Rear door full of rain water?!!

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Rear door full of rain water?!!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Rear door full of rain water?!!

HI,
    My 99 Avalon XLS Platinum Edition all of a sudden had water in the rear driver's side door. The inside of the car is dry. There was a lot of rain lately, but I have never had water inside the door body before. I pulled the rubber trim at the bottom to drain it.

Has anyone ever had this happen? All of the trim and window seals look fine.
    Any solutions? Is this a common problem with the Avalons?

Thanks,
    Karl

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    12 times

Default Re: Rear door full of (rain)water?!!

unclogg the drain holes. yspert
    Graduated from Y to Z status. I only work for "likes"!

Liked
    0 times

correct about unplugging the drain holes, water needs to flow there to escape. Foliage residue tends to get trapped in there if you are near trees. A tip if you have a sunroof, as well, you might check and clean the drainholes around the perimeter of the open sunroof. They need to drain, too, and if you're getting some residue in the door it may well be around the sunroof drains.
    Jim
    '06 Avalon Limited
    '06 Lexus RX 400h

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks. I'll check them. It makes sense now, I spent a month away from home. I temporarily parked my car in a different location (under a tree). I guess thats how it got clogged.

Can they be unclogged from the outside? (without taking off the inside trim panel)

Thanks again,
    Karl

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by karlkaminski
    Thanks. I'll check them. It makes sense now, I spent a month away from home. I temporarily parked my car in a different location (under a tree). I guess thats how it got clogged.

Can they be unclogged from the outside? (without taking off the inside trim panel)

Thanks again,
    Karl
    You should be able to see the holes from the bottom of the doors. You might be able to clean them out from there but if the door isn't really cleaned out from the inside, the same crud might just plug the hole again. You might try it from the outside, but if it plugs again, you will have to pull the interior panel and really clean it out.

Phil
    05 White TRD D-Cab, SR5, Limited slip, 20" TRD Enkei's with BFGoodrich G-Force TA NT, All weather guard package, factory rear privacy glass with matching front door tint, Toyota bedliner plus bed mat, Toyota/A.R.E. color keyed tonneau cover, overhead console with temp, compass and Homelink, Toyota/Gentex electrochromatic mirror, keyless, mats, TRD aluminum front skidplate, Toyota/Bazooka VSE 100 watt self-powered subwoofer, TRD stainless exhaust tip, door sill guards, Custom TRD matched pin striping with Toyota logos, painted calipers with TRD letters, TRD billet aluminum third brake light cover with true TRD letters, Pioneer AVIC D-3 GPS head unit with IP Buss controlled Pioneer XM radio tuner and iPod interface, Pac remote(maintains steering wheel controls) Polk Audio speakers DB675 two way in rear, Polk DB6750 components in front powered by a Polk C400.4 4 channel amp, seperate amped Aura Pro Bass Shakers under each front seat, Bazooka EL series 8" 100 watt self-powered subwoofer with Polk Momo driver with quick disconnect, Memphis tweeters in rear, back-up sensors (very handy), foglight mod, Sylvania Silverstars in both head and fog lights, added rear halogen back-up lighting, BellTech 6700 1" lowering shackles, Hellwig anti-sway bar, Magnaflow 14586 Stainless muffler, Wheelskins two-tone leather steering wheel cover, Ventvisors for side and rear windows, custom lower grill insert, Hoppy tailgate spring. More to come!

Very funny Scotty, now beam up my clothes!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Question Re: Rear door full of (rain)water?!!

98 Av with water in rear doors too - Can anyone tell me how to remove interior door panel so I can clean it out? Thanks!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Rear door full of rain water?!!

I know this thread is old but I have the same issue with the rear driver's side door; full of water. Clearing the drain holes is the obvious answer but where the drain holes are located is not. Of course I expect them to be at the bottom of the door, duh, but I sure couldn't find them. Where are they?
    Also, why the same door? Coinsidence? Or is there an issue with the rear driver's side door?

Liked
    9 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jmell44 View Post
    I know this thread is old but I have the same issue with the rear driver's side door; full of water. Clearing the drain holes is the obvious answer but where the drain holes are located is not. Of course I expect them to be at the bottom of the door, duh, but I sure couldn't find them. Where are they?
    Also, why the same door? Coinsidence? Or is there an issue with the rear driver's side door?
    Each one of the doors will have drain holes located to the outside of the last exterior door frame seal so the water trapped drains to the exterior of the car body. They may be round, rectangular or louver shaped but they'll always be at the lowest inside area of the doors seen when opened. Hope this helps you find them.

Larry
    2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, Michelin 265/65/R17 LTX-AT2's, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Multi-Vex adaptive outside mirrors, Eclipse AVN5510 Nav unit and Sirius SIR-ECL1 tuner, as of 10/07 pictures in my photo gallery

2003 Camry SE V6 Navigation, Sirius, Lunar Mist
    Optima 34R battery

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
    If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

Turn signals are meant to indicate intent not result.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Our old '99 did the same thing. I think it's more a design flaw than clogged drain holes. As soon as we would open a door, it took a big leak on the ground.

Open the door & pull back the weather stripping along the bottom & you'll see small square holes just above the seam. I think there were 3 of them.

HTH

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

its not a design flaw

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERDIAGNOSISTECH View Post
    its not a design flaw
    Why is it just the driver's side rear door? I've read and heard of only that door having the issue with rain water. Logic would suggest the passenger side would be subject to more debris (curbside tree leaves and such).

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Why is it just the driver's side rear door? I've read and heard of only that door having the issue with rain water. Logic would suggest the passenger side would be subject to more debris (curbside tree leaves and such).
    Something wrong with the design. Our car did it from day one with 12 miles on the odometer & not a tree in sight. The passenger side did it, but a lot less than the driver's side. I think I drained the passenger side 2 or 3 times & the driver's side after every rain.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I took a drill with a 1/4" bit and popped a hole to the bottom of each of the four doors. That was 4 years ago.
    Haven't had a problem since.
    YMMV

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

I pulled the bottom weather stripping/ trim sightly away from the door and inserted a piece of plastic zip tie strip in between the trim and door as a spacer and now the water always drain.