Tundra frame rust recall??? - Page 131

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 131 of 142 FirstFirst ... 121126127128129130131132133134135136141 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 2123
Like Tree302Likes

Thread: Tundra frame rust recall???

Cur
    Rookie
    Liked
    8 times

Default Re: Tundra frame rust recall???

Quote Originally Posted by jack mccarthy View Post
    Bring it by one of the Lou's Custom Exhaust shops and get a quote. I'd recommend going with stainless steel if you plan to keep the truck and drive it regularly instead of aluminized steel. You may or may not have to supply them with a bung to mount the downstream O2 sensor. If they do have them, they'll only be regular steel. You'd have to buy a $20 stainless steel one if you plan to keep it all stainless.

If it's only a small section of the pipe with the holes, they should be able to fix it pretty easily, especially if it's just a straight pipe where they don't have to make custom bends.
    The North Reading shop is about 5 minutes from where I work, I'll swing by there. Thanks for the tip!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    5 times

If this is the conversation you guys were referencing, then be careful when the word RECALL is used. It seems like some confusion on the part of the service representative since anything called a recall is for the life of the vehicle, which is currently for the crossmember in the back. The frame rust is a service campaign and NOT a recall. It may be true that they plan to extend it, but there's nothing documenting it for now.

It's 2000-2003 for the service campaign, here's a copy of the letter...
    Hello Jack - I am having a bit of an issue right now w/a RI Toyota dealer and my frame recall. They basically went through the process, ordered the frame, received it and was about to dismantle my 2000 Tundra, then stopped because they claim the 'recall' has expired (more like the limited service campaign). I swore I received something that took this into 2013, yet now cannot locate it. By any chance, can you share your experience/copy of letter so I can try to get them to continue with the new frame?
    They even walked me through the parts removed, damaged, etc and demonstrated some pretty severe perforation in the front 1/3rd of the frame. Walkin' on shells, for the frame clearly has issues, nothing a CRC coating or even partial repair would resolve.
    Thanks!
    Tim

Liked
    701 times
    Images

If the process was started, frame ordered, and especially if you signed anything before 12/31/12, then they should be obligated to do the replacement....If you didnt sign anything before then, you may be SOL.
    sg1efc likes this.

Senior Contributor jack mccarthy's Avatar
    Liked
    868 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2000ToyTun View Post
    Hello Jack - I am having a bit of an issue right now w/a RI Toyota dealer and my frame recall. They basically went through the process, ordered the frame, received it and was about to dismantle my 2000 Tundra, then stopped because they claim the 'recall' has expired (more like the limited service campaign). I swore I received something that took this into 2013, yet now cannot locate it. By any chance, can you share your experience/copy of letter so I can try to get them to continue with the new frame?
    They even walked me through the parts removed, damaged, etc and demonstrated some pretty severe perforation in the front 1/3rd of the frame. Walkin' on shells, for the frame clearly has issues, nothing a CRC coating or even partial repair would resolve.
    Thanks!
    Tim
    Truthfully Tim, I've got nothing for you. I haven't received an extension letter; most likely since I got the CRC undercoating done a week before the end of the year to complete the work for me. The letter was specific that the work was to be completed by the end of the year and I confirmed it with Toyota corporate. I was actually surprised to hear that some people were still getting the work completed after it was started even if it began before December 31st. I thought Toyota woudn't pay out until the job was complete and finished by years end, so I'm at a loss for words.

I would try corporate and see if they can extend it for you otherwise, you might have to find a lawyer to assist you since you're clearly driving an unsafe frame that may not even pass inspection and they've obviously implemented the "campaign" to help avoid the possibility of a future recall if someone got hurt due to a injury caused by a weakened/broken frame.
    sg1efc likes this.
    "My luck is so bad that even my guardian angel committed suicide...How's that even possible?"

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

Rookie
    Liked
    5 times

Thanks. I am working with Corp, have a case # and the fun starts! I kick myself five ways 'till Tuesday to not have gotten this thing in by 12/31, I was under the impression that this was covered 15 yrs from production and that if Toyota had a failed frame and a stated recall for said issue, they would make it right. Dealer was confused as well as evidenced by their ordering of the frame and starting the whole process.
    sg1efc likes this.

Liked
    701 times
    Images

Unfortunately, the 15yr warranty extension was only for the 95.5-00 Tacomas, NOT the Tundras. I gotta figure Toyota musta lost between $2 billion and $4 billion dollars on THAT recall ALONE. They probably didnt want to go thru that again, so they probably put a much shorter time limit on the Tundra SSC.

Like I said, if they had you sign anything before 12/31, push that. If not, just do the best you can.
    Last edited by Stone_Blue; 02-14-2013 at 07:17 AM.
    sg1efc likes this.

Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by BraneDead View Post
    Just an upate...
    I took the truck to the dealer for one last inspection before the end of the year, and they failed the frame because of that spot in the first pic. New frame is on order. The only loaner the dealer could offer was a Chevy Equinox, so I took it for now. What a strange little vehicle this is! Unfortunately, I need a truck, and can't be without one for several weeks. Does anyone know what Toyota's official stance is in these situations? If I demand a truck, will they give me one, or am I stuck with this station wagon in disquise?
    Okay, so my dealership finished the frame replacement at the end of January, everything seemed great. All new frame, lower control arms, fuel lines, etc. Then a few days ago, I crawled under my truck and notice a dreaded broken leaf spring. On top of that, I also noticed that the nuts securing the U-bolts are still the original rusty nuts, even though they were supposed to be replaced according to the procedure manual. This tells me that the dealer unbolted the leaf springs from the frame, and moved the entire diff assemblt, leafs attached, to the new frame. Now my dealer is telling me that the leaf springs will not be covered under the recall. Does this sound legit? My feeling is most of my front suspension was broken and replaced, so why not the rear? ... especially since they obviously took a shorcut on reinstalling that part.
    sg1efc likes this.

Liked
    32 times
    Images

2-4 billion? Whoa....

My dealer told me they moved on to Tundra's sister truck, Sequoia , same frames.
    sg1efc likes this.

Senior Contributor jack mccarthy's Avatar
    Liked
    868 times
    Images

I'm surprised they haven't moved up to the 04-06 frames yet. I haven't heard that the frames were constructed different.

Branedead, your dealer should be responsible for covering the broken leaf spring. You should definitely complain to the customer relations representative at the dealership and bring it up with corporate if they're not helpful.
    BraneDead and sg1efc like this.
    "My luck is so bad that even my guardian angel committed suicide...How's that even possible?"

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

Liked
    701 times
    Images

I've heard a lot of 01-04 Tacoma owners complaining about their frames also....Not sure if they ever got anything done about theirs.

Yeah, Toyota took a BIG hit on the 1st gen Tacos. There were 875,000 Tacos possibly affected by the frame issue. I guess Toyota decided it would actually be cheaper to buy back any failed vehicle, rather than to replace the frames. There was no replacement option, either you sold the vehicle back to Toyota, or you got nothing.

So, Toyota considers 20 cold weather states out of the 50. Figure if sales across the states were even, then 20 states would equal 40% of all sales of the 875,000, or 350,000 vehicles.
    Figure if just half of those 350k vehicles in cold weather states were bought back, at a lowball estimate of $10k, (I got $12.6k for my 99, and it would have been $14.5k if I had turned it in when the recall first came out), thats 175,000 vehicles x $10k, or $1,750,000 (1 3/4 billion dollars)....Then figure all the administrative fees, the labor for the inspections, legal fees, then the cost of having EVERY Taco shipped to one or a few locations around the country for scrapping (I had heard they all went to somewhere in the upper Midwest)....

Yeah, easily $2 Billion dollars or more for that ONE recall....
    I wouldnt be surprised if the Tundra frame replacements didnt cost another $1 billion or close...They charge around $4500 just for a Tundra frame alone, plus another few hundred or more for the parts kits (non-reusable parts and hardware) that is SUPPOSED to be replaced with the frame...then paying the dealerships, what, 40hrs of labor for the replacement at dealership rates of $100/hr, theres another $4000....So close to $9k-$10k for each Tundra frame replacement?....

So yeah, I gotta say, even though lots of people seem to have problems getting their frames done, or the quality of the replacement, (most of which I think is due to the individual dealerships raping consumers), AND the fact that Toyota is just covering its butt from litigation, I think they HAVE stepped up and backed up their products pretty darn good. (I mean, can you imagine any of the Big 3 buying back vehicles at 1.5 times excellent KBB, or doing complete, free frame replacements on 15yr old trucks for RUST???....HA!!..Never happen...)

Whether they can continue to do so, after such big losses in the past several years remains to be seen, I think...
    sg1efc likes this.

Liked
    32 times
    Images

Yeah you are probably correct on costs its just hard to fathom mentally. Toyota got money for your truck for parts and scrap count on it. I'm quite sure not 12.6k but surely a few G's. The engines and plenty of other parts are salvagable. Some offset costs for sure.

Big 3 have the same issues. I've looked under a few big 3 trucks older models all are rust buckets. They would send you a gas card for 50.00 , once you use it , they would declare that final compensation.

The dealers are making plenty on these recalls also by replacing parts that are NOT part of the recall. I had work done , why not , its only labor costs the truck at 10-11yrs old needed shocks anyway and new sway bar end links and sway bar bushings also had my e-brake cable freed up. Timing belts done , new water pump etc... Cost me another 700. total.

The cost to Toyota is huge mostly trying to fix their reliability reputation , but worth it to them obviously. I remember reading yrs back they had 30b for R&D and a huge new facility for that purpose alone. Toyota is a wealthy company. Not sure where they stand today but sales are really good again #1 iirc.
    sg1efc likes this.

Liked
    6 times

I'm surprised they haven't moved up to the 04-06 frames yet. I haven't heard that the frames were constructed different.

Branedead, your dealer should be responsible for covering the broken leaf spring. You should definitely complain to the customer relations representative at the dealership and bring it up with corporate if they're not helpful.
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking. If they had seen the broken leaf before it left the dealership, they would have replaced it for sure. Problem is, I took it home and then noticed it a couple days later. I have an open case with Toyota corporate, should hear from them today. Meanwhile, I'm in another loaner because the dealer wasn't sure what they wanted to do when I brought the truck back. Today is the last day they are funding the loaner, so I guess I will pickup my truck, refuse any additional work til I hear from corporate, and IF they went ahead and replaced those 8 nuts that they skipped the first time (and I assume they did), I'm going to demand paperwork showing that they completed the recall work today (after the truck was initially picked up). Am I missing anything?
    sg1efc likes this.

Liked
    701 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kaosv1 View Post
    Toyota got money for your truck for parts and scrap count on it. I'm quite sure not 12.6k but surely a few G's. The engines and plenty of other parts are salvagable. Some offset costs for sure.
    You are correct, but I doubt a few G's per vehicle, even with high steel prices. And, no, nothing is salvaged (or supposed to be), except for raw materials. I think that was one reason why Toyota went with only one (possibly a few more) scrapyards. NONE of the parts from the bought back Tacos are/were supposed to be re-sold. EVERY one of them is/was supposed to be sent to the crusher, COMPLETE.
    I'm guessing the reasoning was, they want to get these trucks off the roads....Flooding the used-parts market with replacement parts, would only prolong more of these trucks staying on the roads.
    But then, that also means Toyota might make more money on OEM parts for the remaining trucks. But then again, if people have less choices to get cheap replacement parts and arent willing to spend the $$ Toyota wants for parts, they will be more likely to scrap their remaining Taco....
    So, yes, you are correct, basically a win-win for Toyota (other than the hit to their reputation), and yeah, I'm sure they have been able to recoup SOME costs, but I'm sure not NEARLY enough to cover the costs of that recall.
    sg1efc likes this.

Liked
    6 times

Talked to Toyota Coporate. I spoke with Nicole, explained that the procedures for installation were not followed, and that my springs were damaged as a result. She called the dealership, dealership told her that they did assremble this truck correctly, no matter what I said, or what pictures I had. Then she told me that they had to side with the dealer and Toyota would not support my claim any further. WTF.
    sg1efc likes this.

Liked
    40 times

Quote Originally Posted by BraneDead View Post
    Talked to Toyota Coporate. I spoke with Nicole, explained that the procedures for installation were not followed, and that my springs were damaged as a result. She called the dealership, dealership told her that they did assremble this truck correctly, no matter what I said, or what pictures I had. Then she told me that they had to side with the dealer and Toyota would not support my claim any further. WTF.
    You can contact the Better Business Bureau, NHTSA and the Maryland Consumer Protection Division at these links to file complaints if Toyota will not help resolve safety issues:

United States and Canada BBB Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Complaints and Accredited Business Listings

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Maryland Attorney General - Consumer Protection Division

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-19-2013, 05:44 PM
  2. 06-18-2013, 08:33 AM
  3. 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM
  4. 04-16-2013, 08:53 AM
  5. 03-17-2013, 03:08 PM
  6. 01-27-2013, 10:29 AM
  7. 01-27-2013, 10:21 AM
  8. 10-21-2012, 02:07 AM
  9. 07-29-2012, 08:07 PM