Access cab window latch broken - Page 12

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Access cab window latch broken

Liked
    40 times
    Images

Default Re: Access cab window latch broken

installed mine today, took about 10 minutes. Not bad for 10 bucks. I like em. Besides both my old latches were broke so these do the job. Only concern is they may not lock quiteeee as tight so i will see if any water gets in or anything. I think I could shave down in a spot and make it latch tighter. We will see but overall I am pleased. Thanks man
    tundra3400 likes this.
    2003 Access cab step side / bilsteins all the way around / OME 886 springs / camburg UCA and uniballs / removed sway bar / toytec AAL in the rear with 2 inch blocks and hellwig 1250 helpers / toytec 3 degree shims / streetacos carrier bearing drop 2 1/4inch / Pro Comp alloys 16x8 and firestone destination all terrains 285/75/r16 / Alpine type R 12' sub and deck

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by yotabangin View Post
    installed mine today, took about 10 minutes. Not bad for 10 bucks. I like em. Besides both my old latches were broke so these do the job. Only concern is they may not lock quiteeee as tight so i will see if any water gets in or anything. I think I could shave down in a spot and make it latch tighter. We will see but overall I am pleased. Thanks man
    The black soft aluminum arm on the truck side of the entire latch assembly often gets bent outward slightly during installation. Open the window, and grab that arm with your hand and give it a couple of yanks inwards. It will snug the windows up and they will close tighter than before. Just don't over do it, it doesn't take much.
    tundra3400 likes this.

Liked
    40 times
    Images

sweet I will try that, thanks man.
    2003 Access cab step side / bilsteins all the way around / OME 886 springs / camburg UCA and uniballs / removed sway bar / toytec AAL in the rear with 2 inch blocks and hellwig 1250 helpers / toytec 3 degree shims / streetacos carrier bearing drop 2 1/4inch / Pro Comp alloys 16x8 and firestone destination all terrains 285/75/r16 / Alpine type R 12' sub and deck

Liked
    10 times

sweet I will try that, thanks man.
    Did that work for you?

Liked
    40 times
    Images

trucks getting a timing belt and water pump etc done right now.. got it back today and it was leaking at the thermostat housing... so will see what tmrw brings. Im not too worried about the windows tho, im sure they are fine
    tundra3400 likes this.

Liked
    10 times

trucks getting a timing belt and water pump etc done right now.. got it back today and it was leaking at the thermostat housing... so will see what tmrw brings. Im not too worried about the windows tho, im sure they are fine
    Sounds good. Let us all know in here when you snug them up. I'm curious on how they turn out.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    12 times

I installed mine this past weekend, they worked as advertised, no issues, though I think a hair tighter closure would be perfect. I did try to bend the base in a little to tighten things up, but I don't think that is the answer. Seller is honest and helpful and I'm happy with the product.

Liked
    5 times

Funny (not for me) story.
    Last year i was hunting in Wyoming with my brother, many miles off the beaten path.
    Last day ended up locking my keys in the truck. No spare set (big mistake).
    After pondering the situation, decided that breaking a rear window to access the cab was my best option.
    My brother had a 4 way lug wrench available. With much trepidation (my brother couldn't even watch), I hauled off and gave the rear window a massive hit.
    The wrench bounced off the glass. No breakage.
    It did however unlatch the window. I was able to reach through and saw the plastic latch open with a meat saw. A stick to push the lock release, and I was home free.
    Got home and replaced the cut latch with a stock Toyota unit.
    Leason learned? Spare keys are a good thing.
    tundra3400 likes this.
    2003 Tundra

Liked
    42 times

After one of my rear latches broke I did a search and came across this thread. I ended up buying two Billet Pivots from redruM69 (eBay name is dasherdeals) and fixing the broken one and some preventive maintenance on the other. Looking at his video and hearing the concerns with the windows not closing as tight as before I figured I would take the latches off of the truck to install the new pivots. It is very easy to do. The plastic trim pops off enough that you can remove two 10mm bolts. Then the Philips head screw on the window. Once on the work bench it is easy to push the pins out far enough to remove the old pivots and install the new ones. Once everything was installed the windows closed as snugly as before. I can see if you tried to do this job while the latch was on the truck it would be easy to bend something causing them not to close as tightly as before.

Many thanks redruM69 for a great and very fair priced product.

Last edited by MetroMan; 05-14-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    tundra3400 likes this.
    2001 Tundra SR5 AC Original Owner, 84K Miles

Mods; Tacoma TRD wheels with Michelin LTX MS2, Double Din Kenwood Nav Unit with Sirius, Power Antenna, Back-Up Camera, Parrot Bluetooth, Electronic Day/Night Mirror with Temperature & Compass, '04 Taillights, Steering Wheel Modified by CarsDream.com, BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam

2012 BMW 535I M-Sport 25K Miles
    2001 Porsche Boxster S Original Owner 24K Miles
    2007 Mini Cooper S 29K Miles
    1997 Porsche 993 Turbo - SOLD

Liked
    10 times

Hey guys, long time no talk!
    Since making these available, I have now sold over 10,000 units! They have been a huge success, and just about everybody has been extremely pleased with their windows that work. The reason I say "just about" is because I have had a small handful of complaints. Most of these complaints were they fit a little loose due to machining inconsistencies, or that they were not as thick as the original plastic part, and looks weird.
    Due to unpopular demand, I have made a new prototype pivot. This one costs me a bit more to make, but I should be able to price them the same. They are now machined more accurately in the holes, and the entire pivot is shaped the exact same as the original piece, thickness and all.

I had 12 units made to test the waters, and would like 5 beta testers from this forum to test them out. Send me a PM with your address, and I will send a single pivot for you to test for free. I'll toss a classic replacement pivot in the package as well, so you can compare the 2.
    Only the first 5 PM's will get this for free. Post a "PM sent" reply in this thread so that I don't get flooded.

When you get them, post your results with a PM and in this thread.

Thanks guys!
    JJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1705.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	558.3 KB 
ID:	125833  
    Jahrey78 likes this.

Liked
    2942 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by redruM69 View Post
    Hey guys, long time no talk!
    Since making these available, I have now sold over 10,000 units! They have been a huge success, and just about everybody has been extremely pleased with their windows that work. The reason I say "just about" is because I have had a small handful of complaints. Most of these complaints were they fit a little loose due to machining inconsistencies, or that they were not as thick as the original plastic part, and looks weird.
    Due to unpopular demand, I have made a new prototype pivot. This one costs me a bit more to make, but I should be able to price them the same. They are now machined more accurately in the holes, and the entire pivot is shaped the exact same as the original piece, thickness and all.

I had 12 units made to test the waters, and would like 5 beta testers from this forum to test them out. Send me a PM with your address, and I will send a single pivot for you to test for free. I'll toss a classic replacement pivot in the package as well, so you can compare the 2.
    Only the first 5 PM's will get this for free. Post a "PM sent" reply in this thread so that I don't get flooded.

When you get them, post your results with a PM and in this thread.

Thanks guys!
    JJ
    NOW you're talkin'!!! Those look great!
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    706 times
    Images

PM sent

Liked
    694 times

P.M. sent!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
    I don't entirely know what OCD is, but I know it's very fashionable to accuse people of having it if they try and do something properly. -James May

Liked
    76 times
    Images

PM sent!

Jim
    2002 Limited Access Cab 4WD - Thunder Grey Metallic - Oak Interior w/Leather Pkg - Auto-Dim Mirror w/Compass & Outside Temp
    TRD Off Road Pkg - All Weather Guard Pkg - Towing Pkg - LSD - Line-X - 2006 TRD Wheels w/ LT265/75R16 Cooper ST Maxx Tires
    Softopper - Rear Bilstein 5100's - Poly Steering Rack & Sway Bar Bushings - Original Frame - 101,000 Miles
    Pending Mods: IVD Coilovers - TC UCAs -Wheelers 3 leaf add-a-leaf - Rear Brake Proportioning Valve Relocation -ORS High Angle CV Boots
    N-FAB 3" Nerf Steps - Replace Leaky Steering Rack

Liked
    42 times

I installed two of your original units and they were great. If you send on one, I compare it to you original ones and let you know if there is a difference. The first generation ones were so good I believe it will be hard to improve on them. PM sent.
    tundra3400 likes this.
    2001 Tundra SR5 AC Original Owner, 84K Miles

Mods; Tacoma TRD wheels with Michelin LTX MS2, Double Din Kenwood Nav Unit with Sirius, Power Antenna, Back-Up Camera, Parrot Bluetooth, Electronic Day/Night Mirror with Temperature & Compass, '04 Taillights, Steering Wheel Modified by CarsDream.com, BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam

2012 BMW 535I M-Sport 25K Miles
    2001 Porsche Boxster S Original Owner 24K Miles
    2007 Mini Cooper S 29K Miles
    1997 Porsche 993 Turbo - SOLD