Toyota Tundra Forums banner

spacer lift roll call and question

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ottis 
#1 ·
just looking to see who all has a spacer lift and who loves it. Also wondering who has had problems with their CV boot seperating on them. just wondering to get an idea if i should replace my OEM clamp with the hose clamp. thanks in advance guys, i am really happy to be on a forum that doesnt have a big group of douchbags that make fun of you for not knowing things.

#2 ·
i had the toytec 2.5" spacer at one time and also the toytec differential drop. never had a problem with cv's while the diff drop was installed. just be sure to get the diff drop.

#3 ·
had a 3" front spacer and 1.5 AAL kit w/diff drop from toyotec. after about 1.5 years, i took off the top spacer because the rear AAL settled and the front seems to sit higher then the back so i took the top spacer off. so far i have been happy with my setup. i have had no problems with my cv's splitting. all i did was put some hose clamps OVER the stock ones. so far so good. if i had to do it all over again, i would probably go with the 5100's. but not bad for a inexpensive lift kit, paid 223 shipped and installed myself.

#5 ·
I started with the toytec 3" lift and didn't like it cause of the violent rebound everytime you go over a bump. Got the 5100's and liked them much better. Reason is you get a much better shock than stock that keeps the coil from rebounding so quickly. My inner cv boots immediately started leaking grease so I cleaned them up and replaced the original strap clamp with a crimp style one like is on the outer boots. Have had no leaks or tears since. With that lift your boot is at MAXIUM ANGLE! You will probably eventually have a tear. I know this sounds goofy but every couple of weeks or so I get underneath and put a good coating of bearing grease along the inside of the ONE inner boot fin that is at the extreme angle and just barely touches every time around. This seems to have kept the rubber from wearing out and like I said I have had no issues.
Just keep in mind that anytime you change your stock suspension geometry your 90% of the time going to run into some sort of B.S. that you have to deal with in the long run.
In a perfect world I'd get the ORS manual hub kit and stop the whole front end from spinning utill your off road.

Good luck

#7 ·
The diff drop is a highly disputed subject on this forum. Some guys say it doesnt work at all, some love it. My take is it makes a slight bit of difference and releaves a couple of degrees off of your cv joints. All the diff drop does is tilt your front diff. a few degrees. The two crummy aluminium spacers just lower the two front mounting brackets. I have it on my rig, (2005 Tundra DC), and it did make a slight difference, (for the better), in the angle of the cv's.
Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.