the install. Personally I have reached the point in my life where it is less frustrating to pay someone than to try and do it mysellf. I know they used trim removal tools, but I don't know what specifically.

I also see that Best Buy does installs for about $75. Might be a good way to go. I paid $245 for the XM install and a cell phone install(Pro-Fit). I live 50 miles from nowhere so I didn't make a trip to Best Buy.

John

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jwhagen View Post
    I just took possession of my 2006 Limited and love it. It has the JBL system in it and is supposedly satellite ready. I would like to install an XM system. Can anyone provide information on what I need? I see the Sirius system mentioned, but nothing on XM. Part numbers, prices, supplier, anything you can provide would be great, Thanks!

John Hagen
    John - I, too, want to install an XM radio in my Avalon, Limited and I, too, have a JBL system. But I'm getting different answers as to where the antenna is to be installed. One dealer insists it has to be mounted on the trunk lid, the other says it can be installed in the car under the back window behind the third brake light. I'm afraid the one on the trunk would look like an ugly mole and also afraid the one installed inside the car would not get a proper signal. I have written to XM Radio but have not heard yet. Please let me know if you find out anything.
    Thanks,
    Richard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.