Tundra frame rust recall??? - Page 6

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 144 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree322Likes

Thread: Tundra frame rust recall???

Liked
    20 times
    Images

Default Re: Tundra frame rust recall???

boy I'm invisioning a greatly expanded market for Line-X!!! I mean you put Line-X in the bed to protect against scratches and rust and yet your frame takes more abuse and has a thin paint layer on it .......make's one wonder how much just a aftermarket frame job would be??? most would be for labor in disassembly (of course if I were Line-X marketing I'd be looking at getting into the manufacturing floor and spraying before the truck is built (win-win for both parties!)
    Pistol Pete
    "I don't want to change the world I just want to leave it colder"

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4 (7844A), Phantom Grey Pearl, All weather guard package, fog lamps,keyless entry, 17" AA wheels, towing package, color-keyed overfenders, 4.1mm Limited Slip Diffy, Delux 3-in-1 JBL stereo, privacy glass, floor mats with sill protectors, bed extender

MODS- BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM's (255/75R17), 17" KMC Venom 755 rims, Line-X, Retrax, Onki nerf boards (part #328078), Wade vent visors (part #88401) , TracRac (rail # OL-21609), Ultimate Fly Fishing Rod transporter, Spin Caster Rod holder in bed, Recon bedlights fully adjustable w/"nightvision", HitchSafe, Weathertech floor liners (part #46030-1&2, grey), debadged, visors destickered, rear window stop disabled, dynolock/PL8500 power tailgate lock, tailgate protector mod with detachable floormat, Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Air horn (300Hz), quick fist flashlight holder (all in photo gallery).....more custom suprises on the way!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
    boy I'm invisioning a greatly expanded market for Line-X!!! I mean you put Line-X in the bed to protect against scratches and rust and yet your frame takes more abuse and has a thin paint layer on it .......make's one wonder how much just a aftermarket frame job would be??? most would be for labor in disassembly (of course if I were Line-X marketing I'd be looking at getting into the manufacturing floor and spraying before the truck is built (win-win for both parties!)
    Or we can remove the bed and get the frame spray with lineX, I wonder if anybody has done that.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I just came across a local 2000 tundra TRD for $4,995 with that black undercoat spray can garbage all over it. I got underneath that truck today and man it really bad. The salesman wasn't there other wise I would have gotten the mileage on it. I'll drop by sometime next week and take some more detailed pictures of it.

pictures were taken with an I-phone.
    Last edited by Tundraman10; 02-20-2009 at 05:16 PM.
    2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4x4 Black
    Cardomain Member
    Sold the Tundra for $5,000 without the wheels 12/10/2011

Liked
    1 times

I posted this on another rust thread, has anyone ever heard of or better yet, known somebody who used one of these?

CounterAct Electronic Rust Protection System - Corrosion Control

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Any word on tundra "buy back" our 2000 now has a broken frame with holes:frustrating:.Irving toyota in laconia nh inspected took a bunch of photos and sugested we not drive it.Also that they would let toyota know but not to expect much. I thought I would see a rotten frame on my 82 fj60 (which has been rusty rapidly since it came from ca.) well before our "new" truck
    82 fj60
    00 tundra
    00 fuso
    81 300td wagon
    90 westfalia

Liked
    2341 times

Quote Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
    Naah, that would be too much like right.
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the frontand rear differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I am still in shock !!!:shocked:

Two days ago I lost my brakes on a downhill, luckily I was not traveling fast. We thought maybe it was just brake fluid but upon further inspection we saw the brake line was severed. We had the 2000 Tundra towed to our mechanic and they called and said the entire frame from the driver's seat to beyond the shocks was totally rusted and cracked ! They said it was not driveable. We went directly to this forum.......we had been following the Tacoma situation.
    The next day we called Toyota of Nashua (NH)where I purchased the truck 3 years ago and they said they could only help me if they could see the car, they are over 100 miles away. They also said they have only had one other Tundra in the shop with that problem.
    I called The Irwin Zone in Laconia NH and they offered to help, we took the truck down they took pictures and then the gave me a official inspection form to sign saying they were not responsible for me driving the vehicle off the lot. The form said the car is not to be driven.

Tech inspected and wrote this:
    "frame has a hole on frame at LT wheel area,also has crossmember separation at frame on LR and has caused damaged to the brake line. We strongly recommend vehicle not be driven, customer takes vehicle at own risk and responsability.
    #119848 Frame cracked and rusted bad. not safe to drive."

I also was given the same information from our local body shop. He said that the bad parts could be welded but he gives the car a year before we are chasing the problem again because the problem is starting on the passenger side. A temporary fix is between $800.00-1000.00.

Recent history...In September this car recently had spark plug replacement, air filter, front & rear differential fluid service, brake rotors, calipers, sway bar ,oxygen sensor totaling 1386.33. In January I had the front grills and hoods fixed because I hit a deer totally 2800.00 In February I has a battery,timing belt, water pump and new radiator put in totally $1513.85.

Now I ask myself why one of these compentent expensive mechanics did not see that my frame was rusted when they had it up on the lift several times. I am at a loss as to what step to take next????

The truck was in mint condition it is a beautiful green with a $1800.00 cap and only 111,000 miles with 6 month old tires. I still owe $4000.00 on my car loan. This is my third Toyota and I do/did love my truck but now I cannot drive it or sell it.

:cry:............seeking help and information, Michelle

Supporter
    Liked
    3 times

I too am in shock. This is the worst Tundra story I've heard. Any chance of taking & posting photos?

Based on some posts here, I doubt that Toyota is going to help you. Are you in a position to hire an attorney? I think if it were me, I'd do a few hours of internet research to find an attorney who specializes in class-action type cases (doubt you will find that in Maine, but you never know) and then be prepared to fight & wait it out.

My guess is that you will have to park the truck, continue paying, find another vehicle, and dig in for the long haul. The last thing I'd do is walk away from the truck though ... Toyota will be forced to address this problem .... Tundra's have just now been out 10 years, and this flaw is starting to show big time.

I live in Maine too, so I understand the climate & what they use on our roads here. Keep us posted on what your plans are .... or send me a PM if you have other thoughts or questions. Definately a frustrating situation ..... one that we have not heard the last case of I'm afraid ....

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I was just at Irwin Toyota ( NH) and spoke with Toyota of Nashua (NH)and they both said there was not going to be a recall. Please keep us posted if you here any tangible information.

Supporter
    Liked
    3 times

With all due respect, I doubt the dealer would KNOW if there was going to be a recall. You are going to have to fight this problem far above the dealer level. You've reported & they've doccumented .... you can forget the dealer now. This is a manufacturer problem.

Attorney time.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My 2000 Toyota Tundra.......labeled dangerous by Toyota as of Friday March 13th 2009. I am sending pictures of the rust on the right side first and then the left side which is worse. Toyota is saying there is nothing they will do, despite the fact they had me sign a waiver that does hold them responsible. Photos attached......I am looking for other Tundra owners who are experiencing the same problem . I own a beautiful 9 year old truck that I cannot drive because the frame is rusted and cracked. How can Toyota turned their head when the 2000 frame is so similar to the Tacoma's. I will be looking to file a class action suit tomorrow with a reputable lawyer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018.jpg 
Views:	627 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	40073   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	019.jpg 
Views:	728 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	40074   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	40075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	024.jpg 
Views:	806 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	40076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	026.jpg 
Views:	1000 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	40077  

bri
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by begonias View Post
    I am still in shock !!!:shocked:

Two days ago I lost my brakes on a downhill, luckily I was not traveling fast. We thought maybe it was just brake fluid but upon further inspection we saw the brake line was severed. We had the 2000 Tundra towed to our mechanic and they called and said the entire frame from the driver's seat to beyond the shocks was totally rusted and cracked ! They said it was not driveable. We went directly to this forum.......we had been following the Tacoma situation.
    The next day we called Toyota of Nashua (NH)where I purchased the truck 3 years ago and they said they could only help me if they could see the car, they are over 100 miles away. They also said they have only had one other Tundra in the shop with that problem.
    I called The Irwin Zone in Laconia NH and they offered to help, we took the truck down they took pictures and then the gave me a official inspection form to sign saying they were not responsible for me driving the vehicle off the lot. The form said the car is not to be driven.

Tech inspected and wrote this:
    "frame has a hole on frame at LT wheel area,also has crossmember separation at frame on LR and has caused damaged to the brake line. We strongly recommend vehicle not be driven, customer takes vehicle at own risk and responsability.
    #119848 Frame cracked and rusted bad. not safe to drive."

I also was given the same information from our local body shop. He said that the bad parts could be welded but he gives the car a year before we are chasing the problem again because the problem is starting on the passenger side. A temporary fix is between $800.00-1000.00.

Recent history...In September this car recently had spark plug replacement, air filter, front & rear differential fluid service, brake rotors, calipers, sway bar ,oxygen sensor totaling 1386.33. In January I had the front grills and hoods fixed because I hit a deer totally 2800.00 In February I has a battery,timing belt, water pump and new radiator put in totally $1513.85.

Now I ask myself why one of these compentent expensive mechanics did not see that my frame was rusted when they had it up on the lift several times. I am at a loss as to what step to take next????

The truck was in mint condition it is a beautiful green with a $1800.00 cap and only 111,000 miles with 6 month old tires. I still owe $4000.00 on my car loan. This is my third Toyota and I do/did love my truck but now I cannot drive it or sell it.

:cry:............seeking help and information, Michelle
    Rust causing a failure of the braking system is a serious safety problem. I strongly suggest you file a complaint with the NHTSA. If you have it in writing that Toyota indicates that rusting of the frame resulted in failure of the brake line, be sure and note that. If enough people file enough complaints, especially on safety related failures like brakes, it may eventually get investigated.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hello, I am the Service Manager at Irwin Toyota in Laconia, NH. I would like to clarify a few points made my the couple of posters about this concern and our dealership.

First of all, there currently is no program or recall on the Tundra frames. If you have a concern with your frame, you should contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331 and log your concern. We took pictures and viewed the above customer's vehicle as a courtesy, so she could tell Toyota that a Toyota dealer had viewed the frame and took pictures.

Second, the "competent technicians" that the customer referred to in the above post were NOT technicians from Irwin Toyota, but an independent the customer chose to have the work performed at. The way it was worded, it sounds like we had done the $1500 worth of work on the vehicle.

Third, the frame was cracked and the brake lines had had a sub-par repair done to them and we personally felt the customer should not drive the vehicle. We even recommended the customer have the vehicle towed here to have us look at it. Customer safety is always a number one priority here at Irwin's and the customer signed the waiver to acknowledge she was aware of the danger. In a world filled with lawsuits today, we have to do this on a daily basis when faced with these scenarios.

We pride ourselves in being honest and upfront with customers, we will not sell you any services you do not need and we won the President's Award for both manufacturers we have under our roof in 2007. The only dealership to win both in the same year with both manufacturers under one roof. We have all of our Toyota Technicians Master Certified.

Thank you for listening and we look forward to all of your Toyota service needs.
    Last edited by Toyota Service Mgr; 03-16-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Supporter
    Liked
    3 times

Clarification from Irwin's Service manager is most appreciated - and he did point out some things that needed clarification.

As I said, this issue is above any dealer. They did what they were requested to do - inspect & doccument.

I might take a few years, but Toyota will be forced to address thsi problem as these trucks age. Dig in & fight it out. 9 year old vehicles should not have rotten frames.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by alfaquad View Post
    In January of 09, my mechanic noticed my frame was very rusty. I knew I had some rusting under the bed over the rear axle. The mechanic started hitting a hammer on the reame and actually found a spot where the hammer went right through the frame. My mechanic was aware of the frame recall issue for Tacoma's and advise me to contact my dealer and inquire about Tundra's

I took the truck back to the dealer where the service manager took pictures and alledgedly sent them to Toyota. He told me to contact Cutomer Service and get a case number. After hearig nothing for over four weeks I called Customer Service back and was told there is no recall program for Tundra's

As I drove through the Toyota dealer's lot on Sunday I noted two rusty frames that were probably removed from Tacoma's.

Do we have enough people with similar concerns that would like to start a class action suit against Toyota?

I wrote a note about my 2000 Tundra on page 6...........I am looking for a lawyer and a class action suit. I have never sued anyone before , But Toyota leaves me no choice..........are you in?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-19-2013, 06:44 PM
  2. 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM
  3. 06-17-2013, 08:14 PM
  4. 04-16-2013, 09:53 AM
  5. 03-17-2013, 04:08 PM
  6. 01-27-2013, 11:29 AM
  7. 01-27-2013, 11:21 AM
  8. 10-21-2012, 03:07 AM
  9. 07-29-2012, 09:07 PM
  10. 05-26-2012, 11:50 AM
  11. 04-09-2012, 08:39 PM