Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Bed Rust Recall??

43K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  Bizon_CZ 
#1 ·
I know many of you are having the same problem with the bed rusting from below where the x-members are spot welded. Toyota is well aware of this problem. When I had my frame replaced, the service manager asked me to come back so they could get pictures. He said Toyota corporate is "watching" the problem and 2 mechanics at the dealer have the same issue.

Mine is a 2000 with 255000 miles on it. Yes I'm in MN and it's old and high miles. But....... I have zero rust anywhere else on the truck. It gets constant underside washes in the winter, has been "Herculined" and hase been covered with tonneau all its life.

I am NOT looking for anyone who does not have this issue to chime in (as in other threads on this issue) with: maybe it was in an accident, should have washed it more, bed was replaced with aftermarket, ..........etc. This is a known defect. What I would like to see is members with this issue to post pics (I'll have mine up soon). If we do that, and all of us call Toyota, they may be motivated to at least handle it on a case by case basis. The voice of many will be heard.

Toyota issues many "double secret" recalls; which if you complain enough, the vehicle is fixed. The prime example is the front brake rotor warping on 2000-2003 Tundras & Sequoias. Ask the service manager:

Hey are there any TSB's on my truck?

Ran the VIN and nothing comes up.

What about the front rotors that keep warping and vibrating?

Hmm, I haven't heard anything about that.

My understanding is the rotors and calipers were undersized causing overheating/warping and Toyota is replacing them with bigger ones.

Boy that doesn't ring a bell.

What about TSB BR004-002?

Ohhhhh, that one. Let's get you scheduled for a brake upgrade.

So guys (and gals), let's escalate this!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have rust over the wheel wells...and some underneath, although I do not think the bed has been perforated yet. I like the logic, though. That bed sat in contact with that frame...I would think that it's gonna rust just as bad.

#3 ·
My bed is rusting through on both sides between each wheel wells, and I have two small ones that haven't rust through yet.

I will monitor this.

#4 ·
i have a '00 with 233k. ive had my frame replaced. i put on herculiner on my truck way way back in it's early life. the liner is holding well but u can definately see that porforation type rust is trying to blister thru the herculiner, evident bcuz of the bulges.

#5 ·
Mine is a 2000 with 255000 miles on it. Yes I'm in MN and it's old and high miles. But....... I have zero rust anywhere else on the truck. It gets constant underside washes in the winter, has been "Herculined" and hase been covered with tonneau all its life.

I am NOT looking for anyone who does not have this issue to chime in (as in other threads on this issue) with: maybe it was in an accident, should have washed it more, bed was replaced with aftermarket, ..........etc. This is a known defect. What I would like to see is members with this issue to post pics (I'll have mine up soon). If we do that, and all of us call Toyota, they may be motivated to at least handle it on a case by case basis. The voice of many will be heard.
I doubt it. You're in the rust belt and you have some rust on the bottom of the bed of an eleven year old truck. You'll find the same thing under the beds of any make of pickup truck. That particular construction technique is problematic, unfortunately, as the two pieces of sheet metal around the spot weld provide an ideal environment for corrosion. But this is not the same as a rusted out frame, which is a safety problem.

Your best bet - I may do this on my '03 - is to take the bed off, have the corroded areas sand-blasted and then paint immediately with an appropriate coating.

#6 ·
I doubt it. You're in the rust belt and you have some rust on the bottom of the bed of an eleven year old truck. You'll find the same thing under the beds of any make of pickup truck. That particular construction technique is problematic, unfortunately, as the two pieces of sheet metal around the spot weld provide an ideal environment for corrosion. But this is not the same as a rusted out frame, which is a safety problem.

Your best bet - I may do this on my '03 - is to take the bed off, have the corroded areas sand-blasted and then paint immediately with an appropriate coating.
I agree, it's not a safety issue, so no liability on their behalf. I plan to wait till they pull the bed for the frame coating procedure. A couple places told me they drill out the corroded torx bed bolts and replace them.

At that point in time, I'll probably remove the bed, cut out the bad sections and weld in some new metal and paint it. Bedliner is going over it, so who cares how it looks.

#7 ·
Same problem here. I keep my '02 looking immaculate. When I brought it in for the spare tire holder inspection the service manager told me the truck looked better than some 2008's that come through there, yet the bed still has rust where you described.

I brought it to a local body shop that I use when I need it and they told me to do it right they would have to cut out the entire bottom of the bed and replace it. They also said it would be cheaper to buy a replacement bed if I could find one. I asked about the cutting out and patching idea and they said it would just put off the inevitable. I scraped it with a wire brush and took an angle grinder to it with a sanding wheel and patched some with bondo and repainted. That was a couple of years ago and it's held up pretty good for now.

John

#8 ·
We're not talking about just surface rust here. Blister rust r signs of porforation. Mine has it next to the wheel well, the floor of the bed n on the bed screw area. Just a matter of time b4 my bed flies off n pegs someone behind me. Pray its not one of u who think its not a safety issue.

#9 ·
We're not talking about just surface rust here. Blister rust r signs of porforation. Mine has it next to the wheel well, the floor of the bed n on the bed screw area. Just a matter of time b4 my bed flies off n pegs someone behind me. Pray its not one of u who think its not a safety issue.
My brother works in Ghana. The roads there are generally in a terrible state. The Ghanaians know who's responsible for this. The British, who didn't build the roads right before they left Ghana for good, fifty four years ago.

#10 ·
As I said in the first post, I'm not looking for reponses like "you are in the rust belt, it's going to happen". No it shouldn't have to. I will post pictures of the underside of the bed and cab. CLEAN, no rust, except where the cross memeber spot welds are. My friends' Chevys and Fords are not doing this; other areas yes, but the structural welds are fine.

How is it not a safety issue? The bed's structural supports are deteriorating, as well as the attachment points. Would you want to be behind me when the bed eventually blows off or a load of concrete blocks falls through because the cross members are no longer supporting? The comment is irelevant, since Toyota is finding it intersting enough to document and follow the issue. They obviously see a potential problem.

Please post pictures, and Toyota can be directed to this thread.

Here's my rustbelt truck:

And here's the bed rusting. Notice how there is NO rust where the bedliner scraped off from loading building materials:

TOYOTA ARE YOU LISTENING??

#11 ·
How is it not a safety issue? The bed's structural supports are deteriorating, as well as the attachment points. Would you want to be behind me when the bed eventually blows off or a load of concrete blocks falls through because the cross members are no longer supporting?
You have a high mileage, eleven year old truck. You're in the rust belt and you're what, four years and at least 100,000 miles beyond the limit of the corrosion warranty? You know the truck is not in a roadworthy condition and you're still driving it. And if someone is injured that will be Toyota's fault?

#12 ·
It would be a safety issue if the bed completely let go. Realistically though, it'll be one or two bolts at a time. Knowing Toyota, they'd probably state it was your lack of responsibility for not taking care of the issue when the first bolts broke away just to be a jerk about it and avoid liability. I agree that they should step up and take care of the issue, but I don't think their lawyers would agree. JMHO

#14 ·
I'll add it to my NHTSA complaint that I'm doing for the steering column shifter breaking away from the steering column. Complained to Toyota about that today; as expected, they won't help out unless an accident occurs since they'd be liable.

#16 ·
Did Toyota step up their rust proofing at some point in the Gen 1 trucks? I see no major rust in any areas of my '06 and I'm really hoping it never occurs!

-Wes
Not that I'm aware, but your fine unless you decide to move to the rust belt or maybe Galveston, TX near the salt water. If you ever do, you have several options to protect your frame (i.e. POR-15, bar & chain oil, or I believe Fluid Film).

#17 ·
Not that I'm aware, but your fine unless you decide to move to the rust belt or maybe Galveston, TX near the salt water. If you ever do, you have several options to protect your frame (i.e. POR-15, bar & chain oil, or I believe Fluid Film).
Well that's not good..... I live in Portland, TX which is right on the water!

Thanks,

Wes

#19 ·
2000 Tundra Limited garage kept factory drop in bed liner, bed cover since almost new. Stopped by my local Toyota dealer today to ask about TSBs on this issue. Showed the "nice" man the rust, and he said "and "with a very blank look on his face. No apology, no offer to talk to the manager, no help. So the next step is to contact Toyota directly, the # is on the web site. Ill post later

#21 ·
Good deal LED!! I already have a case number. Just bumping this as there is a lot of discussion in the frame rust recall about the bed. If ppl just report the issue to Toyota it may result in some action. They are interested in it and asked me to come back after my frame replacement so they could get pictures.

Service manager said me and 2 of their mechanics have the same issue. Toyota is watching it closely!

#22 ·
Took my 2000 in for frame inspection today,after about 20 minutes they came back and said it failed and frame will be replaced.Problem is my bed is so rusty I think it may fall apart when mounting bolts are removed,it has several large holes in it and bad rust around all of the bolts.Truck just hit 144000 miles ,it is a daily driver only and has been well maintained.

#23 ·
Just had my frame replaced a couple of months ago and everything went smooth. I have mine Rhino lined so today i was going to cover up the bed bolts they had to cut out with some herculiner. I noticed the rhino lining had started to lift around the bolts so i started peeling back what i could to put the new herculiner down. I ended up opening a can of worms. Bed is completely rotted out around the bolts and cross members, 2 inch hols in some spots. Taking the truck in tomorrow to see what can be done. Automotive exterior Wood
Vehicle door Automotive exterior

#24 ·
yea mine is pretty ugly too: Floor Metal Wood Flooring Steel
Pest Insect Membrane-winged insect

found this after i had my frame replaced. i pulled the liner for the first time and was like WTH. once they go all the way through ill be welding new pieces of steel into the areas and painting and undercoating them.

#25 ·
Are you guy's just taking your trucks to Toyota for frame testing? Is toyota doing that for free? I took my truck in when the alert came out about the spare tire falling off and they told me nothing was wrong.

#26 ·
So glad I came across this thread. I'm hoping that my truck is getting a new frame next week. I may ask that they allow me to pressure wash and coat the underside of the bed with undercoat or something while its off. Mine has a drop in bed liner but I pull it and wash it out a few times a summer and mine look fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.